Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty Training, too early?

Hello all! I have a quandary...

It's time to update my stash (sell the small, buy more big) but my son is almost two...and I'm started to wonder about potty training? I'm going back to school next month, and possibly teaching a bit...so this month would be IDEAL. Especially since it's warm, we could start learning a bit in the backyard (do you put sunscreen on the boy parts?) and it'd be a great start to the year.

I don't expect him to stay dry all night yet, but he does wake up dry quite a lot.

He sits on the potty and has learned to take his diaper off, but hasn't ever gone to the bathroom in the potty yet.

He can follow directions, feel proud when he accomplishes something, seems to be hitting a congenial stage.

He doesn't turn 2 until the END of September.

What do you think? Do you think it's too early, or should I give it a go?

Advertisement

KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
jlcohen
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Potty Training, too early?

Does he stay dry for extended periods of time? That's been the biggest sign of readiness for both of my kids.

It sure is possible. DS was trained at 26 months. And DD was trained at 20 months. I will say while DS was easy to train, DD was a breeze. Give it a go. If he shows resistance then you could always try again later.

co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, extended rear-facing, cloth diapering, delayed vaccinating, part-time working mama of three sweet peas
jlcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a believer in early potty training. It is how they did it in the old days and it worked well for both of my kids. I really like the 3 day method. I used it very succesfully with my dd when she was 23 months. The author says that 22-26 months is the ideal time to train and I found it to be pretty true. I trained my dd at 23 months and she got it down in a few days and was intitiating right away and didn't even have signs of readiness. I didn't force it and it was done gently allowing her to control the process. It is a frustrating few days of accidents but worth it in the end.

My ds got a bad rash around 20 months that required stripping and he already had signs of readiness so I trained him then. I didn't end up doing the 3 day thing with him. I just put him in underwear and he followed me when I went potty and would pee and stay dry like that. He was speech delayed. He did good but he doesn't always iniate and has some accidents still but overall has done great and I am able to have him wear underwear even for outings. I think waiting until he started saying a few words would of been a little better to get him to iniate from the start but it was a very stress free and easy process.

I find this age to be a great time to potty train. I didn't have any power struggles and they picked it up fast. I didn't find it to be hard at all to train right before 2.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 08-10-2010 at 11:29 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Sakari
Registered Users

I don't really think it's ever too early We EC'd! and DD was out of dipes, nights and outtings, too, at 14 months.

It's the WAY you go about it that can be detrimental at too young of an age. Early potty training got a really bad rep because of the methods that were being used - not because of the timing.

Here's a thread you might find useful. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ht=older+child

Try it! you can always "stop" and try again later, I guess.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
magooken
Registered Users
seller

i think it depends on the kid. i had expectations of my daughter to pl at 18 months (because that's when my mom said i was), but she wasn't ready until closer to 3. i guess you can give it a try, but if it's not working, it will just get frustrating for both of you.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
aprilmadison
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can try now just be patient. I started potty training my sons (twins) when they were 20 months old. They had accidents but caught on pretty quickly. For the first 6 months there was a pee accident once or twice a week but I just cleaned up and didn't make a big deal about it. I'd rather have a few accidents than kids in diapers- just my opinion.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

We started with ODS a couple weeks ago and he'll be 2 on Aug 27. He is loving it! He picked out his potty, we skipped training pants and went for underwear so he picked those out. We do use pull-ups when we're out for the sake of the car seats and clothes but at home it's strickly underwear and a t-shirt. LOL. He picked out his potty treats (I use the Gerber Yogurt Melts that are actually for infants, but he loves 'em and it's not candy so that's a bonus) and we put them in a clear mason jar with a lid and we decorated it and it sits on a little magazine rack (with his books in it) so he can see them and he gets 1 everytime he goes! He hasn't had an accident yet! We do use pull ups for naptime and diapers at night though. He'll ask for "a diapy" before bed. LOL.

I say go for it! Worst thing that can happen is he's not ready yet.

Last edited by Crew&West; 08-10-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THANKS for the input, it's making me braver I think. I think I'll get some undies or training pants and give it a go. I have a couple books on potty training, but what's the three day method?
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
snic_1982
Registered Users
seller

im not sure about the three day method but i had to add i think it depends on the kid! if your son seems interested, why not give it a go???? if he doesnt, then try again later, it cant hurt anything! good luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's official! We will be giving it a go as soon as we have a few days in a row with no interruptions. I think Monday will be our best bet. I need to get a few more potties to have stashed around the house, and I'm getting everyone on board I'm thinking along the same lines. Give it a try...see if he's up for it...if not I won't make it a big frustration. We can just take our cues from him, but he seems to be wanting to learn. Thanks for the advice, and that EC and PL link was great. Good advice for potty-teachers in general! Thanks!