Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #531
CWHmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

What about the suds vs no suds in the rinse debate? I use Tide, just under the 1 line. Works great, no stinkies or ammonia or stains. But if I check the rinse cycle, there are tons of suds, almost as much as the wash cycle. I've done up to 8 hot washes (as rinses) and still had suds. Does it REALLY not matter if there are suds in the rinse? And ok to just do a regular wash cycle and not check the rinse cycle? I've tried cutting back the amount of Tide to anywhere between 2tbs to 4 tbs, but then they aren't clean and still smell like poop.

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #532
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHmama View Post
What about the suds vs no suds in the rinse debate? I use Tide, just under the 1 line. Works great, no stinkies or ammonia or stains. But if I check the rinse cycle, there are tons of suds, almost as much as the wash cycle. I've done up to 8 hot washes (as rinses) and still had suds. Does it REALLY not matter if there are suds in the rinse? And ok to just do a regular wash cycle and not check the rinse cycle? I've tried cutting back the amount of Tide to anywhere between 2tbs to 4 tbs, but then they aren't clean and still smell like poop.
I dont think it matters. You want clean diapers. If you have sensitive skin, the residue might bother you....but as long as you dont have ammonia or stink issues, the diapers are clean, you just have detergent stuff left over. Tide, and other commercial detergents like that are formulated to leave things in your laundry....optical whiteners for example. These are basically like temporary dyes that make your whites look white. They dont rinse completely out in the rinse cycle, by design. SO, whatever foam you are seeing on the edges of your water are probably Tide's additives that they want left in your clothes.....and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

My whole philosophy to this laundry thing is.....if it works, go with it.

So, dont look to hard at your solution. If tide works for you, your diapers are clean, your baby is happy, and no rashes or stink, then great!

If something is NOT working, then look at a change, but as they say...."if it aint broke, dont fix it."
Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #533
bvholbi
Registered Users
seller

Thank you, Alioop, for all the information in this post. You are like the Detergent Goddess!
bvholbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #534
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
If something is NOT working, then look at a change, but as they say...."if it aint broke, dont fix it."
OMG. Sooooooooo true! That is how I got into my current mess with my diapers...I thought I'd jump on the RnG bandwagon and try something different. I had been using Country Save for a whole year with NO problems. 3 months after trying out RnG...my dipes STILL smell!

Thanks again for this great post!!!!!!!!!!!! And your help for all the mommas.

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #535
kykykam
Registered Users

My Mood:

OK....I have read through about 30 pages so far but need some help.

We have semi hard water I think. No calcium and lime but lots of rust. I have tried many different detergents, regular and WAHM with no luck. We usually have a funky wet dog poopy smell. Eventually an ammonia smell. I just boiled (15 mins each diaper) and then Dawn stripped everything I own that is currently in our rotation. After the Dawn I rinsed and rinsed until I couldn't smell the Dawn anymore (all hot rinses about 4 or 5 each load). Today is the first day we used clean diapers. I wash nightly (2 in dipes) and use a diaper sprayer for poopies here was my routine tonight:

Hot rinse
Hot wash with Tide Free powder between the 1 and 2 line a scoop of OXY and Washing soda using the Tide scoop between the 1 and 2 line
Hot rinse- still smelled like poop especially my RaR pockets...not the inserts
Hot rinse and then just let it finish the cycle with a double cold rinse...still smells like poop.

I certainly cant boil diapers daily. I have used vinegar in a prerinse before and have had the same prob. I have used Rocking Green, Lulus, All small and mighty free and clear, Tide, and always have the same problems. I do get ammonia stink on occasion (usually when I am using RnG) but almost always have this funky poopy smell. Even after the first use after a Dawn and Bleach strip. My hot water heater is maxed out (water temp is 165 according to our meat thermometer). I have also used BacOut sprayed directly on every poopy diaper but that takes about 5 rinses to get the smell of limes off the diapers. Anyhow...I don't know where I am going wrong and would appreciate some advice.
kykykam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #536
kykykam
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just finished reading the rest just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I think I have pretty much followed your advice to a T so if there is anything else I should try, I'd love to know.

OH! And I just ran them through another Hot Wash with another scoop of Tide. Going to let that cycle finish out and check them in the morning.

Last edited by kykykam; 10-29-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to add
Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #537
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykykam View Post
OK....I have read through about 30 pages so far but need some help.

We have semi hard water I think. No calcium and lime but lots of rust. I have tried many different detergents, regular and WAHM with no luck. We usually have a funky wet dog poopy smell. Eventually an ammonia smell. I just boiled (15 mins each diaper) and then Dawn stripped everything I own that is currently in our rotation. After the Dawn I rinsed and rinsed until I couldn't smell the Dawn anymore (all hot rinses about 4 or 5 each load). Today is the first day we used clean diapers. I wash nightly (2 in dipes) and use a diaper sprayer for poopies here was my routine tonight:

Hot rinse
Hot wash with Tide Free powder between the 1 and 2 line a scoop of OXY and Washing soda using the Tide scoop between the 1 and 2 line
Hot rinse- still smelled like poop especially my RaR pockets...not the inserts
Hot rinse and then just let it finish the cycle with a double cold rinse...still smells like poop.

I certainly cant boil diapers daily. I have used vinegar in a prerinse before and have had the same prob. I have used Rocking Green, Lulus, All small and mighty free and clear, Tide, and always have the same problems. I do get ammonia stink on occasion (usually when I am using RnG) but almost always have this funky poopy smell. Even after the first use after a Dawn and Bleach strip. My hot water heater is maxed out (water temp is 165 according to our meat thermometer). I have also used BacOut sprayed directly on every poopy diaper but that takes about 5 rinses to get the smell of limes off the diapers. Anyhow...I don't know where I am going wrong and would appreciate some advice.
Rust is not necessarily an indicator of hard water, so lets look up your water quality, where do you live?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #538
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As for the smell of the bac out, you dont have to get the smell out. Your diapers are not going to smell like nothing if you use a perfumed product like that.

And, I can see that you have tried a whole bunch of things, but what I really need to know is where you are now.

You have boiled and stripped....

but what is the problem now? How are the diapers and which ones are giving the problems?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #539
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey Alipoop, I have a question, I just posted as a new thread. I read almost all 40 some odd pages and switched to Tide. I switched to Tide Regular Powder in my HE washer. I have bought some powder HE because I got worried about my machine. (Have not used the HE pwder yet) The regular fixed my issues (ammonia and even ammonia burns), but I think it made my pockets leak. Do you think that could be it, or are the just crappy (sorry for the pun) pockets that are about to die anyway? They are a name brand but not stellar quality, but GREAT GREAT customer service, and for what I paid, a real good deal.
Anyhow, I now have mostly PF and covers. I need my diaps clean, but I need them to last. I tried Charlies, and it gave my girl a rash. She is only allergic to Kiwi and Charlies...weird huh (I guess in relation to cocunut somehow, which she has not tried)? No tropical living for her.

I like my tide, but I am concerned about 1) longevity of the diaps using Tide, and 2) longevity of my machine not using an HE product.

Any thoughts? I like Tide for my regular clothes to.

I said all that, and am due in 2weeks with a baby boy...who given my luck, will have an entirely different set of allergies.

Also DD has severe asthma. When it is kicked up, I prefer the F/C just in case.

Oh and THANKYOU SO SO MUCH!! YOU SAVED MY CDing!!

Last edited by Numommy; 10-30-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: clarity
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #540
kykykam
Registered Users

My Mood:

I live in Grand Ridge, Illinois (LaSalle County)....I have tried finding our water quality without much luck. :/

Last night was our first wash after boiling & stripping. I did hot rinse, hot wash with Tide, washing soda and Oxy and then another hot rinse. My Rumparooz Pockets are bad...the pockets themselves, not the inserts. Everything else had a bit of a funk so I washed again in hot with only Tide and a hot rinse and that seemed to kick it (except the bacout smell). I have a brand new non HE Top Loader. I bought this specifically for diapers after RnG and Sarah herself from Pinstripes and Polkadots told me my FL was notoriously bad for getting diapers clean.

I should add that my Rumparooz are only a couple of weeks old and I don't particulary like them so they aren't used often. Probably 4 or 5 times now so I don't think there would be a build up (only washed in Lulus up until I ran out and am using Tide).

Tonight I am going to cut out the washing soda and see where that gets me. In the meantime I will wait to hear from you.