Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

For the Love of Reading Group August 2-8

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

This will be a daily/weekly thread where weíll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books youíre reading to your kids, if youíd like

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL-if you donít want a goal thatís fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure weíre reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When youíre done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you donít have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! Iíll start a new thread every week so it doesnít get to overwhelming.

Advertisement

myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Re: For the Love of Reading Group August 2-8

Happy Monday!
Finished Cemetery Dance-excellent! I'll be starting a new book today but have to decide from my big pile of library books-too many choices
I also have been slacking on reading out loud to my dd so I'm re-starting that today
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I managed to read the entire Immortals series by Alyson Noel this weekend (minus the last book that's out because it's on order) and it was sooo good! I don't know what it is about YA Fantasy Fiction, but I just can't get enough of it lately. I started reading the first book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but just couldn't get past the first few pages. It's definitely tougher reading than the YA books I'm used to, which is fine, but I think I'm used to more "light" reading lately and I find it easier to read since the kids are interrupting me every 5 minutes and I lose my place, etc etc. So, I'll stick with my YA Fantasy books for now until they bore me. I also picked up "Linger", the second book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series so I'm excited to re-read "Shiver" this week so I can start Linger.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Well, I'm about halfway through Lord of the Flies and a good amount into A Year in the Maine Woods. I still have The Red Tree to read yet and also To Kill a Mockingbird. I started a new audiobook, Body Surfing, by Anita Shreve and I'm in LOVE with the reader. I love her voice and narration! So, just chugging along!

I took DD to the library's storytime on Friday and she did good through the first half but got excited and antsy and the monitor in the back of the room came up to me and said I had to make her sit down and stay seated. Well, I sat her in my lap and she was getting antsy and trying to get away from me, so I erred on the side of caution and left early. I'll try it again this week. It was our first attempt and our first non-friend play date type of deal, so I think it went as best as I could have hoped. She really, really loved running around and playing afterwards with all the kids from the storytime group. So many 2-3 year olds to play with!

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yesterday was a long day, didn't even bother getting on line. When we were finally through all our errands I decided to crash out with a book instead. As a result I tore through "Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List" and "M or F?". Not much to really say about them though. "No Kiss List" is by the two authors behind "Nick and Nora's Infinite Play List", not that I have seen the movie, and after reading "No Kiss List" I'm not particularly interested. I did enjoy David Levithan writing on his in "Boy Meets Boy" but paired up it was awful. I almost gave up about 60 pages in but figured since it was short and easy to read I would go ahead and just finish. I hate leaving books unread, it gets to me until I eventually pick them up and finish them. Like Anne Rice's Mummy. It was so slow starting out that I eventually gave up on it when I was in high school. A couple of years ago I finally picked it up and finished it. I wasn't missing much but couldn't leave it undone like that. "M or F?" was alright, not stellar but not too bad. I wouldn't bother reading it again, or probably anything else by that author. It was too predictable and cliched for me. Just another "high school life" drama. I guess I've just gotten to old for that sort of thing. Unless there is something really interesting or deep going on, or you are adding in vampires or monsters, it just doesn't hold my interest. I don't mind shallow here and there, but if a book is going to be shallow it needs to have something else to hold my interest. Not even sure what I'm going to pick up next. I have read the majority of the novels my friend had lent me now. It was all the teen lit stuff with the exception of two of Anne Rice's "Sleeping Beauty" novels. I haven't read them yet but I just can't decide if I am in an Anne Rice place right now. I love her stuff, but I am not sure if I am really in the mood to take on her writing style. I'm considering taking a reading break and working on my own writing. It is about time I put some more time into it. My present page total is 2928

On goal two we go started on Return to Howliday Inn last night. We didn't get very far because the boys have been staying up late for Shark Week this week. I know I know, but it's Shark Week!!! LOL We only got through the first chapter. We will try to do better tonight.

Yesterday we didn't really have time for Kearnan to read but today he read a Dora the Explorer book. We may try to work in a second book one day this week. Tomorrow we have the endocrinologist appt as well as it being Kearnan's birthday so it is hard to say what all we may do.

Last edited by iris0110; 08-03-2010 at 12:39 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I breezed through All You Need is Love volume 1 yesterday. It was really good. Total "junk food" reading but I enjoyed it. I do love a yakuza love story. Unfortunately book 2 isn't out yet so I will have to wait to see what happens next. At least it wasn't a cliff hanger ending or anything. It was well translated, few typos, and seemed to flow well which is good for a June novel translation, makes the reading far more pleasant. I've thrown myself into finishing off the yaoi novels I have purchased but not read yet. I've got quite a few so this may keep my busy for a while. At least, if they can hold my interest. Page count is 3178

On goal two we are making steady, if a bit slow, progress on Return to Howliday Inn. I'm going to try to read a bit more tonight than I have the past couple. But we are all enjoying it which is really the most important part.

On goal three, Kearnan has been doing really well this week. Yesterday Kearnan read both Marvin K Mooney Will You Please Go Now and Hop on Pop. I love Dr. Seuss. We will probably grab another Dr. Seuss for today.

Sort of OT but I thought I would up date on Kearnan's pedi-endo appt yesterday. Everything is looking about the same. His blood work came back normal, his bone age scan still shows him as being between 2-3 years younger than his chronological age. This all points to his just being a late bloomer. Still no signs of puberty. He grew close to 3 inches last year, which is better than the 2 inches they expect so yay on that. He is a bit heavy for his age/height which is concerning but we will keep offering up healthy foods and hopefully with his Taekwondo 4 days a week for an hour each he will not gain any more.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote