Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #501
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

I've never really been particularly concerned about the ph in my diapers but I'm not really convinced that all the detergent is coming out with a regular wash though. I'm not paranoid about build-up either as for the most part it doesn't harm anything as long as it's not too extreme. Every couple of months I strip them a bit just to be on the safe side and there's always tons of suds.

Think there's any validity to the idea of vinegar helping to rinse detergent out? The old 'put some in a downy ball' thing...

Karen.

Advertisement

KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #502
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

No, I dont think it is useful to remove detergent. Commercial laundry services use an acid in the final rinse to alter the PH of the water, stop iron from depositing, and to remove the bleach that is commonly used. I think that is where the vinegar as rinse agent idea came from. (called laundry sour)
Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #503
ThreeLittleCubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subing because I keep coming back to this thread to try and figure out a wash routine
Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #504
usmcmatthews
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wanna keep tabs
Old 10-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #505
snowboundmum
Registered Users
seller

OH my gosh, I feel so enlightened. We just got a water softener and suddenly had stink! Your post completely explained this - I think I need to do an extra rinse and drop the washing soda. Thanks mama!
snowboundmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #506
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have a whole house water softener. I have to literally rinse the diapers for an entire day almost to get them free of detergent and they are still stinky.
I have switched detergents twice since moving here 3 months ago. nothing is working.
I tried liquid biokleen (kind with no enzymes, we can't do those) and then I just recently purchased charlies soap.
More bubbles with the biokleen, even just using 1/4oz.
Charlies I have used the one tablespoon and also tried the one teaspoon.
I have tried every combination of additives and most recently stopped all additives. No luck with the stink.
I want to use my oxygen cleaner in the loads, but this makes it super soapy and bubbly and I have to rinse a million times. I have the generic store brand oxygen cleaner, that I thought was free of additives, but maybe it has tons of stuff in it that is hard to rinse.
Not sure what to do at this point. But the ammonia blows me away each morning.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #507
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Oxygen cleaner has no additives in it that will hurt anything even if there are bubbles.

I think there is too much worry about bubbles really, so dont worry about that.....

The ammonia problem is not going to be because of detergent residue.

If you have ammonia problems....it is because the diapers are not clean. Not clean means NOT too much detergent, but NOT getting the pee and poop out.

Detergent is not an ammonia creator, pee and poop are.

Ammonia is created when urine and heat activates bacteria that are lurking in your diapers. If your wash routine is not getting all the bacteria out of your laundry, it hangs out in there...and when the urine hits, the bacteria starts eating it, and ammonia is created as a by-product.

So, the key to keeping ammonia issues at bay is to make sure your diapers are clean...and by clean, we really mean disinfected. Normally, just washing is enough to do that, but for some people with difficult water, or inefficient washing machines, thick diapers, or high-performance fabrics...or some combo of these....it is hard to get the inners of the diapers disinfected.

Heat kills bacteria. Chlorine bleach kills bacteria. UV kills.....but all of these need to reach the portion of the diaper where the bacteria is hiding. So, if the UV (sun) cannot "see" the fabric (like the 3rd layer of a thick insert fx) then it wont do anything to the bacteria. Boiling works well because it raises the temp of the whole diaper. You can also hot steam iron your diapers for the same reason. Chlorine bleach will work if you soak them, but bleach can be hard on fabrics.

Ammonia can also be created if your child has the bacteria native in their urinary tract.....it can be a sign of a bladder infection even. (not saying this is your particular problem).

Garness and I have worked on this for a while, and are not getting anywhere...anyone else have any ideas I am out of ???
Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #508
whiteyacht
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Regular use of bleach has been the only thing that works to keep ammonia and any other stink at bay for us. We also have a whole house softener. I can use any detergent, but I just use the lowest recommended amount on the packaging. I put just a couple tablespoons of bleach in the hot wash part of my routine. It may take a few washes with bleach to really get out the stink, but for us, using a small amount each wash has had no ill effects.
whiteyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #509
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
Oxygen cleaner has no additives in it that will hurt anything even if there are bubbles.

I think there is too much worry about bubbles really, so dont worry about that.....

The ammonia problem is not going to be because of detergent residue.

If you have ammonia problems....it is because the diapers are not clean. Not clean means NOT too much detergent, but NOT getting the pee and poop out.

Detergent is not an ammonia creator, pee and poop are.

Ammonia is created when urine and heat activates bacteria that are lurking in your diapers. If your wash routine is not getting all the bacteria out of your laundry, it hangs out in there...and when the urine hits, the bacteria starts eating it, and ammonia is created as a by-product.

So, the key to keeping ammonia issues at bay is to make sure your diapers are clean...and by clean, we really mean disinfected. Normally, just washing is enough to do that, but for some people with difficult water, or inefficient washing machines, thick diapers, or high-performance fabrics...or some combo of these....it is hard to get the inners of the diapers disinfected.

Heat kills bacteria. Chlorine bleach kills bacteria. UV kills.....but all of these need to reach the portion of the diaper where the bacteria is hiding. So, if the UV (sun) cannot "see" the fabric (like the 3rd layer of a thick insert fx) then it wont do anything to the bacteria. Boiling works well because it raises the temp of the whole diaper. You can also hot steam iron your diapers for the same reason. Chlorine bleach will work if you soak them, but bleach can be hard on fabrics.

Ammonia can also be created if your child has the bacteria native in their urinary tract.....it can be a sign of a bladder infection even. (not saying this is your particular problem).

Garness and I have worked on this for a while, and are not getting anywhere...anyone else have any ideas I am out of ???
I have no different advice, just want to reinforce the idea of using WAY more detergent. A teaspoon of detergent can't possible be enough to properly clean diapers. I just can't see detergent build-up being the issue with the tiny amount of detergent that you're using and the amount of rinsing you're doing. I'd use the full recomended amount (or at least very close to it, I wouldn't go lower than half the recomended amount) and see what that does. What have you got to lose? With a diaper routine that takes all day and yet still results in stinky diapers, surely things can't get much worse?

Believe me, I know it can be hard to get out of the mindset of build-up, bubbles and small quantities of detergent. I've been there, done that. But really, at the point of using a teaspoon of detergent and rinsing all day, that really just can't be the issue.

Try the full recomended amount and maybe a bit of bleach for the first load (you wouldn't necessarily need to continue this, although even if you did it's not the end of the world). Just try it and let us know what happens.

Karen.
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #510
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have super hard water...there are mineral deposits on everything. So it looks like I should add washing soda and oxyclean to my routine.

I have a FLer. Here are my questions:

1. Where do I get washing soda (is there a brand name or is it just called washing soda)?
2. Can I use oxyclean (powder) and washing soda (powder I assume) with liquid detergent?
3. Do I put all 3 things in at the same time?
4. Where do I put the oxyclean and washing soda (on the diapers or in the dispenser)?

Thank you!