Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Farm fresh egg's???

We keep 3 hens and get about 1.5 doz eggs a week. I like it because they are fun little birds to watch, they eat all our kitchen scraps (more profitable than a compost heap to me), and the eggs we get are so good. In the winter I can go to the coop to get eggs so fresh they are still almost body temp! If you crack open a fresh egg the yolk will be yellow and the whites will be firm and circular in the pan. If you crack open a store egg the yolk is often VERY pale yellow and the whites run like water out of the shell. Yuck!

Advertisement

ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
ariannasmommy22
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER78 View Post
Wow... so no need to refridgerate? That is awesome since my fridge is always packed to the brim in the summer with these hungry kiddo's!
Nope no need to refrigerate if they are fresh. But once you put them in the fridge...they need to stay there. So, either/or. I just keep mine in the pantry and take eggs out as I need.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
HEATHER78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for all your comments! We went to a local farm and picked up 5 dozen egg's and you guy's are all so right they taste wonderful and big diffrence on the color. We will continue to buy them this way. Thanks!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
ModernHippyHousewife
Registered Users

The way they keep commercial chickens is nauseating. They are literally walking all over each other, roosting in their own urine and feces. They never see the light of day and are fed a horrific diet which is scientifically engineered and has added poisons like arsenic, which helps keep the shells harder. You will notice when you switch to real chicken eggs that their shells are a lot thinner and easier to crack. I don't know about you guys but I don't eat food that eats poison. Yuck!
ModernHippyHousewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
kkmoto
Registered Users
seller

We have 6 young hens, 4 are now laying. They yokes are so yellow and the eggs are great. The "girls" are easy pets and love to be loved on. I highly recomend them as pets- they are quiet except if they are afraid or they are singing their egg song.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

The amish sell eggs at farmers market for 1.50/dozen which is about 2 dollars cheaper then store bought organic.