Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tie Dye tips and tricks

Wow, I love them all! So.. is this an indoor activity or better done outdoors? I am working up the nerve to buy some dye and do some PFs and toddler t-shirts. Someday.

Advertisement

i0lanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0lanthe
Wow, I love them all! So.. is this an indoor activity or better done outdoors? I am working up the nerve to buy some dye and do some PFs and toddler t-shirts. Someday.
I think part of it depends on whether you'll have little helpers or not. I did these on my kitchen counter. I just used a large tupperware bowl that I'm not particularly attached to. Since I was squirting the dye on, I was able to keep *most* of it on the dipe and the drips went on the bowl. I rinsed the bowl pretty much after each diaper and surprisingly, it didn't stain. I had laid out several pieces of plastic wrap on the countertop ahead of time so that when I finished dying one dipe, I could just lay it out of the way on the plastic wrap and then when I was done and took the gloves off, I wrapped them all up and stuck them inside a tupperware container with a lid (it said to keep them moist while they set). I think if you have little hands helping out, it would probably be best to do it outside just in case. If it's a nice day, it wouldn't hurt to do it in the driveway where you can just spread out as much as you need and not have to worry about mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers
I just recently attempted it for the first time too! I used the teeny tiny tie dye kit from www.dharmatrading.com I had one that turned out very similar to your bottom left. DH says it's one of his favorites, because it looks like a "dancing girl" :-)

Here's a link to mine (since you asked for pics!): http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...myers/tie-dye/

How did you get the one that's right above that (green and freckley) I think that's very cool!

I found that my "pleated" ones worked much better than my gathered or rolled ones, if that helps for your next try. . .
I think those are GORGEOUS! Do you use prefolds or are you going to convert them to prefitteds or what? Some of mine will be converted to prefitteds (www.tinkletraps.com) but some I'll probably leave as-is. I want to do some matching t-shirts too and who knows what else I'll come up with. I thought about asking one of the WAHMS who makes fitteds I really like if I could send her some dyed cuts of fabric to use as the outers on my next order of dipes. Like I needed another addiction hobby!

For the freckly one, it was actually an afterthought. When I started cleaning up, I realized that there was a diaper still soaking in the soda ash solution so I just crumpled it up in the bottom of the tupperwear bowl and started splattering blue and yellow dye on it. I was surprised by how good it looked until I knocked over the bottle of red dye and got spots on it so I just decided to splash some of that on there too and see what happened. I think the red is a little overpowering but, hey, it's a diaper, right?
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #13
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

Great tips for shapes:

Plaids and Stripes, accordion pleat the fabric length wise:teresaarrington/tiedie001.jpg

Then accordion pleat into a square package and Tie with rubber bands, one horizontal and one vertical:http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5.../tiedie002.jpg

Heart: Stitch a heart with long gathering stitches (like a 4).
Pull the gather as tight as you can and place a rubberband
around the cloth right on top of the stitching (it will kinds look
like a ghost-sorry no pic) and die. When you are done, you
simply take off the rubberband and ungather the stitches. The
affect is really cool and can be done with almost and simple
shape.
Here is a cool webpage with illustrations:http://www.prochemical.com/directions/Folding.htm

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

Tie dying is so much fun! I have a ton of 3X cotton men's shirts that I plan to cut up and tie-dye for diapers. They'd be so cute as covers, but the cotton would wick. Thanks for sharing all your tips and beautiful creations, ladies!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:

I posted another thread on this....
but here are the pics of the dying I did yesterday:

full view of all the prefolds;
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/22ac9793.jpg

and some closer ups of them:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/84d8d098.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/e10ac00a.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/669541b7.jpg

the shirt I did for Liam
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/9a82b176.jpg

and Liam in the shirt
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/P1010078.jpg

It was soo much fun, can't wait to do it again!
Jemgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
amyers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
Do you use prefolds or are you going to convert them to prefitteds or what?
Lol, I planned to try them at first, but when dh saw them, he said, "I'll do this cloth diaper thing, as long as I don't have to use THOSE!"

So they're burp cloths . . . I was bored with them, and dyed some Had so much fun, I'm thinking of trying to sell them. . . Got a bunch of dye that's supposed to arrive today, and a bunch of onesies an t-shirts, and a few pfs I didn't dye before (in case it was a huge disaster) . . . Fun for the weekend (while DH is around to keep an eye on dd, and the weather is nice)!

I'll have to post more pics next week . . .

Ang
Old 04-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #17
MamaStace
Registered Users

This is a great thread! Tracylhl and I are planning to "someday" tie dye with our kiddos. We'll have to bookmark this thread! I haven't tie dyed since Girl Scouts!

MamaStace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #18
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

awesome pics ladies, you all did great jobs!!

thanks for the links too on the tricks, ill have to bookmark it to try
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #19
dharmafarm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my first visit to diaperswappers. I found this post searching google for tips on tie dye that bleeds.

I used to use RIT all-purpose dye, but I had a terrible washing accident w/my cloth diapers after washing a few prefolds I dyed with green RIT, so now I am trying Procion fiber-reactive dye.

The orange/red method was achieved by sprinkling powdered dye on wet, tied and scrunched cloth and then spraying with soda ash water. You can get more details here: dharmaTrading Tips

The red/white/blue dipes and wipes were made using the traditional tye and squirt dye method, but the blue is still bleeding. I followed the directions to a "T" so I don't know what the problem is. The orange/yellow diapers never bled. I think I'm going to try a color-setting wash additive.

I got the results I was going for best when I made the wipes- which figures because they are sewn from recycled t-shirts. For diapers, I think the premium prefolds are best, and they are the softest for babies anyway.

As other posters have mentioned, the prefolds don't dye like t-shirts do, because there are so many layers of fabric. I'm going to overdye the red/white/blue ones, and this time, I'll push on the fabric to help the dye reach in deeper. It might also help (using fiber-reactive dyes) to let the tied prefold dry after it has been soaked in soda ash water, and then put alot of yellow in, squeezing it to help it get in deep on those folds, to start as the base dye. Hopefully that way I won't end up with so much white space.

Word of caution- I've looked into a bit and learned that any dye you are exposed to, your baby is as well if you are breast-feeding. Procion dyes, although fairly non-toxic, can contain metals and other chemicals that you can absorb through your skin or by inhaling the dust that can get into your breastmilk. Probably not a big issue for the occasional dyer, but if you do it alot, don't wear a dust-mask when working with the powder, or don't wear gloves when rinsing out the dye, you could be exposing yourself and your baby to more toxins than you need to.

Happy Dye-Ing! BTW, anyone else ever have trouble with Procion or othe fiber-reactive dyes bleeding?
dharmafarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:57 AM   #20
m0mto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Admittedly I didn't read lal the posts, but this is the info that I have in my albeit small brain that may help.

RIT bleeds... it's better to use a procion dye...
Rinse in HOT water until it comes clear... you can even do it in your washer with about 30 seconds of agitation but the water has to be HOT HOT HOT.

Then do a wash in HOT water with synthrapol.
Then a wash with warm water and vinegar.

THat should fix the dye so it doesn't bleed.
I just dyed 29 T shirts and a dress for my chorus at school in Blue and Green and they turned out great. The kids LOVE them.