Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
mommybird
Registered Users

My Mood:
crib mattress

Would you purchase a used crib mattress from craigslist? It is 2 years old, looks brand new and is a name brand sealy with the water resistant material. I need a new one for the new baby because DD2 is still in a toddler bed and there is no room for a twin sized bed. I can't really afford the nicer mattress new and don't want to skimp on safety for the cheap one, but if it's unsafe for the used mattress it kind of defeats the purpose. Anyway, what do you think? The home is smoke and pet free if that helps.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: crib mattress

if it looks great, then go for it! most consumers dont realize these crib matressess hold a 5, 10, 20, or more year warranty, which is far longer than most people use them for! and if u can get them free or cheap on craigslist, then i would def save my $100 for something nicer, like a stroller splurge or something!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ans if you feel its "dirty" or whatever, just get a cheap matress cover and of course you will use a crib sheet on it anyways!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
angelina_lover
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we gave ours away on craigslist it too was a sealy and was 2yrs old but my sons probably slept in it a total of 4mths as we co-sleep so it was pretty much brand new
angelina_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

I'd prefer new, but I know with us, I double mattress pad it and there is no way urine has never been on it so it wouldn't be a big deal to someone else. Its important to get a firm mattress - we paid about $100 for ours. I'd grill the family, ask about how they took care of it - type of mattress pads, etc. - I keep a fitted on it aways to super protect and then a flat that we change out when we change the sheet. But we've never had a huge leak either but rather be safe. I also worry about fleas, bed bugs, etc... as once you bring them home its hard to get rid of them. But, if someone only used it two years & done, should be fine.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
mommybird
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. It was in great condition, looks new. She took great care of it for sure and her little girl used it just for 2 years then moved on to a "big girl bed". It is the moisture resistant material so even if it was dirty I really feel like it can be sanitized too. I'm really excited about it. I will probably use it in the toddler bed for DD2 as she will most likely be the one to jump on it and everything so the baby can have the one I know the "whole" history of.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I needed one for DD's toddler bed here at my house since hte crib is still at xSO's and I bought mine used from a yard sale. It looked great and I just cleaned it when I brought it home. No big deal.