Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #31
Bridym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: scheduled c-sections - when do they sched you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna
I don't want to make a pregnant Mom nervous, but that post really makes me nervous! The vast majority if C's are not capital letter emergencies. Like mine for ex. doc took the time to check dialation, waited for the room, etc. etc. it was a good 30 min. to get me in there. When I was discussing scenerios w/ my OB on the second preg, they can have you in surgery in 7 min. w/ a rupture, now THAT's an emergency C. They do Cs all the time on Moms already in labor! ALL THE TIME!

And I'm not a big fan of the due date bit. I always find it crazy that docs are OK w/ inducing a week or two prior, but heaven forbid you go a week over your due date!! You'll have a monster 11 lb baby for sure! The fact is, ovulation doesn't always occur in a predictable manner, baby can developmentally be plus or minus two weeks what you're thinking.

I dunno, I just have a lot more trust in my own body and a lot of apprehension at the things many OBs tell Moms. I'm a huge VBAC supporter, even though it will probably never happen for me. To anyone going through this, do the research! You may find options you didn't think were possible!

Good Luck!

I guess the term "emergancy" is used lightly. I know for a fact that if I went into labour before my scheduled c-section and decided not to do a VBAC I would probably still have to wait a while for the c-section.
I do beleive my OB however that it is easier to do a c-section when you are not in labour since your uterus wouldn't be contracting and the blood flow would be less.

I lost a lot of blood with my first c-section because I was in labour for over 24hours and my uterus was very swollen. My Body also didn't do what it was suppose to which is why I ended up with a c-section in the first place.

I think all of us have to make a choice as to if we want a VBAC or c-section and each individual reason as to why we make out choices is just that, an individual choice.

I also tend to ovulate early. My ds came at "40 weeks", but the Ped took one look at him and said he was extremly over due, so I am not nervous about having my dd at 39 weeks wether I go into labout on my own or not.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #32
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridym
I do beleive my OB however that it is easier to do a c-section when you are not in labour since your uterus wouldn't be contracting and the blood flow would be less.
I don't doubt it would be easier for the ob. But the first post made it sound like it was terribly dangerous to let a mom go into labor. Keep in mind, historically many birthing practices were put into place to make things easier for the doctor, not necessarily the Mom. (laboring on your back, episitomies - sp, etc) So I tend to be pretty skeptical about these kinds of things!

In the end we all make the choices that are right for our families. I'm just grateful the internet has made learning about options and finding experience and support easier then ever before!

Shanna
Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #33
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think all OB's have different timelines as far as scheduling, but generally they do not want to have you go into labor if a c-section is your plan. My first was scheduled 2 days after her due date due to breech presentation, little to no amniotic fluid, and pelvic distortion (me, not the baby). Second was scheduled at 32 weeks for 39 weeks. She (my OB) would not let me go any earlier than 7 days before I was due and I could even have picked my due date to have the C-section on. My third will be scheduled around the same time (32 weeks) and same time frame applies, so I already have a date in mind. Now just to get me OB's approval...but baby isn't due for six months yet. Good luck with all the decisions!!
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #34
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My cs with my dd was scheduled for 38 weeks bc she was breech. I wanted it at least a week closer to my due date, but that date was the only one the hospital had open! (We live in metro DC near a large hospital. What I've heard is that they have like, 20 OR's, but only schedule sections for 2 or 3 of them to keep the others open for emergencies.) Has anyone else run into this hospital scheduling thing?

Anyway, dd had some mild breathing issues, which then turned into vomitting/not eating issues and she was in the NICU for 3 weeks. Thank God she is fine now and has been since coming home, but I will always wonder if she would have been fine if we had waited longer for her to be born.

I am 28 wks pg with #2 now and want to try for a VBAC. My dr. will do a repeat if I go past my due date, so I told him I want to schedule on for my due date then! He said I have a good chance of going into labor before then since it is my 2nd baby, but I don't know.... I think that is a dumb rule. What if baby came the day after my due date??
Thoughts anyone? Do you think I have a good chance of going into labor early?
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #35
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcampcat
My cs with my dd was scheduled for 38 weeks bc she was breech. I wanted it at least a week closer to my due date, but that date was the only one the hospital had open! (We live in metro DC near a large hospital. What I've heard is that they have like, 20 OR's, but only schedule sections for 2 or 3 of them to keep the others open for emergencies.) Has anyone else run into this hospital scheduling thing?

Anyway, dd had some mild breathing issues, which then turned into vomitting/not eating issues and she was in the NICU for 3 weeks. Thank God she is fine now and has been since coming home, but I will always wonder if she would have been fine if we had waited longer for her to be born.

I am 28 wks pg with #2 now and want to try for a VBAC. My dr. will do a repeat if I go past my due date, so I told him I want to schedule on for my due date then! He said I have a good chance of going into labor before then since it is my 2nd baby, but I don't know.... I think that is a dumb rule. What if baby came the day after my due date??
Thoughts anyone? Do you think I have a good chance of going into labor early?
I think you need to realize it is your choice when and if to have a cs. Find another Dr. if you need to. I've had 4 cs, but every time my doctor told me he recomended it, but it was my choice.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #36
LilHippyMamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you have to schedule it. But they usually do it about a week before.

My last one was scheduled, scheduled a week before and bumped up because I was in preterm labor. But still not earlier than the safe point. We had me on bedrest till it was safe.

I'm thinking about asking if we can skip the scheduling this time and let me go into labor then do it
Old 06-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #37
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a planned c-section. They thought I had a thin uterus and thought natural labor would rupture the it. I had Bruce about three weeks before his due date but, that's only because I also had high blood pressure. They made sure he was developed enough to come out.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote