Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Carseats for Christmas???

So, I think I've solved the "my kids get too many toys" problem.
The big man in the red suit will be bringing.... tadaaaaa!!! New carseats. Set in front of the tree with a pretty bow. Of course their stockings will be filled with little toys and things to enjoy right away.

Anyone else do this?? How did it go over??

I'm thinking a radian for little guy and a nauti for my big boy (we'll test him in it with the crotch strap first to make sure it's comfy enough).

Also OT for my OP, but anyone have any other links besides joel's journey to keep kids in a harness longer?? My niece is in a backless booster waaaaay to early. ETA: JJ is for ERF which I've already addressed with them. How about extended harnessing??

Advertisement

B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.

Last edited by skolbut; 08-04-2010 at 03:55 PM.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseats for Christmas???

No idea on the carseat for Christmas, but I do have a link for you

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/
Kyle is better for convincing people about harnesses. Joel is for ERF

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think my DD would not be too thrilled, as it is really a gift for me and not for her. I personally wouldn't do it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I think my DD would not be too thrilled, as it is really a gift for me and not for her. I personally wouldn't do it.
See, I think my kids would dig it. They love their carseats, and they're just the type of kid to see it as a gift for them, because they get to ride in it.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

OK here's the info I'm sending to my FIL.... care to give me input before I send it??

Hi C****! I've been getting a lot of questions lately, so I just wanted to send you my favorite link showing why B and H need to be harnessed as long as possible in the car. One thing I can't compromise on is my kid's safety while traveling, because while I trust my driving, I don't necessarily trust everyone else's on the road.

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/

This video was one of many I've seen of three and four year olds that have died in boosters alone for various reasons, and it's convinced me. I don't personally, and actually recommend that NOBODY, transport a child under four <Note this is because my niece is three and I think he'll get the message this way>restrained by the lap belt alone, per CPST's in my area and the AAP. There are several affordable seats that will keep a child harnessed longer if you're interested in purchasing an extra to be used in your car. I keep two spares at my house for this reason -- I babysit a four, almost five year old girl on Fridays who is going into Kindergarten and require that she ride harnessed in my car for her safety. There are more expensive ones but I've found that these are the best prices for an adequately safe carseat.
Evenflo Maestro is about 80 bucks and harnesses to 50 lbs. and converts to a safer high back booster.
Graco Nautilus is about 150 bucks and harnesses to 65 lbs. and converts to a safer high back booster.
Graco Myride 65 is about 115 bucks and harnesses to 65 lbs. This seat does not convert to a booster so at 65 lbs a dedicated booster would need to be purchased.

I know it's a tough time right now, and we all have a LOT on our plates, but I just wanted to let you know why I'm choosing carseat safety for my children. I couldn't live with myself knowing in good faith that I put their lives in danger by not providing the safest riding conditions.

Thanks!
B
Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Too long. I would just say "Hey, I found this link and it really freaked me out, and I thought you should see it and the video too."

People tend to block out safety advice because it insinuates that they are bad parents and don't know what's best for their kids.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
Too long. I would just say "Hey, I found this link and it really freaked me out, and I thought you should see it and the video too."

People tend to block out safety advice because it insinuates that they are bad parents and don't know what's best for their kids.
It's not unsolicited though. It's for my FIL who asked why B couldn't be in a booster "because G already can". The prob is G already shouldn't and he wanted some evidence as to why. I also want him to want to buy a safer seat for his car for when she comes to visit regardless of what her parents choose. They're the type of ppl who need lots of convincing. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too confrontational and that I had correct enough info.

Last edited by skolbut; 08-04-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ah, understandable.

Maybe someone else can help then - I am too blunt I would just say "Because I don't want my kid dead like this kid"

Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
Ah, understandable.

Maybe someone else can help then - I am too blunt I would just say "Because I don't want my kid dead like this kid"
I wish I could be that blunt!! I've gone around and around with my IL's. Basically whatever SIL does is the 'right' thing. Why can't B sleep in a crib with bumpers? K used them. Why can't B face forward, G already can? Why can't B have gummies and sugar cereals? K gives them to her kids. Now it's the booster thing. I HAVE GOT TO SHUT HIM UP. So I'm hoping if I show him that actually I'M RIGHT he'll stop harassing me and start harassing her.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Sounds pretty good. Maybe a bit long. I'd take out the My Ride though, just leave the Maestro and the Nautilus. Those would be the best for a three year old who is ff. Maybe after the part about if he's interested in purchasing one to keep in his car, go straight to here's two reasonably priced seats that will keep her safe. Take the personal stuff out...info only. Just a suggestion!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote