Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old to look for something?

My 2.5 year old is a great looker. The 5 year old just SUCKS. he always had. He couldn't find an elephant if it was sitting in the middle of the room.

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it just depends . . .our 2.5 year old can find things. My 5 year old can be looking at something and still not see it.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would hope a 5.5 yr old could at least look where you tell him to look, but I really don't know.

DD is almost 3 and really, really bad at finding things. If I tell her where her blanket is - and it is most of the time it is right out in the open - she will find it maybe 75% of the time. If it is "hidden" at all she "can't" find it.
If she is looking for a toy and I tell her to look in a bin - she looks at the TOP of the bin and if she can't immediately see it, then it obviously isn't there. She just doesn't get it.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My ds has been 'finding stuff' for a long time now, I dunno when he started, but I know it was before he started talking a ton (betweeen 15-18months was when he went from 2 words to full scentinces and never stopped!)

He can find stuff wayyy better than I can, even if it was 'lost' days before. The only time he refuses is when he knows where something is, but wont go get it b/c he knows he isnt supposed to have it in the first place (like my cell phone that he hid under his bed in a box)
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tharen can find things, but whether he is willing to do it or not is a whole other subject. If he knows what something is and I ask him to go find it he will (if he feels like it). He is 4.5 now, I don't know when he started being able to do it. Kearnan really is sort of dependent on the day and what I am asking. If I tell him to go find clothes and get dressed he can. If I tell him to look for a specific toy he usually can. But there are days I tell him to grab me his brush from the bathroom and he wanders through ever room in the house and then tells me he couldn't find it. It's sitting on the counter in the bathroom and it is a good sized brush. It couldn't be more obvious. He is 9.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #16
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried to turn it into a game? "First one to find the book gets an extra snack. I bet I can find it first!" Kids this age LOVE games, and they especially love to win.

6yo DS1 was acting similarly with cleaning his room today. I'd been telling him all afternoon to do it, and this evening he asks if he can do it Sunday (knowing we have a full schedule tomorrow) because he'll have lots of time to do it then. I finally had to drag him into DSS's room to show off the amazing job DSS did with cleaning his room today (it was to my standards ) Wouldn't you know? DS had HIS room done within 10 minutes, and it looked awesome.

He can totally find that book at 5.5!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

With 4yo DS, its really dependent on the day...he has a super short attention span and usually gets distracted in the process of looking for something most days. If he hid something, he can usually tell me where it is. If he misplaced something, forget it. And other days, he can stand there staring at what he's suppsed to be getting (like if I say, "hey, hand me the diaper wipes") and he'll be insisting that he can't see it...I think he's more doing it to just be a butt though 2yo DD is pretty good at finding stuff, but she's really good at hiding stuff too
Old 08-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

All of my kids could "find" things from 18 months on. My dd has been "finding" her own sippy cup in a playroom w/ toys all over the floor when I ask her to get it for months now. He's making a choice & defying you to test you. Sounds like you've got a great plan w/ the bedtime thing. You have to give the consequences that mean the most to that child. Mama! 2 of mine have gone through that same stage, but we nipped it fast. You'll get through this.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, I've been looking for DAYS and I can't find the dang book. Grrrrrr...Guess if a 26 year old & 28 year old can't find it then I can't expect a baby to find it LOL
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
My 2.5 year old is a great looker. The 5 year old just SUCKS. he always had. He couldn't find an elephant if it was sitting in the middle of the room.
This is TOTALLY my situation.

I'll ask my 5 yr old to look for something, and he swears he can't find it. One time it was Frog. Frog is a green and yellow stuffed frog, that's bigger than most baby dolls! DS sleeps with Frog. So we do bed time and I told DS "Ok, go get Frog." He comes back into the bedroom and tells me he can't find Frog. I said "Did you look......(insert several places each one followed by a "Yes" or "He's not there." I SPECIFICALLY asked him if he looked in the living room.

I get up to help find Frog, and there he is, in the middle of the living room floor.

This is also often the case with DS3's binkie. If I'm in the middle of doing something, and DS3 starts to cry or fuss, I'll ask DS1 to give DS3 the binkie. He says "But I can't find it. It's not here." I get frustrated, because by this time DS3 is really crying loudly, I walk into area where DS3 (5 1/2 months old) is on the floor, and the binkie is right there next to him, or next to DS1's foot, or some similar nonsense.

DS2, however... is 2 1/2, and is a very good looker!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote