Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #901
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garness View Post
your right. I just can't CD at night time any more.
For a while I'd come to that conclusion as well. And when I had I did come up with a few creative ideas that helped in dealing with disposables and being perhaps a little easier on the planet (if that's one of the reason you cd). The ideas might seem silly since they involve using both cloth and sposie at the same time but if you're already wash day diapers anyway then it's really no extra washing or anything so why not?

First, if sposies leak for you (I know they did often at night for all of my kids) then maybe try putting a cloth diaper over top of a sposie. Even with cover and all. Might seem a little redundant but the sposie will keep her dry and prevent the formation of ammonia, while the diaper & cover will protect pjs and sheets. A cover alone might help a bit too but since there's nothing to absorb then it might not make much difference.

As for being a little gentler on the earth, maybe you could try some Gdiaper (I recommend that brand simply because it's the one I know is compostable/flushable but if another brand is as well then it's all the same) inserts. Either alone as the actual diaper or with a cloth diaper. I found that if I used a flushable insert as a doubler inside the cloth they worked fabulous. The flushables alone didn't work as well for me, although they worked much better laid in a velcro wrap or laid on top of a pocket diaper (not inside the pocket itself, but essentially using the pocket as a cover) instead of with the gpants. But with a fitted diaper they worked great. The insert absorbed almost all the urine so there was never any ammonia at all, but yet the fitted diaper + cover was way more reliable and bullet-proof (than either a disposable or a hybrid system alone). Same principal as I mentioned above with a sposie, but this time at least you can compost or flush the insert. Plus it's plastic-free, which is also more eco-friendly and could also help with sensitive skin since it breathes better (you could even use it with a wool cover for the ultimate in breathability). More expensive than sposies for sure but only using one day makes it not too bad.

Just wanted to add that by using a disposable with a fitted/cover on top, you can also save money on the sposies. By using this technique you can afford to use really cheap store brands that might otherwise leak all the time for example. You can also use sposies that don't are essentially too small as well. As long as you can get the diaper physically on the baby (without it being so tight that it hurts of course) it doesn't matter if the tabs just barely touch the front of the diaper, the sposie will still absorb the vast majority of the pee so there'll be no ammonia. I did that once when someone gave me sposies that were too small. They were still just big enough that I could reach the tabs to the front and that's all that mattered. Heck, even if the tabs didn't reach the front, you still might be able to work it just using the disposable as a 'liner' inside the diaper.

Karen.

Advertisement

Last edited by KarenCmomto4; 02-06-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added info
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #902
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

Grrrrr, I tried 1/2 scoop country save, 1 scoop oxyclean, and 1 T washing soda (after a thorough boil strip AND vinegar soak of diapers that were only having stink issues). Now my diapers COMPLETELY repel.

I have a front loader HE and moderately hard water. I do plenty of rinses and haven't had repelling issues before.

Only thing that changed was me using CJs and doing this recommended washing routine.

What to do?
Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #903
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1025 View Post
Grrrrr, I tried 1/2 scoop country save, 1 scoop oxyclean, and 1 T washing soda (after a thorough boil strip AND vinegar soak of diapers that were only having stink issues). Now my diapers COMPLETELY repel.

I have a front loader HE and moderately hard water. I do plenty of rinses and haven't had repelling issues before.

Only thing that changed was me using CJs and doing this recommended washing routine.

What to do?

Are you using CJ's directly on the diapers?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #904
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

As in putting it on my baby's bum and then putting on a diaper with no liner. YUP (stupidly). But CJs claims you can do that, so I am confused!
Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #905
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1025 View Post
As in putting it on my baby's bum and then putting on a diaper with no liner. YUP (stupidly). But CJs claims you can do that, so I am confused!
I used a "diaper safe cream" and had repelling issues in a very short period of time. I stopped using the cream on the diapers directly and stripped. I haven't had a repelling issue since.

No matter what the product claims its still not a good idea to use directly on the diaper. I know my pocket diapers all say do not use bum cream on them directly. All diaper creams use some sort of oil in it so it creates a barrier against baby's bottom so the pee and poop doesn't damage the skin. (Some have additional stuff in it to help baby heal). Well when it gets on the cloth it creates a barrier too. It is much harder to wash away the diaper cream residue left on diapers with a regular washing routine.

My recommendation is strip the diapers again with dawn and lots of hot water. If you have pocket diapers you may even need to use a soft scrub brush with a little dawn on it to clean the pockets if the problem is really bad or stripping doesn't fix it. Then go to your local fabric/craft store and buy a 1/2 yard of fleece or use an old fleece blanket. Cut the fabric in to diaper size strips and use those as a liner when you use the cream. I do this and then I hand wash the liners in the sink with soap before I put in my diaper pail. This way the oils don't get on the rest of the diapers. One other thing I have noticed was my fleece liners (which I hardly ever use) have stains on them and my diapers don't. Using the liners will keep your diapers looking better for longer.

Last edited by SarahR.; 02-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.
SarahR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #906
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenCmomto4 View Post
For a while I'd come to that conclusion as well. And when I had I did come up with a few creative ideas that helped in dealing with disposables and being perhaps a little easier on the planet (if that's one of the reason you cd). The ideas might seem silly since they involve using both cloth and sposie at the same time but if you're already wash day diapers anyway then it's really no extra washing or anything so why not?

First, if sposies leak for you (I know they did often at night for all of my kids) then maybe try putting a cloth diaper over top of a sposie. Even with cover and all. Might seem a little redundant but the sposie will keep her dry and prevent the formation of ammonia, while the diaper & cover will protect pjs and sheets. A cover alone might help a bit too but since there's nothing to absorb then it might not make much difference. <snip>
Good post! .

Well we're finally to the point where we most always use cloth overnight....BUT for the random nights where we don't (usually when DD has a rash and creams/antifungals/etc. are required), we do the sposie + cloth method. This combo is bascially bulletproof. The sposie will absorb the most and keep baby dry, and the cloth on top protects from leaking. A few combos I've tried that work:

1.) sposie on first, covered by a nice, thick absorbant fitted like Hoot Hoot Baby fitteds. or....

2.) sposie on baby, covered with a simple Bummis cover....either a Superbrite or a Superlite, with a trifolded microfiber towel layed in it. The mf towel will be between the sposie and the cover.

3.) sposie on baby, covered with a pocket diaper (almost always FB perfect fit in size Medium) which has been stuffed with either a flat or a trim mf towel.

coffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #907
IzzisMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mamas,
My head is spinning... I've spent hours over the last couple of months reading and re-reading this thread!

As with most here, I'm battling the stinkies, especially with overnight diapers. For the last few weeks I've been spraying all of my diapers with a 50/50 mix of bac out and water, and rinsing/washing out the poopy ones before that. To complicate things I've recently bought a bunch of diapers on fsot, so I'm not sure what "issues" some of those are coming to me with...

I spent yesterday stripping all of my diapers with Dawn...

I have soft water and a front loader that doesn't have a sanitary cycle or a hot rinse (what does "turning back the dials" mean?). Since DD was born just over 6 mos ago I've tried an Etsy WAHM soap, Clean B, Classic Rock (1 Tbsp), and I've recently been testing Sweet Cheeks.

My regular routine has been:
Cold water quick cycle, no detergent
Hot Water Heavy Duty wash w/extra rinse w/soap and 1/2 cup vinegar
Second Hot Water Heavy duty wash with extra rinse with a tiny bit of ecover about once a week.

I've tried the wet towel, adding pitchers full of hot water to the wash cycle, etc. I end up stripping about once a month or so... and the routine's a bear!

Based on what I've read, I'm thinking that I'm going to rinse out every diaper in hot water instead of just the poopy diaper and do my quick cycle on hot (with soap?) and keep on truckin'...

Questions though... I (think?) I gathered that since I have soft water, I shouldn't be using a product with washing soda. Is that right? I looked at all of the bags I have here, and all of them have washing soda as either the first or second ingredient. Is the answer Tide? I haven't gone that route because at first I thought I wasn't supposed to... and, I love to support WAHMs (not to mention I have soooo much laundry soap)!

For mamas with soft water and a front loader - what are you doing? Do I need Tide and/or Oxy? When do you add the oxy? Oh, and I'll check the temp on my water heater tomorrow...

The diapers smell clean when they come out of the washer...

I feel like I'm fumbling through this wash routine -- now know more about laundry and water than I've ever hoped to, yet still can't seem to solve the problem! Help!

Thanks mamas, you are all wonderful!

IHA: Diapers/Wool Girly 0-9 Girly 12-24 Misc. Baby Mama Clothes & Shoes
IzzisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #908
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzisMom View Post
Hi Mamas,
My head is spinning... I've spent hours over the last couple of months reading and re-reading this thread!

As with most here, I'm battling the stinkies, especially with overnight diapers. For the last few weeks I've been spraying all of my diapers with a 50/50 mix of bac out and water, and rinsing/washing out the poopy ones before that. To complicate things I've recently bought a bunch of diapers on fsot, so I'm not sure what "issues" some of those are coming to me with...

I have soft water and a front loader that doesn't have a sanitary cycle or a hot rinse (what does "turning back the dials" mean?). Since DD was born just over 6 mos ago I've tried an Etsy WAHM soap, Clean B, Classic Rock (1 Tbsp), and I've recently been testing Sweet Cheeks.

