Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tie Dye tips and tricks

I don't have much to offer...I'm just looking for your tips and tricks. I managed to resist the urge to peek last night so I just got mine out and rinsed and untied them. I was a little surprised by how they turned out (I know, that's part of the fun, but some of them were totally different than what I expected). I was afraid I was using too much dye and they were going to come out just solid colors but apparently not. They look good, but there are still huge white areas...apparently you have to really saturate them to get the dye all the way through! And most of the tieing techniques I knew or found were for doing t-shirts. It's a lot harder to tie diapers because they're so thick and the effect on the diapers was totally different from what it would have been on a t-shirt. Still, it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I only did part of them so now I get to play a little more and hopefully do a little better. That's why I want to hear your favorite tips and tricks before I try again! I'll post pics when mine get done in the wash. Thanks!

Barb

Advertisement

bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tie Dye tips and tricks

Good tips as my son and I are going to do some prefolds today! We got a rainbow rock kit yesterday.....so I'm really excited to try it Never tie dyed before......so I'll let you know what my experience is like when I do it! I'd love to see pics of how yours turned out too
Jemgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just got them out of the wash:

Apparently prefolds are way more absorbent than I had given them credit for because the backsides of these look totally different than the fronts. I can't believe with the amount of dye I used that it didn't soak all the way through!

When dying t-shirts, I usually would start the "gather" in the middle so that you get a circle effect on the shirt. You can see where I did that with a couple of these (the bottom two pictures) and it turned out well but it was hard to get the dye even because the middle of the diaper is so thick. I think the ones I like better are the ones where I started gathering at the corner so that it was a little easier to work with. I also found out that the "swirl" technique doesn't work too well with a diaper because it's just too small and thick to handle. That's what I was trying with that top one and it does look interesting but not what I was expecting.

I actually kind of like the three solid blue ones and all I did with those was wad the diaper up and then randomly rubber band it so it stayed wadded up. That would be pretty easy to do with a little helper.

I mentioned to someone in the diaper chatter forum last night that when I was a camp counsellor, when we had little bitty girls, we would hang the shirts or towels or pillow cases or whatever we were dying on a clothes line and then put the dye in spray bottles for the kids. It took less coordination on their part and they could see the results immediately. And it creates a cool splatter effect. You can also lay the item to be dyed flat on the ground and use a leaf or sponge shape or puzzle piece or something with a cool shape to block out an area and spray around it. Easy way to get designs on your fabric and it's fun for the kids to pick out the shapes to use.

Good luck and have fun! Make sure you post pictures for us and hopefully some others will have some advice soon...

barb
Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good job! I love them!
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, how many times do I have to wash these before they stop bleeding? Any ideas? The instructions said to rinse until the water runs mostly clear, then wash with the hottest water appropriate for the fabric. I did that, hot wash/cold rinse, the rinse water was still pretty blue so I did another hot wash/cold rinse, this time using the detergent I'd normally use for dipes, and the rinsewater is still pretty blue. So do I just keep washing? Does it need to be hot or is cold ok at this point? Should I be using my normal diaper detergent or is clear water ok? Do I even need to keep washing them or can I assume that they'll be ok with the rest of my dipes now?

Oh and it's Rainbow Rock dye if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

i'm just curious but how do you get the three colours on one diaper without them bleeding into each other or just going a conplete mud colour?
they are very pretty btw
Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i think they turned out really nice. pretty colors & neat effects. i don't know the first thing about tie-dying so i'm not much help.

i do know that i've read on some things (that i've received) that you should set the dye by washing it in hot w/ a 1/2c of vinegar....

katie
Old 04-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boy1girl1kitty2
i'm just curious but how do you get the three colours on one diaper without them bleeding into each other or just going a conplete mud colour?
they are very pretty btw
Thank you...I was pretty pleased with how they turned out for my first attempt. To do multiple colors, I tied the diaper however I was going to do it. I used rubber bands this time because it's the easiest way I know of with just two hands! So you wind up with several different "sections" of diaper separated by rubber bands. I put the dye in a squirt bottle (like a ketchup bottle or something) and squirted on the different sections. It does run together some but the tighter the rubber band, the less the color bleeds from one section to the next. Then you just wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit and soak for several hours (I let mine sit overnight and I'm really happy with the rich colors). When you rinse it afterwards, the colors will mix a *little* more but not much because most of the excess dye just rinses right off.

I used a Rainbow Rock kit that I got at the craft store and it came with an instruction book with pictures that showed how to tie the item to achieve different effects. I also found some similar instructions just by googling for tie-dye techniques. It really is fun...I can't wait to do some more!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
lovemyboys
Registered Users
seller

I think they turned out great! I love the vibrant colors!
lovemyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
amyers
Registered Users
seller

I just recently attempted it for the first time too! I used the teeny tiny tie dye kit from www.dharmatrading.com I had one that turned out very similar to your bottom left. DH says it's one of his favorites, because it looks like a "dancing girl" :-)

Here's a link to mine (since you asked for pics!): http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...myers/tie-dye/

How did you get the one that's right above that (green and freckley) I think that's very cool!

I found that my "pleated" ones worked much better than my gathered or rolled ones, if that helps for your next try. . .