Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Another cars seat question...

Ok, I need some info here. My neighbor is FREAKING that I would spend money on a Britax carseat because they don't go up to 100lbs. The Roundabout goes up to 4olbs and the Marathon goes up to 65lbs. It got me thinking and I realized...you don't need them to go up to 100 anyways...My daughter Lyshie is 60lbs and is 7 years old.

How many of you use your infant/toddler carseats past the age of 2-3. At what age do you buy a cheaper booster seat to transition the older child to so you're younger one can have the infant/toddler seat.

I hope I'm making sense. LOl!

Mandi

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
kingdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another cars seat question...

I believe 65 lbs is about as high of a weight as you can get in a convertible seat. I Still have my DS in his marathon and he is 2.5. We actually just turned the seat forward facing a couple weeks ago. He'll be in the Marathon until he reaches the height limit or the seat expires because he's a skinny guy and I'm sure weight won't be an issue. After that we'll move him into a belt positioning booster.

ETA, DS #2 is getting a Marathon of his own and we'll do the same with him.

JoJee Creations Custom pencil portraits and knitted goods
kingdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

People who buy the AIO seats that go up to 100lbs think they're getting a bargain because it's the only seat they'll need. They're wrong. The harness is outgrown by height when the child's shoulders are even with the top harness slot, which is often well before the 40 lb minimum to use the seat in booster mode without the harness. And the booster is often outgrown by height long before the child is ready for a regular seatbelt (and WAY before 100lbs). So they often end up buying at least one other seat anyway.

My 4 y.o. is still in his Britax Marathon. I figure he has another 1/2" to 1" of torso height to grow in there. He has long outgrown all other convertible seats (what I believe you are referring to as infant/toddler seats) other than the Sunshine Radian. He only weighs about 36 lbs. There's no way I would put him in a booster now. He's far to squirmy to stay safe. I figure we have another 6 months at least, hopefully more like a year before he outgrows the MA, then we'll buy a booster for him. We ended up buying a second MA when DS2 outgrew the bucket seat because we knew that we'd want to keep both boys in a harness for as long as possible.

Here children are required to stay in a booster until 8 years old or 80 lbs, whichever comes first.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
At what age do you buy a cheaper booster seat to transition the older child to so you're younger one can have the infant/toddler seat.
DS is 5 years old and 60lbs and he is still in a 5pt harness that he will be in until he is 100lbs (Kid-Y Safetly Angel) and DD is in a britax decathalon that she will be in until she outgrows it then she will move to either a Kid-Y or a Regent.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Well you can go ahead and LAUGH at your neighbor, because while some seats advertise going up to 100lbs, most are only harnessed until 40lbs (and most kids outgrow those seats by HEIGHT before weight), then make a pretty poor BPB after that

Personally, I'd rather have a seat I know that is safe which can be harnessed MUCH longer, and then buy a safer and easier to use booster when necessary.

And FWIW, my DS is 6 and not even 50lbs yet, and he's not particularly small... he'd still fit fine in DD's Boulevard, and we're about to order a Radian 65 and I'll see how he fits in there

Last edited by EasterBun; 02-27-2007 at 12:17 PM.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My oldest daughter is 9 years old and she was harnessed until she was 7 years old! She is very tiny, though. She's not 50 pounds yet. We put her in a high back booster when she turned 8 and she's still in it. She'll probably still have to sit in it when she's 16 and driving!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
zbrandie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just don't think a carseat should be a place to save $$ and buy one that supposedly will last. We tried this with dd#1 and ended up with lesser quality AND buying multiple seats. Better safe than sorry!

Brandy
Just 10, D 9, Roo 6 and H
zbrandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
paulnkyliesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got an aio as a baby gift 3 years ago and my son is about to outgrow it heightwise and it's a piece of junk.He is to little to be unharnessed so we are now in the market for a new seat, I wish i had asked for a britax cause now we can't afford one.Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

court
paulnkyliesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My AIO stays rear facing to 34lbs (maybe 36?) which is great. Its been comfy and it installed easily. Now its FF... but only for about FIVE POUNDS then he either uses it as a booster or we buy a new seat to use for the following 25-40lbs. The other problem? After he outgrows whatever long-use harness seat I buy the AIO will be EXPIRED and he'll need a new booster anyway!
DS is 8.5 and outgrew his highback booster by height and just got a backless, he's not 4'9" so I won't let him b w/o a booster. He's one of the tallest in his age group so I think with the new stats that safety-conscious parents will find their children in seats until around 11 years of age. A 0-65lb seat will hold most for 6 years, then it expires around the same time the child outgrows it. After that a backless booster (which is cheap) will hold them for the next 5 years expiring again when the child outgrows it.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Let your neighbor make her carseat decisions and you can make your own. Just nod your head at her if she tries to give you grief. The best carseat for YOUR child is that one that fits them best at the time. That can and will change. Expecting one seat to go up to 100 pounds is crazy, IMHO.

We're looking for a Regent now because DS is 2 and a half and is 38" tall and 36.5 pounds right now. He's maxing his carseat and at 2 and a half I am not comfortable with putting him in a shoulder belt booster (when he hit the weight and height requirement). He doesn't have the sense God gave him, I love him but it's true. Not only do I believe 5-point harnesses are better as long as possible but he'd unbuckle the shoulder belt, I'm sure of it.

So, my own personal opinion is that your neighbor is the crazy one. 270.00 spent on the safety of your child is very little (if you have the money to spend - we were waiting for our income tax refund to come in to get ours).
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote