View Poll Results: Do you throw your children a birthday party every year?
Yes 73 54.07%
Most years we do 15 11.11%
No 45 33.33%
Other 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you throw a birthday party for your children every year?

I voted yes before I read your post, so I should have said "sort of"

DD's birthday is always a bbq with lots of family/friends (although she's just 3, and a bbq is easy in the middle of the summer). This year it was smaller and more geared towards her friends, not just our friends.

DS has only had one birthday so far, and we had the family that could come, and had cake. Very low-key. They'll get bigger as the kids get older, but I don't think we'll ever do anything more extravagant than maybe a pool party.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep! It's an excuse for family to get together which I love. We threw DD a big 1st birthday party..over 30 guests. Most were family since she didn't have "friends" but we did it at the fellowship hall at church and had lunch and cake and all sorts of fun.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had a big party for ODS's first and second. Since YDS will be one this year, naturally we'll have a party for him. And since ODS turns 3 less than one month later, he'll get a party too. Starting next year though, we'll almost certainly have a joint party for them.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:

We threw a "party" this year (first birthday), but we plan on doing it every year. Nothing over the top or too expensive but a get together of friends and family. I'm sure once our kids get older then we will have one family get together and one for their friends.

Usually it's after dinner, lots of snacks, and I'll make a 3Dish cake from scratch that has to do with their interests. I used to love my birthday parties so I can't imagine not doing the same for my kids.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Nope. We have family parties (including aunts & grandma & 3 cousins), but haven't had any friends until this latest birthday.

DS just turned 5 and I figured this was a good age to have a big party, since hopefully he'll remember it. So we had a gymnastics party yesterday and had 16 kids there. (I asked him at bedtime if he liked his party and he said No, because he didn't like having to leave and wanted to stay there forever.)

My plan then is to have a big 5th birthday for DD too. And then maybe have the next kid party around 10ish. Don't know yet whether that will be a big one, or maybe a really big day with just a few close friends. Guess it will just depend on what seems like the best fit when the time comes.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:

We usually invite family and our friends who have kids that are friend with my kids. In fact we had one yesterday . My DD is going to be 9 in Feb. and we are already planning her first friends only party. We do a huge birthday party for the 1st birthday and then the family/ friends parties after that. My DS3 will be 1 in April and that party is in the works also. Can you tell we LOVE having parties/BBQs .
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH and I have compromised. I like throwing birthday parties and DH thinks they're silly, so our kids will have a big first birthday party with extended family and friends, then they will just have grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins (if they ever get any) until they are old enough to request friends at their parties.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #18
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's the way I was raised. You have a party, you serve food, you play games.
I'm very thrifty, so I do parties for under $100. This last year I had 50-100 people at her party...lol. I wasn't allowed to have a big 1st birthday party, so I did a big 2nd one.

I only have one kid and I LOVE birthday parties. I might do little ones at Chuck E. Cheese's or something when she's bigger for friends & family that can make it and then a party on her birthday. I was raised to where you always have a party on their birthday and whoever can come, comes. If you can't come, then oh well. But I don't believe in doing it on the weekend or a day different than your actual birthday. We always celebrate that day
Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaners_Mom View Post
It's the way I was raised. You have a party, you serve food, you play games.
I'm very thrifty, so I do parties for under $100. This last year I had 50-100 people at her party...lol. I wasn't allowed to have a big 1st birthday party, so I did a big 2nd one.

I only have one kid and I LOVE birthday parties. I might do little ones at Chuck E. Cheese's or something when she's bigger for friends & family that can make it and then a party on her birthday. I was raised to where you always have a party on their birthday and whoever can come, comes. If you can't come, then oh well. But I don't believe in doing it on the weekend or a day different than your actual birthday. We always celebrate that day
I would love some tips on how to keep a party under $100 if you don't mind sharing DD2's birthday is in mid October. I am planning to have it at our house. I usually make the games myself when I can and shop the dollar store for a handful of good prizes for the games. I make small goodie bags for the kids (usually about 12 kids) usually filled with a homemade treat, small toy and maybe stickers or something). I always let my girls choose a theme. DD2 loves Elmo so I think we will be doing a sesame street/elmo theme. Where I really have a hard time keeping costs down is the food. I was thinking of having her party between meal times so I don't feel the need to serve a full meal. I can just put out finger food/snack stuff but even that seems to be adding up. I'd love any frugal advice. Most of our parties are around $150-170. I would love to hit right at $100.

Last edited by CarrieAnn0413; 08-08-2010 at 10:25 PM.
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #20
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do family/close friends parties for our kids until they get to be school aged. Once they are in school, we do parties for them that they can invite their friends from school to.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote