View Poll Results: Do you throw your children a birthday party every year?
Yes 73 54.07%
Most years we do 15 11.11%
No 45 33.33%
Other 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you throw a birthday party for your children every year?

More than just cake and ice cream with parents and siblings. DH didn't have parties every year growing up but I am pretty sure I did (have to confirm that with my mom but if anything more times than not I got a party with friends over). I am budgeting for both of our dd's parties and Christmas (all fall/winter) and we got on this topic. So just wondering do you throw a party every year? Not necessarily and huge party but something with a few friends/ cousins, games, cake, etc...

I think I add a poll

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you throw a birthday party for your children every year?

Both of my kids are young, but we've never had a birthday party for them that wasn't just family (but I have a pretty big family). Probably as they get older we'll have friends over, etc., but it definitely won't be an every-year thing. Too expensive.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Other, we've had a huge party every year, combo parties starting at 2yo for DS2 & DS1 together (June & mid May birthdays). So weve had one year with two huge parties for each kid. DS1 also had two big parties -a week apart- for his first birthday since MIL insisted on having her own party for him at her house with her friends (yeah, I know ). We also do cake, ice cream, go out for lunch, and sometimes dinner on their actual birthday (the usual for all birthdays, kids & adults) with the big party on a weekend.

This year I didn't want a party. DH only gets two scheduled times off a year. We usually use one for the combo party and one for a family vacation. DH needs knee surgery, so there goes one scheduled off time. That left room for either a party or a vacation. I wanted to do an all out family vacation in June, an all birthday themed family vacation. MIL & SIL were shocked that we weren't going to have a regular birthday party with other kids & family They planned a party, they paid for it all, BUT it had to be done at the same time as our family vacation. So our nice vacation was cut short to rush home to their party for the kids Never again. Not only did they rent a gymnastics place and invite all kinds of kids, they also had a huge BBQ at SIL's house with their extended family after the gymnastics party. So we came home from a vacation, did a gymnastics party by 2pm, and then an after party until 6/7pm. Next year the kids will be old enough to decide and not MIL/SIL (they can pick what they want to do on their birthdays!).

so no, I dont mind not having a huge all out party every.single.year. for each child Cake, candles, gifts and ice cream with parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents & cousins at home is just fine with me for young kids.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes we do one every year. Of course what we do depends on our budget but we always manage to do something. The kids love it and it's a memorable thing for them. Plus DD is to the age where she loves to help plan everything. As a matter of fact we're planning her party right now because she turns 4 next month
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Yes, but they're still young. We're not going to be throwing them parties when they're 28 or anything! In Hawaiian culture the first birthday is a huge life event, so those parties are always big to-dos.

Second birthdays are much less extravagant as a compensation. DS's second was just a little barbecue with another family with young children. DD's second will be a little bigger because we have a much larger group of friends with children this time around, but we're not inviting everyone and it'll be a simple lunch party. And I'm really, really, really stressing to people that we don't want any presents, which I think those who we'll invite will honor.

As DS has gotten older parties have gotten more attention to detail, but fewer friends are invited so it doesn't get out of hand. We don't spend lots on birthdays. If I have to budget for it (beyond the first birthday) then it's too big!

Oh, and we don't live near family, so we can't do family-only parties even if we wanted to.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Out of the last 8 birthdays, shes had 4 parties.
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Nana83
Registered Users

My Mood:

Her first and second bdays will probably only involve family, but I definitely plan to have themed parties every year thereafter until she no longer wants them. That's the norm for my fam.
Nana83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Leslieann
Registered Users
seller

Yep every year! I look forward to it as much as he does!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope. Each of my kids have had maybe one "big" party and the rest it's just us...and cake. But we also live in a different state than both sets of family and we homeschool so there isn't a whole classroom of kids to invite.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I do up until they dont want them. My oldest is 9, middle 2 and youngest is 4 mos. With my oldest we do the same thing every year, we have a bday party at the park. We invite a ton of her friends and our friends and family. Its great, and this year Im debating on doing 1 big one for the younger two as DD#2 is April 19th and DD#3 is March 25th. Very close together to do separate ones.