Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
North Dakota Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Jennieh***
seller

My Mood:
My Fast Homebirth Experience: Welcome Dax!

Well, I was 8 days overdue and scheduled for an induction at the hospital in the morning. I was kind of bummed because I had been planning on a homebirth and seeing an awesome midwife. My pregnancy has been perfect and baby had passed a nonstress test a few days prior, and was in the perfect position for birth.

I had been having contractios for 3 days. This was frustrating and unusual for me! (This is my third birth.) It was also very tiring and uncomfortable. At about 6pm on Sunday night, my contractions became timable and more intense. I called Paulette (midwife) at 7:00 when I knew for sure it was labor.

At 7:30 I called her again and told her that contractions were 4 1/2 minutes apart. She lives 1.5 hours away. "I'm out the door!" She said. I was laboring at home, mostly on my bed, trying to seek out that comfortable position! At about 8 pm I filled up my jacuzzi tub and got in. The warm water felt nice.
My sisters arrived and basically just watched/talked to me inbetween contractions. I felt very calm and in control-- very different than the hospital births I've experienced! Perhaps because I knew I had to be! The pain was intense but managable.

My water broke in the water. Because the midwife hadn't arrived yet, I was a little concerned- I knew it would pick up after that. There was no meconium and it was absolutely clear. I was happy about that. I started feeling pushy. My sister (who is a nurse, but not a l&d nurse! ) said, don't push! I knew Paulette was still about 15 minutes away. As I felt still calm and in control, I felt that she would likely make it to the birth! It was amazing-I felt so clear-minded during the whole process. I was NEVER panicked and completely trusted my body.

So suddenly I began to push, completely involuntarily. I was able to hold pressure on my back (instinctively) and this seemed to help with the pain. The baby descended quickly and I felt the head begin to crown. There was the dreaded "ring of fire" and stretching, but I felt strangely calm and aware the entire time. I didn't want to freak anyone out, so I didn't say much while I was pushing. Finally I said, "The head is out guys." Then everybody panicked!

My husband called Paulette and she relayed some information over the phone. The entire pushing time only took about 3-5 minutes. Paulette instructed the crew not to let the head come out of the water. She had my sister get in the tub and assist with helping the shoulders out! My sister actually put her hand inside and under the armpit, and gently slid a shoulder out. Then the other shoulder slid out, and the baby slithered out. I was pushing as I felt the urge, which was just constant at this point. I was a little annoyed that everybody was saying "push! you need to push the baby out! : I am, I am, I shouted as I pushed! I felt a peace of mind that everything was going well!

So baby comes out! Annie (my twin sister, the nurse) catches him and puts him on my chest. Then we start to rub him vigerously to get him to cry. My husband was still relaying this info over the phone to the "birth team". Within a few seconds he was squeaking, and then a few more seconds and he let out a weak cry. He wasn't very alarmed by the whole situation. His body turned pink quickly, but his face was still purple. However he was crying well and breathing good. We were all elated and in a state of shock that we did this sans midwife.

The bathtub water was still very clear, no signs of bleeding at all. The midwife came about 10 minutes later. She gave hugs, checked baby, and helped my sisters clamp the cord after it stopped pulsating. We waited in the water for about 20-30 minutes nursing and hoping to deliver the placenta. Then I got out and made myself comfortable on my bed. An hour after delievery I still hadn't delivered placenta, so we did some squatting and cord traction and it came out. I felt relief!! It was huge, and it was perfect and complete. Paulette explained about it in detail and it was amazing.

We took my blood pressure and it was on the low side of normal- good! Midwife examined me for tearing-- there was none. We did the baby check and baby weighed a whopping 9 lbs 14 oz! 21 3/4" long! Big boy! His face remained purple that night-- it was acutally bruising! We think it is from his position in my pelvis and the 3-day long labor process.

Then I went downstairs and visited with some family that came over to meet baby. It was wonderful and exhilerating. Then we all updated our facebook statues, what else!?

My recovery has basically been non-existant. The bleeding hasn't been heavy, my bottom feels terrific, and my energy is pretty good, considering! (I have 3 under 3!)

Some pics:

WOW! We did it!

Hubby still on the phone with the midwife

Husband is very relieved that all is well!

Midwife, Paulette, arrives:

Baby is weighed!:

Newborn onesie barely fits

2 hours old, and we are both feeling great!

Kids admiring the new baby the next day (they did meet him that night as he was born at 9:00 PM)

He's perfect!

My 3 kids!!

Here he is in an xs bumgenius aio... on a really ollld baby scale, handed down to us from generations past!

Thanks for looking

Advertisement

Wife/BFF to Leif - Mommy to Thor born 09.26.07 , Maycee born 10.25.08, and Dax born 08.01.2010... a sweet-as-pie homebirth! Baby #4 due 08.09.12!
I blog about my life with three wee ones!
North Dakota Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
mamamanya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My Fast Homebirth Experience: Welcome Dax!

WOW, what a story! Congrats! Your family is ADORABLE!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, great story! Awesome that you had no tearing either! Great job. All of your kids are adorable

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Wonderful!! We're not planning a homebirth as it jsut isn't going to work out for us, but I hope my labor/birth is that easy!!

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All I could say was "Wow... Wow..." and then "You are a freaking ROCKSTAR."

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Raen
Registered Users

Awesome story..I LOLed at the pic in the newborn onesie--he looks huge! Congrats on a beautiful family.
Raen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations mama. What an incredible story. So cool that your sister got to assist so much. How special. Your babies are just so cute!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome experience! Congrats on your big ol' baby
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
lovemybabies924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

congrats!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great story and beautiful pics! congrats mama!!!