Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #41
becker206
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

bump

Advertisement

becker206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #42
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Swans View Post
So couldn't we just wash with Dawn all the time?
Yep. A little Washing Soda would make it more effective.

Dawn is a high bubbling detergent, so it is not really the best choice....each surfactant has its own value, as a wash and as a bubbler, and dish detergent is high on bubbles, whereas laundry detergent is low on bubbles....but aside from the bubbles, you could use dawn all the time.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #43
Sunny_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wonderful thread, fear not the detergent! I can't stand when people think that they have ruined thier diapers by washing them with this or that. A good stripping ( or 2 or 3 depending on the problem) will generally take care of anything. I've bought the most disgusting prefolds and stripped, bleached and sunned them to perfection, not a stain not a stink! There my faves next to my AIO's. I'm a strictly Tide user here, I use a scoop of oxy at every wash as well and vinegar rinse every other load. I also use a squirt of dawn at least once a week or when my DS has had some seriously gross poops.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #44
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
I feel like I'm seeking counseling. . .

This is me - super soft water from a whole house water softener. I'm convinced it is my water because there isn't any other reason I should be having issues - and I've always had issues (mostly ammonia)

So is wahm kinda of detergents aren't so great for my water - what would be??
If I were you, I would go with one of the good detergents on the list on my link in the OP (with all the reviews).

Just dont use too much. Go with the MINIMUM that they suggest...as soft water is hard to rinse.

If you have ammonia issues, it is all about not getting clean, so you need to get those babies disinfected. Start with clean diapers. Wash them a bunch of times with HOT water and a touch of dawn....or boil them and wash them once with dawn. Up to you, but either will work.

And, vinegar will help you, vinegar in the prerinse will help to neutralize the ammonia and get the PH of the water down a bit.

Once you get the diapers clean by boiling or clear water washing them, try adding an extra clear water HOT rinse (or even a whole clear water HOT cycle) to just really rinse them. For soft water, it is alll about the rinsing.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #45
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2 View Post
OMG I this thread! It feels great to understand the cause of laundry woes in a scientific manner

So, many mamas in this thread so far have soft water. Our family has uber hard water...like buildup in even the showers/toilets/sink hard water. We have been using Hard Rockin' Green and were doing well, but my ODS recently got some ammonia burn so we stripped with Dawn and started anew. Any suggestions for what to try next? Not sure if I should go down the Tide powder + calgon route...or another WAHM detergent. Spam me, please!
So, super hard water needs more washing soda. WAHM detergents are good for you, because they are mostly created to address hard water issues. YOU need to use more than the suggested amts though. OR, you can buy some washing soda, and add it yourself to whatever detergent you want.

Look at the detergent reviews, and pick one that gets all greens (country save is my fave non WAHM), or go with any of the WAHM detergents.

--------Side note------------
We have gone with Tide here for summertime, regular tide, because it has optical whiteners....and optical whiteners are also sun blockers. So, when you wash your clothes in detergent that has optical whiteners, it adds SPF to your clothes. It takes about 10 washes, but you actually get pretty good SPF with it. I didnt add that to the original post to keep it simple, but anyway, we are using Tide on our regular laundry for the summer to block the sun. We did notice that hubby's work out gear is pit stinky. :P Yuk. So, Tide, with no extra boosts, is not working for the bacteria that makes BO....and will probably not work on diapers either. Good to know. Hubby requested that I start using my detergent on his workout gear, because he is getting stinky. So, I am not a fan of Tide myself, but we have super hard water too. And, interestingly, hubby has NO bo on his body (he is the least smelly guy!), but his clothes are getting stinky all by themselves. Kinda like diapers and ammonia....babies dont smell like sinky diapers....it is the bacteria living IN the diapers that get stinky.

Last edited by Alioop; 07-31-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Alioop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #46
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
I feel like I'm seeking counseling. . .
Well, maybe I should change the title of the thread to "diaper detergent support group?

And, maybe I should have put my resume on here too......

Among my many odd qualifications, the last thing I was doing, before I quit to be a MOM (and then a WAHM) I was in grad school working on my Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy. I guess I just start group therapy everywhere I go.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #47
Woe_Betide
Registered Users

Hi
Alioop,you made me subscribe to ds!I'v been lurking a long time...

Thank you a lot for all those informations.It's gonna help a lot of peaople.

But I have to say I need help too.My son's diaper smells of ammonia in the morning.And I tried a lot of things,nothing seems to help.I will strip my diapers,that's sure.As far as i know,the water here is not soft or hard.I have a very normal top loader.

But anyway I have trouble with detergent.I tried many (omaiki among others and right now nature clean 3x liquid) but everyone but rockin green is extremely hard to rince out.There is alway tiny bubbles,sometimes up to 5 hot rinces.And right now I'm using 1 1/2 teaspoon!I use vinegard during the soak(I soak overnight after a pre-rince)

I stopped using rng because he is costly and right now I cant afford it.

What can I do or add to my laundry?I would mutch prefer to use what I have here than to use the little money ! have to buy something wich will maybe no even work...

Something else...I'm a member on another forum about diapers but in french.I'm sure what you told about detergent would help people there too.Can I translate it and put it there?With a link to here and everything so that it's clear its you who have written it.

Edit to add a question.

Last edited by Woe_Betide; 08-01-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Woe_Betide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #48
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woe_Betide View Post
Hi
Alioop,you made me subscribe to ds!I'v been lurking a long time...

Thank you a lot for all those informations.It's gonna help a lot of peaople.

But I have to say I need help too.My son's diaper smells of ammonia in the morning.And I tried a lot of things,nothing seems to help.I will strip my diapers,that's sure.As far as i know,the water here is not soft or hard.I have a very normal top loader.

But anyway I have trouble with detergent.I tried many (omaiki among others and right now nature clean 3x liquid) but everyone but rockin green is extremely hard to rince out.There is alway tiny bubbles,sometimes up to 5 hot rinces.And right now I'm using 1 1/2 teaspoon!I use vinegard during the soak(I soak overnight after a pre-rince)

I stopped using rng because he is costly and right now I cant afford it.

What can I do or add to my laundry?I would mutch prefer to use what I have here than to use the little money ! have to buy something wich will maybe no even work...

Something else...I'm a member on another forum about diapers but in french.I'm sure what you told about detergent would help people there too.Can I translate it and put it there?With a link to here and everything so that it's clear its you who have written it.

Edit to add a question.
Sure, translate away. My french is horrible, or I would help!

I would try boiling. That is a good place to start with a clean slate.

Just get a big pot, with alot of water, and bring it to a boil. you just need to have the diapers in there for 10 minutes or so, and them wash them with a squirt of dish detergent.

Always wash with HOT water, and rinse with Hot water. Hot rinses better than cold. (we think of washing with cold for stain removal, but for bacteria and soap removal, hot is better)

We also switched diapers here to avoid buildup. We had some really nice thick Bamboo fitteds...with lots of layers. Those just never seemed to be able to get clean. I ended up making my own inserts, out of flat diapers instead. SO, for overnight, which is when the ammonia is really a problem, we used a thin fitted with no snap in or sewn in insert, so it was just a couple layers of fabric. Then, we folded up a flat diaper which I had made, into a big "pad" insert. These folded inserts washed and dried very easily, and were easier to keep clean.

I made the inserts with bamboo or bamboo hemp (could use cotton). Cut to about 15" x 50". If you use fleece or another knit fabric, you dont have to even sew it. You can just cut. If you use a woven (like flannel) you need to serge or finish the edges to prevent fraying.

Then just fold the insert up so that it makes an apx 4"x15" insert.

You can adjust the number of layers your child needs by adjusting how long the fabric is. shorter than 50" if you have a NB. We did this with a 2 YO, so we needed alot of fabric for over night.

Or, you can buy flat fold diapers and use those if you are not a DIY kind of person.

Rocking green is easy to rinse out because it has very little actual soap or surfactant in it. It is mostly water conditioners. Most commercial detergents are much higher on the soap, with less of the washing soda.

If you are using a commercial detergent, use less of it than suggested and it will be easier to rinse out. Add washing soda, and it will help with the rinsing too.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #49
becker206
Registered Users
seller

this is so helpful - thank you!
becker206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #50
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

Thank for this post! I it!! I was just wondering what the Borax I bought the other day (because I like to play in the laundry isle) really does!

I have a questions or two for you...
1. What do you think about RLR and using it to strip?
2. And what about Calgon?

I've been monkeying with my laundry routine since I started CDing and haven't found one that works yet. We have well water that is only moderately hard, a tiny bit alkaline, and has a generous amount of Manganese.

ETA another question-
What amount, if any, of urine smell is normal?
I dont get stinkies on a freshly peed in diaper. But, the overnight diapers are stinky in the morning and the pail is stinky by the time laundry (every other) day rolls around.

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.

Last edited by mamahen; 08-01-2010 at 04:38 PM.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote