Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you become super sensitive to fragrances?

In my non-green days, I used air fresheners, scented candles, cleaners that "smelled" clean, etc., and it never bothered me. About 10 years ago we got rid of all the candles (didn't want the potential fire hazard with kiddos). In the past couple of years, I've gotten rid of all the commercial yuck in the house. We now clean with vinegar, baking soda and water primarily and I use TTO occasionally but that is it. Now it seems that when I come in contact with the chemical laden junk I end up with a terrible headache. Does this happen to anyone else?

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
purpledayz
Registered Users

Re: Have you become super sensitive to fragrances?

I never used a lot of products because I'm sensitive to them. (When I was little I broke out in rashes all the time until my mom gave up on cleaning...) But I have noticed since I stopped using dryer sheets and tide I can't stand the smell of them on other people. Or if I have to go down the cleaning products row at the store it makes me feel ill, slight headache and nausea.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have noticed that they bother me more now.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
tiffanybrooklyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

me too!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ever since I became a mom, I started with allegies to string smells, lotions, etc.
so thats where the natural came in to play. Its good here now, but if I am around something too strong I either get dizzy, break out, itchy or headachey. sometimes even nauseated.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

going anywhere near the cleaning aisle gives me a major headache now and watery eyes. I can smell someone from across the playground if they have washed their clothes in tide or something, I keep getting whiffs of it whenever they move or the wind blows. Blah
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't stand it now, it gives me major headaches just walking thru the cleaning isle at a store.
I can't stand clean clothes that have been washed in a scented detergent either. (Not including scented with EO's since you don't really smell those after they go thru the wash)
Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj View Post
going anywhere near the cleaning aisle gives me a major headache now and watery eyes. I can smell someone from across the playground if they have washed their clothes in tide or something, I keep getting whiffs of it whenever they move or the wind blows. Blah
absolutely. i don't mind the smell of detergent on clothing when you have to stick your nose in the item to smell it. That's kinda nice actually. But when people use the full amt of detergent to wash their lcothing and follow up with fabric softener in the full amt, it's overwhelming and nauseating. Personally I use homemade detergent on my clothing so there's no smell but I use ecos on the diapers so there is a light smell. but I've found that I literally have to put the diaper against my nose to smell the scent because I only use a small amt to wash them in. That doesn't bother me. But the cleaning aisle or those bath and body works stores, BLECH! We literally don't walk through the last 1/3 of that floor at the mall because it's so overwhelming. The kids call it "the stinky store."
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
sydney
Registered Users

Yes. If my mom washes something of my girls when she watches them, I have to re wash it. Also we were given some hand-me down clothes and wow was the smell strong. Even my husband notices it.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've always been that way. I thought I was just allergic to cleaning but sadly, I'm not. I also get a headache and really dizzy in the cleaning aisle in stores.