Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many of you have started back to school shopping?

Done for ds. . .far from done for me though!

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds starts kindergarten. His school supply list is really long. I really thought schools supplied things like crayons, scissors, and glue. It's like not one pack, but like three packs of all this stuff. He has to have a clip board, small dry erase board, pack of play dough, head phones for the computer lab and more. Maybe it's because it's a charter school, and they don't have as much public funding, IDK. He wears khaki pants and blue polo. The polo's are embroidered by the school and are like $13/piece. I am going shopping this weekend, since it is tax free here. I cannot imaging the going back to school costs when they are all three in school!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't buy new school clothes, we get some nice things handed down from a cousin. So they are free and 'new' to DSS. The younger boys will get 'new' clothes once the seasons change.

As far as supplies, I've made my best guess for DSS. He won't get his official supply lists until school starts - 6th grade. I bought his gym uniform, binders, folders, loose leaf, notebooks, pens, highlighters, grading pencils, gym lock, bike lock. The last time he was in public school his bio-mom's mom whined about wanting to buy his supplies (since we all know BM isn't going to contribute in any way), so I figure I'll hoist the rest of the list onto her.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well it isn't technically back to school shopping since we home school and we work year round, but I am thinking I will take advantage of the sales and pick up some new supplies. I picked some craft stuff, posters and workbooks at the dollar store, I know they have them out for back to school. I will probably get a few more things supply wise over the weekend since I need to get to Staples to get card stock anyway.

For clothes I am thinking I will stop by Old Navy to pick up some jeans on sale for Kearnan. He is finally growing which means the pants he wore last winter are not going to work for this year and he is in big enough sizes that buying second hand is almost impossible now. He is pretty good on shirts but I may grab a few T's. It is pretty warm here so long sleeves aren't terribly necessary, just a jacket or coat for when we go out. Tharen doesn't need anything clothes wise because he has a boat load of hand me downs from his brother to grow in to. He has a ton of clothes waiting for the seasons to change. He hates shorts so he has been wearing pants most of the summer too. I may look for more cheap girls yoga pants for him though. He loves them and I don't care that they are "girls" since they are cheap, easy for him to wear and make him happy. It isn't like they are super girly or anything, I pick them up in black, gray and brown. I think the boys may both need socks before they can go back to wearing sneakers this winter. Why do socks get lost/wear out so fast? We had almost 2 dozen pairs of this brand that I bought when Kearnan was 2, they have almost all lasted till just recently, they even fit Kearnan till he was 7 or 8 (despite his feet being rather large for his age) but now they are finally giving up (after 7 years that isn't bad) and I can't find anything else that wears as well or as long. And I can't find the brand again now.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23boyz View Post
Ds starts kindergarten. His school supply list is really long. I really thought schools supplied things like crayons, scissors, and glue. It's like not one pack, but like three packs of all this stuff. He has to have a clip board, small dry erase board, pack of play dough, head phones for the computer lab and more. Maybe it's because it's a charter school, and they don't have as much public funding, IDK. He wears khaki pants and blue polo. The polo's are embroidered by the school and are like $13/piece. I am going shopping this weekend, since it is tax free here. I cannot imaging the going back to school costs when they are all three in school!
Crayons, scissors, glue and construction paper are all really normal school supplies. I can remember my mom buying them for us when I was little. What seemed strange to me was that they wanted three packs of 24 crayons vs the jumbo 64 pack like our schools always asked for. Kearnan's stuff was all pretty typical the year he was in charter school. Dry Erase markers, manuscript paper, folders, crayons, water colors, tempura paints, construction paper, manila paper ect. I have never had one ask for a clipboard and white board though. When I was a kid they provided the headphones for computer lab, but I can see where having your own pair would be better.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23boyz View Post
We haveto buy all the crayons and penciles and stuff like that. What I don't get though is why each family has to buy multiple of each type of item, and they are all considred group supplies. Why can't I just buy my kid one of each thing, and then replenish as they run out? I mean seriously, I had to buy like 12 glue sticks between two kids for school this year. What do they need with 12 glue sticks?
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #17
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in AZ school starts within the next 2 weeks, so I think everyone I know has done their back to school shopping already!

My daughter's only 4 months old so we just take advantage of sales to get extra adorable clothes at cheap prices.

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote