Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #511
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

I only used the teaspoon just once and that is how much charlies recommends for a half load. Just a tablespoon for a full load.
Anyway today I used a tablespoon scoop of charlies and a small scoop of oxygen cleaner. I have done the initial rinse, hot wash with the detergents, two cold rinses and a second whole round of hot wash with nothing and cold rinses.
Now I am doing a hot wash again, and there is SO MUCH soap residue that I really don't think it would be a good think to take them out and dry them at this point.
My water is just so soft that it is unable to rinse the detergent and this morning the ammonia stink was so bad it about knocked my over. My daughters bottom looks burned today.
I have used bleach occasionally, but I have a septic system and our land lord asked that we not use bleach on a regular basis, would every diaper wash be OK?
I did boil my flats at one point for 5 minutes each and it honestly didn't work to get rid of the ammonia, that is why I thought it was a detergent issue. Maybe they needed to be boiled longer.
I am honestly at a loss and have tried too many combinations of things to count.
I am ready to get disposable diapers for night time.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #512
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by garness View Post
I only used the teaspoon just once and that is how much charlies recommends for a half load. Just a tablespoon for a full load.
A teaspoon for a half load sounds off to me. A teaspoon is something like 1/4th of a tablespoon, so you'd need at least twice that much (if not more because your washer may be using more than half the water even if you only have half the clothes/diapers). But that`s surely not the issue if you only did that once recently...

Quote:
Anyway today I used a tablespoon scoop of charlies and a small scoop of oxygen cleaner. I have done the initial rinse, hot wash with the detergents, two cold rinses and a second whole round of hot wash with nothing and cold rinses.
Now I am doing a hot wash again, and there is SO MUCH soap residue that I really don't think it would be a good think to take them out and dry them at this point.

My water is just so soft that it is unable to rinse the detergent and this morning the ammonia stink was so bad it about knocked my over. My daughters bottom looks burned today.
Well, additional rinses won't hurt anything so if it makes you feel better then go ahead. But I also have a whole house softener (so very soft water as well), I've used the full recomended amount of Tide for several months now, only rarely run an extra hot wash and I've never had any problems. And I also have lots of suds in those extra hot washes, that's why I run them. I've never even really had a reason to do them, I just do it because I also have trouble getting out of the 'watch for suds' mindset. But really, you shouldn't watch for suds constantly like that. It's really not the greatest indicator of issues (I have tons of suds but no ammonia at all) and you'll just drive yourself nuts. And besides, I swear that it's really just not plausible to have detergent build-up when you're using a clean rinsing detergent and rinsing like mad at every wash.

If you're already using the full recomended amount on a regular basis then I'd consider switching detergents to something stronger like Tide. Have you actually tried a detergent with enzymes and had problems specifically with the enzymes? Is it possible that any resultant rash was due to similar issues that you're facing now? Or consider also that your little one is older now, so her skin may be less sensitive. Maybe only use the Tide every 2nd wash, that way you`d get less enzymes building up in the fabric. Either that or use bleach on a regular basis.

I know you`re skeptical about using more detergent or something that`s not clean rinsing like Tide. Believe me, I understand that very well. I was very skeptical as well but I figured I didn`t have much to lose because as it was only a sanitary cycle or bleach kept my diapers ammonia-free. So out of curiosity more than anything else, I tried the full amount of Tide (because sooo many other moms swear by it). If I`m totally honest, I think I was going into it to prove them wrong. That maybe Tide worked for some people but that surely most people would have problems regularly using the full amount and I was sure I would be one of them. But after using a whole box (40 loads), I still haven`t had those problems I predicted. And this despite the fact that my diapers do indeed have lots of suds when I run my extra wash (every 3-4 weeks or so). I am now experimenting with soap nuts, hoping to use something more eco-friendly and cheaper, or at least use less of the un-eco-friendly stuff. The nuts worked ok before but only if I ran a sanitary cycle - in retrospect I think there wasn`t enough water in the machine to properly release the saponin and really clean the diapers well so now I`m experimenting with the liquid instead, so I can assure more saponin is in there. I did it for the first time last week, used 4 tablespoons of liquid and 1 tablespoon of Tide. Got clean & ammonia-free diapers but still loads of suds in the additional cycle I ran out of curiosity. We`ll see how things progress as I use this more often. But if it doesn`t work then I won`t hesitate to go back to Tide. Better to use a less than perfect detergent and have clean diapers rather than deal with nasty blisters or have to turn to disposables. Ok, so now I`m rambling.....

Quote:
I have used bleach occasionally, but I have a septic system and our land lord asked that we not use bleach on a regular basis, would every diaper wash be OK?
Has the bleach helped when you used it? Personally I wouldn't worry too too much about the septic issue if you're only using a little for diapers every couple of days. I wouldn't start running multiple loads a day each with a cup of bleach. I'm no expert in septics but one load every 2nd or 3rd day with half a cup sounds fairly benign to me. We also have a septic system and while I do avoid bleach as well, I wouldn't worry about that small a quantity. Or maybe go with a half cup every 2nd wash instead of every wash?

Don`t suppose you have a sanitary cycle option on your machine? Benefits of total disinfection without the risk of bleach or the trouble of boiling...

But you know, if you need to go with disposables for a little while then it's not a crime. Personally I think that every issue can be resolved (I battled ammonia for 18 months!!! - I also resorted to disposables for some of that time while I figured things out) but sometimes it's best for one's own sanity to just take a break sometimes. You can always revisit the issue later on when you've taken a break and your patience levels are restored.

Karen.
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #513
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Oh, and on a totally different note... I've heard that rinsing the nighttime diapers can be helpful in preventing ammonia (I know at least a couple of people that had ammonia issues and this solved them). I don't know what the science behind this would be (maybe Alioop could weigh in???) but maybe it just makes the diapers easier to clean (less bacteria growth in rinsed diapers)? Or maybe ammonia salts don't build-up as much? Anyway, even without scientific back-up it might be worth trying. If nothing else, at least opening your pail won't make you faint!

Karen.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #514
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try running a warm rinse cycle with 1/4-1/2 cup of regular hydrogen peroxide that you buy at the store. Then wash on hot with a different detergent.
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #515
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do rinse the overnight diapers with plain water right after taken them off of her, so that is covered but isn't fixing the issue.
I really cannot use detergent with enzymes, she is very allergic to it. SO TIDE is OUT. I recently tried a detergent with enzymes again to she if that would help and she got A TERRIBLE RASH. SO no enzymes please. I will not use TIDE on my diapers.
I will try some regular hydrogen peroxide and I did buy a package of sposies today to try for night time. I am actually getting really excited for her to finish potty training. We are about half way there at this point, but she is still wet and naps night time and going out of the house.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #516
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and I don't have a new front loader with sanitary cycle, but a regular old top loader. I would love a new machine.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #517
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Ok, I get it, no Tide. It was just a suggestion, you hadn't given details about it so I couldn't know... The general point I was making was about not obsessing about suds, using more detergent and/or not worrying about using only a CD friendly detergent still stands though.

All that I can suggest then is looking up a new detergent on the Pinstripes and Polkadots list:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Or trying the bleach...

Karen.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #518
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Oh, and oxygen bleach produces hydrogen peroxide in water. I know some suggest pure peroxide and personally I don`t know much about it but I remember that Alioop mentioned in a past post that Oxy was better for this, produced more peroxide and was cheaper if I remember correctly.

Karen.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #519
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

maybe I will try the bleach more frequently.
I have been using the full recommended amount of detergent.
I'm sorry for sounding snippy. I am so frustrated.
Thanks for the responses. It helps.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #520
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

It's ok, I understand the frustration. Hmmm, well, I'm sort of throwing stuff out there now...

Did the other enzymatic detergent get the diapers cleaner at least? Not that I'm suggesting using the enzymes but that might at least indicate that the Charlies wasn't doing the job for whatever reason. Might indicate the need for another non-enymatic detergent. Have you always used Charlies?

You mention that you're potty training, is it possible that because you have fewer diapers you're going longer between washes?

How hot is your hot water? What's the heater set at? Is the heater very far from the washer (so that by the time the water is running hot there's already lots of water in the tub)? Maybe a combination of low water temp and being far away results in washing in water that's more warm rather than hot?

Have you tried vinegar in the pre-rinse or wash? The acid would help neutralize the ammonia and help the detergent clean better.

What about using a larger quantity of Oxy-Clean and letting the diapers soak in that for a few hours? I remember reading about that on a diaper website (I think it was Sunshine Diapers or something like that). She suggested using 4-5 scoops of the Oxy with some warm/hot water (the oxy works better in hotter water) and letting them soak for at least a few hours.

Hmmm, I don't know. That's about all I can think of. Hope something helps... If not at least try the bleach and see if it helps. If it does then you can decide how comfortable you are with the septic thing (maybe even talk to the landlord and see what they say, they might well give you the go ahead if it's just like a half cup a week or whatever).

Karen.