Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you can spaghetti sauce?

And, if you do, would you share your recipe? I have a lot of tomatoes and would love to have some spaghetti sauce on hand, but there many recipes out there. I would like one tried and true!

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you can spaghetti sauce?

Mmm, I wish. lol Last year my DH made a lot of tomato sauce and froze it. But not necessarily spaghetti sauce. More the kind of sauce you'd use for making chili. It was great though. I didn't have to buy any all winter. I think we still have some in the freezer to use up.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

I just made a double batch. in a blender fill with 1/2 bell pepper, 1/2 onion both chopped and the rest tomatos(no skin or seeds), blend until chunky pour into pot. repeat until tomatoes are gone. Then I add lots of crushed garlic, thyme, oregano, basil, 1 spoon of sugar and one spoon of olive oil per blender full. one packet pizza crushed peppers per 2 blenders. Simmer down until thick then add salt and pepper to taste. it boils down to about 2 cups per blenderfull. I freeze in freezer bags 2 cups per bag since thats what comes in a jar.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

TY. This sounds very similar to one I was looking at.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well.. I will tell you my family's recipe! We have canned, but I just put into plastic containers and freeze it!

I use a few tomatoes diced up very small.. instead of a large can of diced tomatoes.. Saute an onion diced up in EVOO until clear. Pour in the biggest can of tomato sauce you can get, along with a big can of diced tomatoes (or your tomatoes), and a can of tomato puree. Dice up a green pepper and add. A 1/2 cup or so of sugar.. Basil and parsley (more parsley than basil).. and parmesan cheese.

I can't give you exact measurements... because I have no idea.. This was my great-great grandma's recipe.. and she never wrote it down.. It was like passed down.. We just eyeball it.. If you try it, just make it to your taste.. some like less sugar, like I do.. my DH could put like a cup of sugar and be great.. thats wayyy to much IMO!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
ariannasmommy22
Registered Users
seller

I"ll share mine...it's passed down for ages from my Italian ancestors ...so it's good.

Cover bottom of pot with oil(whatever oil u use:canola, veg) & olive oil (80%canola 20% evoo)
Brown 4-5 cloves of garlic and sweet vidalia onion
Add 13 oz can of tomato paste. Rinse... paste can with hot water and add to kettle.
Add 2quarts of tomatoes (if canned, use Italian pureed tomatoes and put them through the blender to blend even more)
Add fresh herbs: 1 bunch of basil and 1 bunch of oregano(add this when you have 1 hr left of simmering), 1TB salt, 1/2TB fresh ground pepper, and 1 TS sugar (or leftover coffee) to cut acidity.
Add meatballs if you wish to the sauce and cook on low for 2-3 hours.