Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

So, we are omnivores over here, but eat too much meat and too few whole foods.

I'd like to eat healthier by eating less meat and more whole foods.

I was wondering if some of you might be willing to share your favorite main dishes, so that maybe 2x-3x a week I could do a vegan or vegetarian meal for dinner.

My husband would not be willing to give meat up completely. When I suggested a few meatless nights, he looked at me like I had just said something completely crazy! So I'd like to find some dishes that my carnivore would be willing to "settle" for. LOL

Someone has already suggested burritos with black beans and sweet potatoes, which sounds really yummy... as well as a "mexican style" black bean and rice dish to be eaten as is or as a burrito stuffing.

I have also heard tomato and avacados on tortillas for a vegan quesadilla.

A few times a week, for lunch I give my kiddos crackers, cheese and fruits/veggies. And they LOVE peanut butter, so they usually have at least one peanut butter sandwich a day.

So.... please post your favorite recipes here... .and if you have carniverous husbands, who love a particular meatless dish, I'd love to see that too.

Thanks!
God bless!

Advertisement

__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
GreenDahlia's Avatar
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 593
My Mood:
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

My husband LOVES these black bean burgers and actually prefers them over burgers made with meat http://www.democraticunderground.com...&mesg_id=17651

We do pancakes and waffles at least once a week

Mac and "cheese" http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=31729.0

Mexican food, pasta, and rice are all easy to base meals around.

Casseroles are also good and easy to make
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16758.0
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6867.0

As you can see, I love vegweb! Some things are very good and some are not. It's fun to try new recipes.
__________________
Erin
Lucky to be Brian's wife
and mama to Nora (3 years) and Lucy (11 months)
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

the black bean burgers look awesome. Thanks so much for your ideas!

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
LoveThyScent
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,377
My Mood:
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

My hubby said that when I went vegetarian 11 years ago. He was a bloody steak guy. Well a few years later he went veg lol.I refused to cook him any meat too, he did it all himself haha. You can't go wrong with a great veggie stir fry that is our main food for dinner every night. I love it with tofu though!
LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,542
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

http://www.food.com/recipe/Va-Voom-Veggie-Burgers-38532

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=27266.0
__________________
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,542
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
So, we are omnivores over here, but eat too much meat and too few whole foods.

I'd like to eat healthier by eating less meat and more whole foods.

I was wondering if some of you might be willing to share your favorite main dishes, so that maybe 2x-3x a week I could do a vegan or vegetarian meal for dinner.

My husband would not be willing to give meat up completely. When I suggested a few meatless nights, he looked at me like I had just said something completely crazy! So I'd like to find some dishes that my carnivore would be willing to "settle" for. LOL

Someone has already suggested burritos with black beans and sweet potatoes, which sounds really yummy... as well as a "mexican style" black bean and rice dish to be eaten as is or as a burrito stuffing.

I have also heard tomato and avacados on tortillas for a vegan quesadilla.

A few times a week, for lunch I give my kiddos crackers, cheese and fruits/veggies. And they LOVE peanut butter, so they usually have at least one peanut butter sandwich a day.

So.... please post your favorite recipes here... .and if you have carniverous husbands, who love a particular meatless dish, I'd love to see that too.

Thanks!
God bless!
if you are going vegan, be careful with the tortillas because a lot of them have animal fat/lard in them.
__________________
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
if you are going vegan, be careful with the tortillas because a lot of them have animal fat/lard in them.
Yeah, another vegan I've been communicating with mentioned that to me, so I actually checked the brand that I typically buy, and they are made with vegetable shortening. Thanks for thinking to give me the tip though!

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
LoveThyScent
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,377
My Mood:
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

I've never seen tortilla's with lard, but yuck lol
LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,542
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

agreed, disgusto. but you'd be surprised.


how bout this recipe? Looks awesome but I've never tried it. Can't wait until those chilly winter days!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=31406.0


This one I have tried and it's fabulous! Maybe as a side dish with the meat as the main dish for the carnivores and this is the main dish for the veggies?

http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...d-lentils.html
__________________
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDahlia View Post
My husband LOVES these black bean burgers and actually prefers them over burgers made with meat http://www.democraticunderground.com...&mesg_id=17651

We do pancakes and waffles at least once a week

Mac and "cheese" http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=31729.0

Mexican food, pasta, and rice are all easy to base meals around.

Casseroles are also good and easy to make
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16758.0
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6867.0

As you can see, I love vegweb! Some things are very good and some are not. It's fun to try new recipes.
I'm making the black bean burgers for dinner for myself tonight. Can't wait to try. I only have dried beans, so I soaked then last night and they are cooking right now.

I MAY have to wait and do them tomorrow...but hey, that's fine too

Thanks!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.