Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circumcism rates are dramatically falling

Honestly there wasn't any drama. Everyone just said, "Yay more boys are intact." Completely drama free IMO, but then you felt the need to defend what you have chosen for your boys, enter the drama...

I would really like to see the whole article as well, I am not a member of the website, so I can only read the first two paragraphs.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think without seeing the whole article, you have no way of knowing how valid the data is.

It is significant that no mainstream, large media outlet, pediatric association or other mainstream health organization has publicized this story yet.

I have no doubt that the rates have dropped. Medicaid not covering it was going to do that for sure, but what that actual number is and how that number was tallied are very important pieces of information to know.

But certainly 18 months worth of fewer than 2/3 kids not being circ'd by no stretch of the imagination now means that the majority of boys are intact. Somebody's math is way off. Our little girls will certainly grow up knowing both kinds of boys, much the way we did.

SO...

If someone could post the WHOLE article that would be great.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Delaney
Registered Users
seller

You now honestly I just never really considered NOT doing it for my boys so I am admittedly ignorant to the issues and I find it all very interesting that it is such a big debate. Personally, on a womanly level, I find uncirced ummm.....male units, so to speak, to be a turn off. But that's just me.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of those threads, if you don't like it don't READ IT. This was shared to share with others the excitement, the only ones who come in here to start things, are the ones it was not directed to in the first place. And just because someone does it, does not mean there is nothing wrong with it. I find statements like that amusing. If it was so darn great and beneficial, why does the majority of the rest of the world REFUSE to do it to their children??
I'm not sure if I was the one you got it from or not, but the report has not been released yet. To see the article, you can sign up for a 30 day trial, and then cancel after you read it

THe CDC "estimated" that the rate was at about 43%, that statement has been released. I think it is absolutely amazing and wonderful that more and more parents are choosing to educate themselves. It really made my year! The locker room "argument" was about the last standing excuse, and now that table has turned. So, I wonder if now more parents will still cling to that, and leave their boys alone so they can be like everyone else?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsu View Post
I just have to throw my 2 cents in and say that the only one who really benefits from circumcism is the doctor who gets paid to do it...and the hospitals who get to charge their costs for the procedure...so I'm just saying that there will probably be a big backlash of lobbying from those who benefit from the cost of this elective procedure.
NOBODY gets paid for this procedure anymore UNLESS it is done outside of the birth period (say when the kid is 2yrs old).

It has LONG been the norm, industry-wide (say late 80's early 90's), to NOT pay this procedure separately because the cost is presumed to be part of the overall payment for a delivery.

So if an insurance company pays $2500 for a vaginal delivery, the doc gets $2500 whether the circ is done or not.

This one is a myth....
Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledayz View Post
Personally I feel that it should be something that people have to choose to do, not have to choose not to do. Does that make sense?
You mean like how it used to be that you asked the doc to vaccinate for chicken pox if you had reason to be concerned not just vaccinate everyone. Our doc says are you going to vaccinate for chicken pox not just assumes you will. It makes you feel like 'I should see if this is important or not based on my families situation'. not the doc said to do it.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post
But certainly 18 months worth of fewer than 2/3 kids not being circ'd by no stretch of the imagination now means that the majority of boys are intact. Somebody's math is way off. Our little girls will certainly grow up knowing both kinds of boys, much the way we did.
DH nor I had ever seen an uncircumcised penis until our son was born. He is intact and we have actually looked at it trying to figure out exactly what would have been cut off. It is so crazy that we don't/didn't even know what his body was made to look like!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post
I think without seeing the whole article, you have no way of knowing how valid the data is.

It is significant that no mainstream, large media outlet, pediatric association or other mainstream health organization has publicized this story yet.

I have no doubt that the rates have dropped. Medicaid not covering it was going to do that for sure, but what that actual number is and how that number was tallied are very important pieces of information to know.

SO...

If someone could post the WHOLE article that would be great.
While I agree completely, at the same time, I would not be the least surprised if the AAP, etc tried to refute it or say its an unreliable study, because that means MORE parents will be leaving their sons intact, because "everyone else is". Pediatricians and hospitals will be losing ALOT of $$$$$.

I wonder if these rates were based on circumcisions done IN hospitals. I know many take place in dr offices, so that would mean the data isn't entirely accurate
Old 08-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #19
Zandersmommy09
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitter View Post
Honestly there wasn't any drama. Everyone just said, "Yay more boys are intact." Completely drama free IMO, but then you felt the need to defend what you have chosen for your boys, enter the drama...

I would really like to see the whole article as well, I am not a member of the website, so I can only read the first two paragraphs.
seriously I pretty much stated I started on the drama but also that its bound to happen when a thread like this gets started! but thanks for you smart remarks
Old 08-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
DH nor I had ever seen an uncircumcised penis until our son was born. He is intact and we have actually looked at it trying to figure out exactly what would have been cut off. It is so crazy that we don't/didn't even know what his body was made to look like!
DH and I are/were the same way! I look at him now and it makes me nauseous to realize how much they would have cut off.