Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My cousin is only Breastfeeding her 5 week old DS 7 times a day!!!

My cousin feeds her DS on a pretty ridgid schedule! She breastfeeds every 3 hours during the day and only once during the night. She doesn't seem to think highly of very much that I have to say so I need help from you guys (including links) on how this will eventually sabotage her milk supply! She was telling my mom and I that she had SOO much milk because she is constantly leaking and she even fills 1-2 ounces in a breast shield on the opposite side of the breast she nurses from (while she's nursing one side the other side leaks 1-2 ounces!) I don't want to offend her just want her to be sucessful with breastfeeding. My LLL leader explained the anatomy and the science about the breast and how breastfeeding works. She basically explained why receptor won't bind to the lactocytes (sp?) when the breast fills up which in turn causes the breast to make less milk. Basciallly, the more often you nurse the more milk you make and the less often you nurse the less milk you make! I do believe that he's getting plenty to eat, just know that if she keeps this up her milk supply will dwindle away! She is even hoping that he will start to STTN soon, which would put her at only 6 feedings every 24 hours!! I really do love her and want the best for her and her DS so I do not want to offend her AT ALL!! I only want to help in a kind loving way so any suggestions on how to come across would be wonderful

Advertisement

Last edited by Connor; 08-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
AmyQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My cousin is only Breastfeeding her 5 week old DS 7 times a day!!!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ng.html?cat=25
http://www.gentleparents.com/artcarr2.html
http://www.llli.org/search?cx=012805...earch+LLLI#915

good luck!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I sure hope she's not following Babywise It sounds like it. This will most definitely impact her supply and the baby will not be getting the proper nutrition he needs. I sure hope she listens mama

Kellymom has a good page. 8-12+ nursings a day for weeks 2-6!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

So.. is baby on board w/ this, or does she refuse him the breast if he wants to eat at a time that doesn't follow her "schedule." I ask because of my own experience...

STTN @ his age shouldn't hurt him, if he does it on his own. My DD would have gladly STTN from the time she was born if I hadn't woken her myself to nurse until she gained her weight back and then a little more. Since about two weeks old though, she has slept a straight 8 hours through the night without waking to nurse. During the day she nurses every 2-4 hours, though some days she likes to cluster feed as well. However, this is HER choice.. I feed her when she is hungry and I most certaintly do not feed on a schedule. We are total "on demand" feeders here.
My supply is & has always been (so far, anyhow) awesome, no supplements needed. DD will be 4 mos in less than 2 weeks and is on the verge of 17lbs.. she is a very fluffy baby.

So, if this is a thing that both mom & baby are on board with, and she isn't refusing him the breast when he is hungry if it doesnt follow her wishes, then hopefully it will work for them. And hopefully she ISN'T refusing to allow him to eat if its outside her schedule, he needs to be allowed to eat when he wants to eat.

I'm sure the DS mama's will give ya some awesome info to share with her. G/L.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Jasmini
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was also wondering how her little boy does? Maybe he doesn't want more? My kids all had times, when they nursed only every 4 hours -> 6 times a day (he was around 4 months old and it lasted for 6 weeks).

nappies and more ......cloth diapers, baby carriers and more... and find us on Facebook
Do you Scentsy?
Jasmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is she using Babywise? If so get the book (from the library) see what she is reading. Try to look for ways to work within what she believes. I believe it says every 2.5 to 3 hrs encourage her to go to every 2.5 hours. If it is a goal of hers she will get that baby to sleep thru the night no matter if he is on board or not. You can try to encourage her that maybe baby will sleep thru the night if she does every 2.5 hrs then maybe she will stay on that "schedule" to keep him sleeping thru the night. Not ideal but much more ideal then progressing to 3 and 4 hrs (4 hrs will be progressed to very soon if not for most moms I have seen). Feel free to contact me if you want someone whose been there to coach her, my poor firstborn and secondborn, why did I let a book tell me what to do At least with my second I did stay on the 2.5 hr schedule for a long time. We also did a super late night feeding so sleeping thru the night meant the time I slept only. I never had a problem with my supply, 2nd born was 18lbs at 3 months and had been sleeping thru the night half that time. If this happens with her you will just look like a fool to her and she will never listen to you when she really does need help.

Seriously I would be more than happy to talk with you or her giving advice that she would most likely listen too. She most likely WILL NOT listen to any advice that says anything about demand feeding unless she is having trouble. And we wouldn't have to let her know that I haven't done this since years and years ago, that could be our secret! She also will probably want to start solids at 4 months, we may be able to encourage her that new evidence shows, blah,blah,blah!!! But it all has to be from the angle of coming along side not opposing.

Also does she have a good carrier so she can see how it doesn't have to be a pain to take baby with you. A lot of moms want to move them to 4 hrs because it gives mom more freedom cause it is just so hard to take baby with them. Same reason they tend to start solids early even before 4 months. Yes this is the camp I lived in at the beginning please no rotten tomatoes. I'm just glad we have come to see the light.

Last edited by joyful mother; 08-07-2010 at 10:51 AM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

We aren't terribly close so I haven't asked her if she uses babywise or not. I visited her for 2-3 hours, when she fed him it had been 3.5 hours since the last feeding. He slept most of the time I was there and he seemed to be fine going that long between feedings. I'm pretty sure she doesn't give him a pacifier, or let him CIO. So maybe he's just fine with only eating 6-7 times a day?? I don't know maybe it works for some. She does NOT have a carrier. I have offered to come by next week and bring a couple of mine and let her try them out and borrow one/some! She hasn't taken me up on that yet but hopefully she will. I know it would be useful to her because she said that he likes to be held while sleeping and that she can't get anything done. thanks for all the replies so far
Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

If the baby is filling up and she not deniying (CIO) feeding it might not be as terrible as it sounds... I know mine was feeding more at 5 weeks but we were already sleeping 8-10 hours at night totally on her own and she did a lot of mini feedings through the day. Never denied just how it was.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HOw much does baby weight?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

He was 8lbs 4 ozs at birth and I believe he weighs 10-11lbs. His weight is fine, no problems there. By the way she talks her breasts are always full, I do know that the more often that the breast is emptied the more milk will be produced. I certainly don't want to offer information that may offend her if there is really no reason to kwim?