Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #31
arly1983
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Word

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #32
spottycat
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenBen View Post
Excellent post! I hope in particular it helps clarify the issue of reaction to detergent vs. ammonia burns caused by diapers not getting clean (that seems to have come up quite a bit lately).

Any experience with Thirsties pre-wash and superwash? The probiotics seem interesting--I just did our first load today and the dipes smell clean, but I'm sure time will tell.
I used it for awhile and liked it fine. The reason I quit using it was because I didn't think it worked any better than Biokleen liquid but was considerably more expensive.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #33
luvnmyboys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2muncher
seller
seller

My Mood:

great post! i've read a lot on detergents and i usually end up feeling i'm more confused or have more questions and you're post was straight to the point. thanks for summing up all the info in a short, easy read.
luvnmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #34
ATallGiraffe
Registered Users
Formerly: janny17
seller
seller

Great post! Thanks for clarifying, what sometimes seems like a complicated subject!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #35
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebree View Post
I suppose it depends on the machine, water, number and type of dipes - but I am with you, I just can't fathom that 1 Tablespoon of detergent can get a full load of anything clean - let alone cloth that has been pooped and peed in.

Here is my question I used to have soft water (a full house water softener) and really struggled with stinky diapers no matter if I used - Tide or Planet or country save or wahm. Now I moved and have water that is in the middle as far as hard and soft and my dipes are cleaner than ever - i mean I could probably use any decent detergent with absolutely no odors WHy would soft water make the dipes stinkier?

Soft water makes it harder to get a good rinse, so I am guessing you had some residue. Country save and WAHM detergents are mostly water softeners, so if you already have soft water, they are going to be less helpful in general.

Super hard water is bad too, but you have great water now for laundry, so it makes washing alot easier.

Oh, and as for 1 tbl spoon...yeah, that is about all it takes. MOST wahms dont add fillers to the detergents, so they are more concentrated. I have to say I dont really measure mine when I use it, but I have a FLer, with a little cup, so it makes it easy to eyeball. I DO use extra oxy with all my diaper loads though. (or, I should say I did, since DD is basically PLed!) I am kinda oxy freaky like that. (powdered tide and stuff is alot lighter by weight than my detergent is....so 1tblspoon is close to 1oz of powder.)

Last edited by Alioop; 07-31-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Alioop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #36
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Very informative hread! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #37
6Swans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So couldn't we just wash with Dawn all the time?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #38
March
Registered Users
seller

Subbing because I am finding this very informative.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #39
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
Soft water makes it harder to get a good rinse, so I am guessing you had some residue. Country save and WAHM detergents are mostly water softeners, so if you already have soft water, they are going to be less helpful in general.

Super hard water is bad too, but you have great water now for laundry, so it makes washing alot easier.

Oh, and as for 1 tbl spoon...yeah, that is about all it takes. MOST wahms dont add fillers to the detergents, so they are more concentrated. I have to say I dont really measure mine when I use it, but I have a FLer, with a little cup, so it makes it easy to eyeball. I DO use extra oxy with all my diaper loads though. (or, I should say I did, since DD is basically PLed!) I am kinda oxy freaky like that. (powdered tide and stuff is alot lighter by weight than my detergent is....so 1tblspoon is close to 1oz of powder.)
I feel like I'm seeking counseling. . .

This is me - super soft water from a whole house water softener. I'm convinced it is my water because there isn't any other reason I should be having issues - and I've always had issues (mostly ammonia)

So is wahm kinda of detergents aren't so great for my water - what would be??
Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #40
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG I this thread! It feels great to understand the cause of laundry woes in a scientific manner

So, many mamas in this thread so far have soft water. Our family has uber hard water...like buildup in even the showers/toilets/sink hard water. We have been using Hard Rockin' Green and were doing well, but my ODS recently got some ammonia burn so we stripped with Dawn and started anew. Any suggestions for what to try next? Not sure if I should go down the Tide powder + calgon route...or another WAHM detergent. Spam me, please!