Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My Midwife was pushing a VAX.

I went to my 26 week appointment the other day. One of the very first things they asked me is "Will you be getting the whooping cough Vax today?" And i said "No thank you" and then they proceded to ask me about 10 more times. Trying to talk me into it.

Dh thinks i should.. But i dont know how i feel about it. Apperiantly there is an "outbreak" in the county i live in.. But i dont think that, that is a reason to get it.

I am honestly just amazed that they would be pushing such a thing on me.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
theJs
Registered Users
seller

Re: My Midwife was pushing a VAX.

As a ped with a very open minded attitude toward these things (heck, I CD, BW, extended BF, co-sleep) I think most healthcare providers really are trying to do what's best for their patients. Of course it is up to you, but the decrease in vaccination of both kids and adults has caused significant pertussis outbreaks in many states. Here in central FL we have had 2 babies DIE of pertussis this season before the age of 8 weeks when they themselves would have been vaccinated. They had intelligent caring parents who brought them to the doc appropriately, but they just stopped breathing. That is the risk of pertussis. I don't say that to make you feel bad, but so that you are aware that the risk has changed in many communities and so you can look at your community and make an educated decision. Your midwife is probably very open minded but believes in what she is encouraging you to do.

Fund your fun with swag!
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mama2Js
theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just remind yourself of why you chose not to vax in the first place and politely keep saying no thank you. I was constantly asked if I was getting the h1n1 vax when I was pregnant. I got looks when I said no but I stayed firm and eventually they stopped asking.
aylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJs View Post
As a ped with a very open minded attitude toward these things (heck, I CD, BW, extended BF, co-sleep) I think most healthcare providers really are trying to do what's best for their patients. Of course it is up to you, but the decrease in vaccination of both kids and adults has caused significant pertussis outbreaks in many states. Here in central FL we have had 2 babies DIE of pertussis this season before the age of 8 weeks when they themselves would have been vaccinated. They had intelligent caring parents who brought them to the doc appropriately, but they just stopped breathing. That is the risk of pertussis. I don't say that to make you feel bad, but so that you are aware that the risk has changed in many communities and so you can look at your community and make an educated decision. Your midwife is probably very open minded but believes in what she is encouraging you to do.

I thought you needed more than 1 booster to be immunized against pertussis, so it wouldn't have been effective in prevention in an 8 week old?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
theJs
Registered Users
seller

BAby does not have full immunity until 3 doses,(then still needs booster at age 15-18mo and age 4. We know immunity wanes toward adulthood and so the adult booster is now recommended) but does have some immunity after the 8 week dose. Studies suggest that most newborn cases are transmitted from a close caregiver who does not realize they have it, as pertussis acts like a cold in an adult but then shows up as a more serious illness in an infant. Hence the push to vaccinate moms and dads, to protect baby when they do not have immunity. It is entirely up to mama, of course, but I just wanted to point out that there is definitely an issue w pertussis lately, unlike some other illnesses we vax for that baby is less likely to actually get.

Fund your fun with swag!
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mama2Js

Last edited by theJs; 08-07-2010 at 08:45 PM.
theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is no way I would want to catch pertussis, ESP while pregnant, or want my baby exposed--it is a violent disease. That said, did you have a blood test show you a not immune to it?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylasmommy View Post
Just remind yourself of why you chose not to vax in the first place and politely keep saying no thank you. I was constantly asked if I was getting the h1n1 vax when I was pregnant. I got looks when I said no but I stayed firm and eventually they stopped asking.
this.
weigh the pros and cons and make the decision you think is best. no one knows the "right" answer all the time..you just gotta do what you think is best.

i did not get the h1n1. people were constantly bringing it up (had DS 11/2010 when it was h1n1 crazy) but even at my docs office--all they did was ask if i wanted it once. when i said no, they dropped it. i would have a problem w/anyone in charge of my health putting pressure on me. i prayed continually about the h1n1 and that seemed to help ease my fears.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most vaccines aren't tested on pregnant women, are they? Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a vaccine while pregnant. I was also pregnant during the H1N1 scare and did not get the vaccine.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
livn4him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All I have to say as an open minded person who does not agree with all vaccinations, is that, whooping cough can be fatal for infants. If it is not fatal it will land them in the ICU, miserable and struggling to breathe. I have seen this first hand. I cannot imagine my having my family in this situation.
I get no vaxing against the "annoying" illnesses, but this one has a high likelyhood of being fatal if it is transmitted to an infant.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just had this conversation tonight at dinner. I have a nasty cough right now and my sister (who is a pediatrician and has a 7 week old) started talking about whooping cough - apparently it is more active in the warmer weather.

I don't have whooping cough, but I got to hear a bunch of nasty stories about babies with it - it scared the poop out of me.