Second Hot Water Heavy duty wash with extra rinse with a tiny bit of ecover about once a week.

I've tried the wet towel, adding pitchers full of hot water to the wash cycle, etc. I end up stripping about once a month or so... and the routine's a bear!

Based on what I've read, I'm thinking that I'm going to rinse out every diaper in hot water instead of just the poopy diaper and do my quick cycle on hot (with soap?) and keep on truckin'...

Questions though... I (think?) I gathered that since I have soft water, I shouldn't be using a product with washing soda. Is that right? I looked at all of the bags I have here, and all of them have washing soda as either the first or second ingredient. Is the answer Tide? I haven't gone that route because at first I thought I wasn't supposed to... and, I love to support WAHMs (not to mention I have soooo much laundry soap)!

For mamas with soft water and a front loader - what are you doing? Do I need Tide and/or Oxy? When do you add the oxy? Oh, and I'll check the temp on my water heater tomorrow...

I feel like I'm fumbling through this wash routine -- now know more about laundry and water than I've ever hoped to, yet still can't seem to solve the problem! Help!

What kind of stink problem do you have? Is it only when the diapers are peed in? Is it ammonia or just smelly?

Definitely check your water temp to see if it is up to par. Ideally you should be washing in 130-140 degree water. Also you can use laundry detergent with washing soda in it, just don't add extra. Since you have soft water you can get away with using smaller amounts of laundry detergent.

I find it helpful for me to rinse ALL my diapers off as they come off. I still haven't found the perfect wash routine without doing this. So instead of struggling with stink and ammonia and endless experiments on my laundry ,this is what I do. Lots of people don't rinse and they have no issues. I guess its a matter of personal preference and what works for you.

Your wash routine should be a hot or warm pre-rinse. I add a touch of detergent (tsp) to this cycle and vinegar. The vinegar helps neutralize the urine which is good if you have ammonia issues.

Wash routine hot and longest cycle with what ever detergent works the best in the amount that works for you. (I add extra hot water to my washer since I do not have a water heater up to the challenge.) Then when the water drains out of the wash cycle but before it starts filling up for a rinse, shut the machine off and turn it to a warm rinse cycle. (this is what it means to turn the dials back) This is so you have hot wash and warm rinse instead of cold. I set my kitchen timer so I know exactly when to do it. Then follow up with another warm rinse or two what ever gets the best results for you.

Try those things and do get so caught up on the different laundry detergents for now. It seems more like the wash routine needs tweaking since switching laundry detergents doesn't seem to be helping much at this point. Let us know how it goes and what you do for a wash routine and if it helps or not. Then we can go from there.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #909
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzisMom View Post
Hi Mamas,

You don't really say exactly what the problem is but since you say they smell clean when coming out the washer then I'll assume the problem is that in the morning they smell of ammonia...

Personally I would try a simpler routine with a more powerful detergent, something more mainstream like perhaps Tide or if you want something a bit more natural maybe try Country Save. Or maybe you need more detergent? You didn't mention how much you used... Stripping may well be giving the diapers a deeper clean than they get normally, which could indicate bacteria build-up. Lots of things can 'fix' that but by far the simplest would be more detergent or a stronger one.

As for the washing soda, it's not that you should avoid it with soft water (you can't really do that anyway, washing soda is the base of pretty much all detergents, wether they're mainstream or wahm and wether they're harsh or 'natural'. It's just that if you have soft water then you don't gain anything by adding more yourself (because washing soda is a water softener). Whereas if you had hard water, then it could be useful to add a bit more (in addition to what's already in the detergent).

Oh, and turning back the dials just refers to those with washing machines with dials where one would try to 'catch' the machine just before it starts the cold rinse part of the cycle and turn the dial back to the hot wash part so that you get a hot wash without having to run a whole second cycle.

Karen.
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #910
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MY LAUNDRY EXPERIMENT UPDATE.

Ok so I did my normal wash routine except I used liquid planet laundry detergent filled up the the 1 line (which it says to use for regular size loads of laundry.)

The rinse cycles had tones of soap bubble in it. So after my 2 1/2 rinse as I normally do, I pulled out the diapers and did the sniff test. FAIL!!!!! Some of them still smelled of pee, not horrible but it was def noticeable. So I put in for another 1 1/2 rinse cycles then pulled them out again. They were better this time around, not quite perfect though. I dried them and now I am waiting to see how they hold up for ammonia and stink issues.

Im not sure if the fact that the detergent doesnt have washing soda in it or not has anything to do with the performance. Im still stand by my theory that if most/enough of the soap has not washed out, so hasn't the yuckies too. For me less is more!