Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: corporal punishment in schools

When I first started teaching in 2000 the school I taught at still used corporal punishment. It was very controlled...there had to be a witness and the parent had to agree to it first. Everything was documented extensively and very rarely did this have to be used. A couple of years later the county decided to do away with it. I can tell you one thing, behavior definitely got much worse after that. Now that I'm a parent I know that I would NEVER let another person lay a hand on my child. If paddling was a form of punishment at my childrens' school and I didn't have any say over it...I would definitely be homeschooling.

Advertisement

Last edited by katengrace; 08-07-2010 at 11:46 AM.
katengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds attended a private school for the last 3 years that paddled kids. and there was no phone call to the parents first, no form to sign to say you are against it...no written policy for parents to review. and they paddled for EVERYTHING. last year my son's best friend was paddled on the very first day of school. before lunch. talking back-paddled. running in the hall-paddled. talking in class-paddled.
dh went to ds's teacher every year, and informed them that no one would ever lay a hand on our child...for any reason. we agreed that if he did anything that they felt needed a spanking, we would go pick him up and take him home...but he was never to be paddled. the teacher last year was appalled. dh told her that there would never be any need anyway, because ds is seriously a great kid, and she laughed and said "that's what all parents think...but they all need it at some point!"
yeah there was never a phone call home...never a note of misbehavior. he was great all year!
the headmistress was a witch about it. dh went to her as well, and she gave him grief about it, apparently we were the first parents to ever challenge this rule. she even told him she couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen unless we put it in writing. (obviously, we did...no brainer there.) i couldn't believe the hassle it was to tell these people they couldn't hit my kid. it was nuts! but it is a small town, small school, and we're outsiders anyway since we weren't born here...lol

Last edited by eaglewife126; 08-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.
eaglewife126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know it was allowed in my grade school when I was a kid, but now its illegal in Illinois. I remember the principles office had a bunch of paddles up on the wall, one was a little ping pong-size paddle, another was a really big one, there was even one with holes drilled in it...I was terrified to walk into the main office just because of those, even if it was just to take attendance slips in because I was teacher's helper for the day. Parents had to sign a paper saying whether or not their child was allowed to be paddled at school, and whether the parents wanted to be notified before any punishment took place...if they were notified and did not agree with the punishment, then it didn't take place. My mom signed that we could be paddled at school but she had to be notified first...I don't remember ever being in trouble at all, but I was a pretty good kid. My brother and one of my sisters were big troublemakers, but I don't remember either of them ever getting in trouble at school.

Last edited by smashncakes; 08-07-2010 at 12:28 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried to come up with something that wasn't completely violent and anger filled, but I couldn't. Let's just say, having gone to school in TX, I am very glad about this.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got spanked several time when I was a kid at school. honestly I preferred that over them calling my parents because my step father would have beat me black and blue. not condoning it, just in my situation it was preferable.

we are a no spank family
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't want my kid paddled by a teacher/principal. BUT, I don't think it should be legislated federally. It should be up to the states.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cannot believe this is still being used in some schools/states. I remember it still being a discipline policy when I was very young, but my dad made it clear in not-so-nice terms that if any one 'of authority' in that school laid a hand on my brother or me, he would show them, first hand, what it was like to be hit by a bigger person. Yep, sounds threatening (my dad never once spanked us kids, FWIW), but according to my mother the office staff gave them hell over not agreeing to that policy.

I just don't see how any parent would comply with that policy. We are a non-spanking household, but even if we were to use spanking as a form of discipline, no way in heck would we allow another person to administer it. Our children have the bodily right to not fear all authority.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
I wouldn't want my kid paddled by a teacher/principal. BUT, I don't think it should be legislated federally. It should be up to the states.

Honestly, I agree with this. I don't think that this is a Federal issue. I think it's a State's issue and should be handled there. I do not think that children should be punished with physical force in a classroom. However, I also don't agree with the federal government stepping into areas where it doesn't belong.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I believe the emotional and physical safety of children should be everyone's business, and no state should be given the right to allow it.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #20
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's done.

If you think of all the punishments schools can give out, the effectiveness depends on the kid. A day spent in In-school suspension or out of school is a break away from classes for a day. . .if the parents don't care, then the kids don't care.