Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
klilley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My Midwife was pushing a VAX.

ugh I hate it when they keep bugging about stuff like that. Then I remember that they "have to" tell you over and over to avoid malpractice suits...

Advertisement

wife to my lover and best friend; City girl, in the closet semi-crunchy, First time mama to our PRECIOUS homebirthed baby girl born 03/10. EDD 10/28/11 We babywear, co-sleep, , EC'ng, ...!! Breastmilk Donor

My ISO http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1232959
klilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Coming from someone who has had pertussis just in the past 3 years I actually asked about the vax when I was pregnant w/ DS2 b/c of how horrible it was; I just couldn't imagine a child suffering through that. But my mw said they don't give it to pregnant women. I was offered it in the hospital after I had my babe though, but I declined at that time. I will, however, probably get the booster.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
mistylynn313
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First off, I want to say that I totally respect your decision. It is an individual decision and you have good reasons for declining. But please don't think they were trying to "hound" you or make you feel bad about your decision. They (and by they, I mean we, health care professionals) know the horrors of these preventable diseases. I'm a nurse at a large urban hospital and we just had a man die from measles. We've also had several pertussis outbreaks. I selective vax personally, but professionally, it is my job to offer and educate patients about the benefits of vaccines.

Please know I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, but letting you know what they were probably thinking. Don't be too hard on them, they are just doing their job! I agree with the previous poster - just politiely decline. But don't be suprised when ask again. I really don't think they mean to offend, they are looking out for your health the way they know and have been trained to.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be very careful of any vaccine while pregnant. Just because someone says it is safe, does not mean it is. X-rays were once "safe" on pregnant women too.

And, hasn't the pertussis virus MUTATED so the vaccine is ineffective? I'm also pretty sure getting the vaccine does not prevent you from carrying it and giving it to your children.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am actually thinking about getting it.. But i think i will get it after the baby is born. I am the type of person who does not get flu shots for me or my children and when the Drs office gave them to the twins before me signing the form.. I WAS PISSED. I fully Vax all my kids, I feel its important.. It was just extremely weird of them to be asking me over and over and over again. I just dont think its safe while pregnant.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma07 View Post
I would be very careful of any vaccine while pregnant. Just because someone says it is safe, does not mean it is. X-rays were once "safe" on pregnant women too.

And, hasn't the pertussis virus MUTATED so the vaccine is ineffective? I'm also pretty sure getting the vaccine does not prevent you from carrying it and giving it to your children.
I'd be leery about getting it when pregnant as well.

But the whole point of parents getting vaccinated is because parents are caregivers are the ones that are giving it to their children. So vaccinating the parent in theory would stop them for having it and giving it to their children.

I got mine was DS was a baby.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChicMama View Post
Coming from someone who has had pertussis just in the past 3 years I actually asked about the vax when I was pregnant w/ DS2 b/c of how horrible it was; I just couldn't imagine a child suffering through that. But my mw said they don't give it to pregnant women. I was offered it in the hospital after I had my babe though, but I declined at that time. I will, however, probably get the booster.
so even having the full blown illness doesn't offer immunity? geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma07 View Post

yes, the company that produces the vaccine even states that getting the vaccine does not insure that you will not still be a carrier and STILL pass it on to infants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLD View Post
I am actually thinking about getting it.. But i think i will get it after the baby is born. I am the type of person who does not get flu shots for me or my children and when the Drs office gave them to the twins before me signing the form.. I WAS PISSED. I fully Vax all my kids, I feel its important.. It was just extremely weird of them to be asking me over and over and over again. I just dont think its safe while pregnant.
the flu vaccine this year has all sorts of warnings about causing seizures...crazy. i honestly think they are paid to push vaccines. i had a ped. when i was with anthem that NEVER EVER pushed a vax on me...never even blinked when i said we were denying/delaying...

switched to kaiser and w/in ten MINUTES i had already been offered two vaccines...and given the "grave head shake" when i declined...it was weird. they also pushed the GTT on me in such a way that they thought i and my babies would die if i didnt get tested for gestational diabetes at FOUR WEEKS PREGNANT...i was like...wtf? i never take the test, let alone at frickin 4wks pregnant...i honestly dont get some of their policies and if i get pushed again at my next appt. im going to say something.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a severe asthmatic and so is C2. We had whooping cough when I was pg w/C4. As it turns out my doula had it when I delivered. I did give C2 hydrocodone cough syrup that the Ped prescribed, along w/our breathing tx. I also used colloidal silver in the nebulizer and that is what made all the differnce. Baby did not get it. I passed my immunities onto him. C1, C3 and DH were all exposed, but none contracted it. None of our family and friends that visited or our church family contracted it.

Misty, I'm an RN, too. I wonder why it is that we never educate on the horrors of the vaccines, themselves? I wonder why we (the medical community at large) don't stress how critical it is to keep ourselves healthy? I wonder why we don't teach our patients about herbs and vital link between immune system and what we choose to put in our bodies? I wonder why we don't educate as to the effects of GMO, pesticides and processed food?

Was the man that died vaxed?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I really don't understand this huge campaign to get adults to vax themselves for WC. I can't see how it would work especially since the pertussis vax doesn't prevent illness, it just lessens the symptoms. So people still get WC they just don't get the horrible racking cough (sometimes my kids were fully vax'ed and both got full blown cases of the illness). If they are still getting WC the vax won't stop it from being spread.

Also like to point out that the reason we are seeing a resurgence of WC this year in many parts of the country has nothing to do with declining vaccination numbers. WC numbers remain fairly stable every year but then spike to almost double every 5 years. The last spike was in 2004-2005 so it's right on target now. The number of kids vax'ed don't seem to make much of a difference on the numbers which makes sense since this vax doesn't prevent you from catching the illness.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...ses&deaths.pdf

All that said I'm kind of on the fence about dtap. I don't believe it works like it should, I think there is even a chance it may make the problem worse. However the illness is a terrible, scary one. I definitely would not get it while pregnant but I can completely understand anyone who wants to get it just in case it will work for their family.

As for your MW I can totally relate to how frustrating it is to hear someone try to convince you (and yes 'offering' 10 times is no longer offering it's trying to convince) I had our ped almost rip our heads off when we said no to one vax. Health care providers need to realize it is NOT their job to convince or cajole or trick you into giving your child any type of medical care. It's their job to offer you informed consent and to present the pro's and con's. It's NOT their job to offer only the benefits.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know, I think whooping cough is kind of a biggie for me. The issue would be if you passed it on to your baby before he acquired full immunity. We selectively vax and I'm vaxed against whooping cough. I believe DH is too. I'd seriously think about it. Just my 2 cents.