Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #21
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Have you become super sensitive to fragrances?

Yes!! I hate when I run out of borax or washing soda cause that means I have to enter the cleaning isle

Advertisement

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #22
newbaby
Registered Users
seller

have always been sensitive to those chemical smells-headache and sometimes my throat will start to hurt. Most people think I'm crazy and love those smells!
newbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #23
WiggleBean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I've always had a sensitive sniffer. Now, everything keeps getting stronger and stronger scented, and with longer lasting chemicals. It kinda freaks me out when they advertise that you'll smell it for a week or more -- that means there's a lot of chemical yuk lingering on your "clean" sheets. When I go out walking or running in the evenings, I can smell everyone's laundry and showers, it's overwhelming.

I use very little with scent in it, and probably most people don't even notice it because they are walking around in clouds of their own scents. Bleh!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
ladymeag
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggleBean View Post
Yes, I've always had a sensitive sniffer. Now, everything keeps getting stronger and stronger scented, and with longer lasting chemicals. It kinda freaks me out when they advertise that you'll smell it for a week or more -- that means there's a lot of chemical yuk lingering on your "clean" sheets. When I go out walking or running in the evenings, I can smell everyone's laundry and showers, it's overwhelming.

I use very little with scent in it, and probably most people don't even notice it because they are walking around in clouds of their own scents. Bleh!
I have the same problem. I can also generally smell cigarette smoke from the car in front of me. Heavy perfume, car air fresheners and the like, too. I can smell my neighbor's shower in my kitchen - I always know when one of them is in the shower.

I grew up in a scent-free house. My mother is severely asthmatic - we had those static air filtration systems when they were crazy expensive because she needed all of the dust, particles and pollen out of the air. Bath stuff, laundry detergent, dish soap, household cleaners have always been unscented, even if that meant long drives for supplies and homemade. Perfume, scented body and hair care products and air fresheners were also banned.. I've always been able to smell other people's "cleaning products."

People used to never believe me that their perfume was giving me a headache, nausea, and difficulty breathing - after all, I'm not a 'true' inhaler-carrying asthmatic. My ex-husband liked the "fresh" scent of scented laundry stuff and all of it broke me out and caused serious eczema problems, so I told him to suck it up and get used to the smell of real clean - no scent at all!

Don't get me started on the people who wash, soften and dryer sheet with the same scent, bathe with a similar scent, use scented deodorant and then load up on perfume. There was a lady that I worked with that I could smell when she was in the hallway from the parking garage. I'd always say, "Kay's here!" and my boss finally asked one day how I knew - she couldn't believe I could smell the Taboo (perfume) that far away. Turned out she used Taboo body wash, powder and perfume spray! Perfume in modern times is for the wearer and anyone close enough to be considered in your personal space - a scent that is unique to getting close to you, which is part of why the marketing for perfume has long been romantic, sexy and alluring. Before that, it was to cover that no one bathed - if you need that much, I suggest a shower!

I've obviously got opinions on this issue.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Yes extremely sensitive. I smell everything now and anything chemical really bothers me.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
WiggleBean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymeag View Post
I have the same problem. I can also generally smell cigarette smoke from the car in front of me. Heavy perfume, car air fresheners and the like, too. I can smell my neighbor's shower in my kitchen - I always know when one of them is in the shower.

I grew up in a scent-free house. My mother is severely asthmatic - we had those static air filtration systems when they were crazy expensive because she needed all of the dust, particles and pollen out of the air. Bath stuff, laundry detergent, dish soap, household cleaners have always been unscented, even if that meant long drives for supplies and homemade. Perfume, scented body and hair care products and air fresheners were also banned.. I've always been able to smell other people's "cleaning products."

People used to never believe me that their perfume was giving me a headache, nausea, and difficulty breathing - after all, I'm not a 'true' inhaler-carrying asthmatic. My ex-husband liked the "fresh" scent of scented laundry stuff and all of it broke me out and caused serious eczema problems, so I told him to suck it up and get used to the smell of real clean - no scent at all!

Don't get me started on the people who wash, soften and dryer sheet with the same scent, bathe with a similar scent, use scented deodorant and then load up on perfume. There was a lady that I worked with that I could smell when she was in the hallway from the parking garage. I'd always say, "Kay's here!" and my boss finally asked one day how I knew - she couldn't believe I could smell the Taboo (perfume) that far away. Turned out she used Taboo body wash, powder and perfume spray! Perfume in modern times is for the wearer and anyone close enough to be considered in your personal space - a scent that is unique to getting close to you, which is part of why the marketing for perfume has long been romantic, sexy and alluring. Before that, it was to cover that no one bathed - if you need that much, I suggest a shower!

I've obviously got opinions on this issue.
Ugh, that reminded me of my HS boyfriend's mom. She wore Taboo. Great Scot I hate the smell of that crap!

And yes, I smell cigarettes from forever away. I can smell it lingering on people, too. So gross.

DH wears Stetson cologne. He has had the same bottle for probably 10 years he told me (I haven't known him that long). He wears just enough that I smell it after he's put it on, but then not again unless I get right up close to him. That's fine, having a cloud around you isn't.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #27
luvmybabydoll
Registered Users
seller

I cannot stand how "fragrance" smells anymore! Although I do miss yummy smelly shampoo and conditioner...everything else is too strong now!
luvmybabydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

my daughter is/was severely asthmatic in her earlier years. I ditched it all. I love it as I don't tolerate fragrences well at all.

Last edited by eapoosmama; 08-13-2010 at 06:36 AM.
eapoosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #29
littlelulublue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes! I've always been sensitive to scented detergents but now it's brutal....I can't stand the smell of scented body lotions/perfumes etc. They smell horrific to me! Not to mention hurting my eyes and head!
littlelulublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #30
JessB
Registered Users

Yup, actually makes me sick to my stomach. It's always given me a bit of a headache, but it's gotten worse. I'm glad I got away from all that scented stuff, because if it makes me that sick now, it probably wasn't worth being around in the first place.
JessB is offline   Reply With Quote