Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
afrimama
Registered Users

How common is PP hemorrhage?

DH and I are about to start TTC for #2 in a few weeks, but suddenly I'm feeling nervous. Perhaps because I'm 40, and aware of my mortality, I am worried that I could die in childbirth and leave my wonderful DD (easily conceived and born when I was 39) an orphan. (I admit that I'm a bit neurotic, LOL!) I had a great birth experience last time, except that my blood pressure dropped to 72/47 when they gave me the epidural, and, more imporantly, I had post-partum hemorrhage - my uterus stopped contracting after DD was born, but they gave me pitocin to get it started again and all they did was to monitor me afterwards for a bit of anemia. The doc said that can happen when it's a big baby and quick delivery, like I had. But I'm nervous. How common is this? And how serious is it? Tell me about your experiences with PP hemorrhage, please!

Advertisement

afrimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:
Re: How common is PP hemorrhage?

I didn't have pp hemorrhage until my 5th baby.. it wasn't a severe case though, I just passed out, then was fine after another shot of pitocin.
I think once you have it once.. they are better prepared for it the next time. If you want to TTC, go for it.. the doctors will take care of you and prepare for that.
There are lots of herbs and stuff you can take during pregnancy to help reduce the chances.. look into that
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never had a PP hemorrhage. Medicated births can lead to a greater chance of PP hemorrhage as well as overmanagement of the third stage. I have had several large babies and a quick delivery and no issues. I think your dr. is blaming things that don't usually cause the issue and potetially ignoring what actually can. Also, I take alfalfa and floradix to prevent PP bleeding in excess. Those are things you can do for sure.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remember also that your body has been preparing- you have a large blood volume built up from the pregnancy. Even if you do hemmorage a bag of IV fluids should easily restore blood pressure. Also keep in mind that in a cesarean often more blood is lost but since the standards of what qualifies a hemmorage in a c-section are higher, that's often not mentioned. Your body is well-prepared for childbirth and you will be fine! Is there anything during the delivery that might have contributed? Cord traction can sometimes be a cause, and a big baby with a large placenta will produce a larger loss of blood since it has to detach from a larger area. So things might go quite differently this time.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
afrimama
Registered Users

Thanks mamas! I find what you're all saying to be very reassuring. I'll definitely look into those herbs and supplements if I get pregnant. Of course at my age I should proably worry more about whether I can even still get pregnant at all, LOL! We'll see!
afrimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

I'd say I see a true pp hemorrhage in maybe one or two out of a hundred births, one unfortunately was my sister. We tend to over treat moderate bleeding so that we don't get to that point. There are things that def contribute like the use of pitocin during labor, big baby etc... share your concerns with your doc prior and they can be even more prepared.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I have never had a PP hemorrhage. Medicated births can lead to a greater chance of PP hemorrhage as well as overmanagement of the third stage. I have had several large babies and a quick delivery and no issues. I think your dr. is blaming things that don't usually cause the issue and potetially ignoring what actually can. Also, I take alfalfa and floradix to prevent PP bleeding in excess. Those are things you can do for sure.
This lines up with my thoughts too.

FWIW, I take the Alfalfa as well as Nettles and a blend by Nature's Sunshine callled 5-W. I have had rather large babies with VERY little blood loss (kiddos weighed in at 9.6 , 8.6 , 10.14 and 11.6 )
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
suzyq010104
Registered Users

I had pp hemorrhage after my second delivery but the doctors were prepared for it to happen. Whenever I deliver now I am put on pitocin right after delivery and given at least two bags to encourage my uterus to contract down since I am prone to very heavy bleeding following delivery.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrimama View Post
Of course at my age I should proably worry more about whether I can even still get pregnant at all, LOL! We'll see!
You are not old mama, banish that thought right now!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

It happened to me. My b/p totally bottomed out before I passed out. My doctor had to try five different things to make it stop. I was supposed to have a blood transfusion, but refused, b/c the nurse said I couldn't breastfeed, if I did.

I was induced, had a VERY long labor and a somewhat large baby.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote