Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

For the love of reading group - Aug 9 - 31

(Sara, I hope you don't mind that I started this week's thread for us. )

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

This will be a daily/weekly thread where weíll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books youíre reading to your kids, if youíd like

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL-if you donít want a goal thatís fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure weíre reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When youíre done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you donít have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! Iíll start a new thread every week so it doesnít get to overwhelming.

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 08-23-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the love of reading group - Aug 9 - 15

Hey everyone! I didn't see a thread for this week, so I went ahead and made one. How's everyone doing with their reading goals?

I just finished a couple of books this week - Lord of the Flies by William Golding and The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan. I also finished my audio book, Body Surfing by Anita Shreve recently and am listening to Day After Night by Anita Diamant - all of them wonderful and recommended!

Lord of the Flies - classic, must read before you die. My son had to read this over the summer for school and I wanted to read it again and discuss with him.

The Red Tree - This would make an excellent book club book! There are several stories within this book overlap and play into one other. I'm having a hard time summarizing it with the kids bouncing around, because it's a complex story, but it's really good! (Thank you for mentioning this one, Charise!)

Body Surfing - I listened to the audio version and first of all, I'm in love with the reader for this book!! This was a good "fluffy" summer story. A good escape novel and I highly recommend the audio version.

Day After Night - I can't give an actual recommendation yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I must say, I wasn't in the mood at all to listen to this genre/story but I need to return it to the library soon and so went ahead and started listening. It had me hooked right away and wasn't at all what I was expecting. So far, so good!

Charise - if you want to discuss The Red Tree, I'd love to! Should we start a new thread for this book so we don't give spoilers to the others though?

Reading with DD has been going great. We've been taking a stack of books home from the library and it's cutting down on the repetition a bit. lol We're going to try story time again this Friday. We had to skip last week due to some dentist appointments (boo). I'm hoping we can read through the last few books we checked out for her before then, which shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited by Rainfall; 08-11-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

And, I really should make an additional goal. It's not a reading goal, but it's very much related. I don't know why I keep checking out stacks of books from the library when I HAVE two bookshelves full of books I very much want to read and haven't yet! After I've read my current stack, I'm going to try very hard not to check out another book (audiobooks ok) from the library until I've read, say...5...books of my own that are waiting.

I wish I hadn't gone so crazy collecting all of these books to read and had just borrowed them from the library to begin with. LOL!! At least I'm never short on reading material. Oy.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I went back to my own stash of books. Read several yaoi novels I had been putting off including Don't Worry Mama and Cold Sleep. Neither were particularly impressive but there are few books in the genre and I have dedicated myself to reading all of them at some point. Cold Sleep was yet another book that was supposed to have a sequel but doesn't for whatever reason. I don't know if it exists and hasn't been translated or just was never written. I'm getting rather frustrated with this. So I switched back to manga and have read all of the June Manga I had purchased but not read yet. Sunflower was cute and by a Mangaka I really like, I need to get book 2, at least I know that exists. Paradise on the Hill was also cute, not the best I've read but cute, and again this is a mangaka I am familiar with. "Time Lag", "Alcohol, Shirt, Kiss" and "Dost Thou Know" were only so-so. I'm not sure what to pick up next. I still have a lot of manga waiting to be read. I love Half Price Books, it feeds my addictions. Page count is now 4,875

On goal two we were a bit slow going on Return to Howliday Inn but finished it last night putting us at 615 pages total. Tonight we are going to read The Story of Buddha because we have been studying Tibet and Buddhism this week and our class time has been cut into by Drs appts lately.

On goal three, Kearnan's reading. Last week we did really well and Kearnan read his 5 books. This week is a bit slower. We are reading for his class work but it is going slowly. He read me his paper on Dolphins but we need to work some more. I think we will focus on reading and science tomorrow which will help his reading count.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Well I went back to my own stash of books. Read several yaoi novels I had been putting off including Don't Worry Mama and Cold Sleep. Neither were particularly impressive but there are few books in the genre and I have dedicated myself to reading all of them at some point. Cold Sleep was yet another book that was supposed to have a sequel but doesn't for whatever reason. I don't know if it exists and hasn't been translated or just was never written. I'm getting rather frustrated with this. So I switched back to manga and have read all of the June Manga I had purchased but not read yet. Sunflower was cute and by a Mangaka I really like, I need to get book 2, at least I know that exists. Paradise on the Hill was also cute, not the best I've read but cute, and again this is a mangaka I am familiar with. "Time Lag", "Alcohol, Shirt, Kiss" and "Dost Thou Know" were only so-so. I'm not sure what to pick up next. I still have a lot of manga waiting to be read. I love Half Price Books, it feeds my addictions. Page count is now 4,875

On goal two we were a bit slow going on Return to Howliday Inn but finished it last night putting us at 615 pages total. Tonight we are going to read The Story of Buddha because we have been studying Tibet and Buddhism this week and our class time has been cut into by Drs appts lately.

On goal three, Kearnan's reading. Last week we did really well and Kearnan read his 5 books. This week is a bit slower. We are reading for his class work but it is going slowly. He read me his paper on Dolphins but we need to work some more. I think we will focus on reading and science tomorrow which will help his reading count.

Holy cow, that sounds like a ton of pages! Maybe it's different with manga though. Are they like comic books and faster to read?

We went to the library for story time this morning and they didn't even have it today! They're about to transition to the school year schedule and are taking a couple of weeks off. Boo! So I let DD run around and play with the other kids and the activities, we checked out some new books for her and then hauled out of there as fast as we could when she started her meltdown.

I need to finish the book I'm reading now (A Year in the Maine Woods - it's a memoir) because I just picked up some contract work for my old job - yeah!! It's at least 30 hours of work, so all next week I'll be immersed in that 100% and there won't be time for reading. But, it's really good money so I'm not complaining!

And does everyone else want to just make these a monthly thread instead of a weekly one? It might be easier to keep up with and we won't have to search multiple threads for recommendations, etc. We could start a fresh one with September. Just a thought!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Lonely readers, party of 2 - your thread is ready!

Where did all of our reader friends go?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was just wondering the same thing LOL. Where is everyone? I am definitely up for making this monthly, that is, if anyone else is still participating.

Manga is faster reading than novels. It is similar to comic books though often a bit more verbally dense. I can read a heavier novel (something like Anne Rice) at about 100pages an hour. I can read through manga at more like 150-200 pages an hour depending on how much is portrayed through art and how much conversation is going on. Some mangakas use more words to tell their stories, others use more pictures. I read a combination of novels and manga, just depending on what I'm in the mood for. The past two days I have been focusing on a manwha (like manga but Korean instead of Japanese) series I have been meaning to read for a while. I actually like manwha better but it is far less common in translation. I guess it is just less popular which is too bad. I think the art is better (depending on the mangaka but overall I just find it more attractive) and the stories tend to be a bit darker and less shallow/flippant than so much of the manga I've read. I collect both. I finished the last book of Totally Captivated tonight and it was amazing. The whole series (6 books totaling right around 1,300 pages) was wonderful. It was intense but there was some good comic relief and it had a happy ending (I'm a sucker for a love story with a happy ending). The art was beautiful too. So my page count is now at 6,197. I'm not sure what to pick up next. I still have more manga and a couple of yaoi novels waiting for me, as well as some books my friend loaned me that I haven't finished yet. I would love to make a stop by Half Price Books and look for some new books but I don't know that we will this weekend.

I didn't read to the boys before bed last night because we stayed up late to watch the Perseid meteor shower. Poor Tharen fell asleep before it even started. We have started Bunnicula Strikes Again and we finished The Life of Buddha during the day, though that was sort of a school project. It was 98 pages long. 713 pages total.

Kearnan's reading didn't go quite as well this week. We read three short stories about animals for school but that was all we managed. Next week we will try harder, this week was once again busy with Dr's appts.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the love of reading group - Aug 9 - 22

I just changed this thread to go through next week, too. Easier than starting a new one when I think we might have lost most of everyone anyway.

And I haven't been reading much lately since picking up that contract work. I'm right smack in the middle of a memoir that I'm not too excited about, so that doesn't help things either. I'm torn on just returning it without reading the rest or finishing it. It just really bothers me to not finish a book when I've invested that much time into it, and it's not terrible or anything.
*sigh* For now I have to focus on this work anyway. I've still kept up our reading with DD, though.

Last edited by Rainfall; 08-16-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group - Aug 9 - 22

I am that way too. If I start a book I really have to finish it, even if I put it off for years. There have been several that I took forever to read because I could just never get interested, but I couldn't not finish them eventually. Right now I am feeling frustrated because I have started several series and am unable to finish any of them because they were either never finished or never translated.

I didn't read a whole lot this weekend but did make a stop at Half Price Books. I wasn't able to find Rainbow Boys or Rainbow Road like I was hoping to but I did pick up a book by Charles De Lint that I haven't read before. I really love his writing. I also picked up a manga called Today's Ulterior Motives. I finished that over the weekend and read a Manwha I have had on the shelves for several months over my morning coffee. I was hoping to find at least the second volume before reading it because manwha tends to be really in depth and it is hard to read one or two volumes and then put it down and pick it back up later. I try to read it all as a straight shot. However I have been unable to locate any more volumes of it anywhere so I went ahead and read what I have. The title is Martin & John and it was beautiful. The premise is the story of three men named Martin and three men named John. It's sort of strange but the stories are not related and only one continues to the next volume (where we are supposed to meet 2 more men named Martin and 2 more named John). The second story just made me cry though. It reminded me of my best friend. I hope the next volume will be released in English soon. After this I intend to take a break from manga and move back to novels. I'm going to read Waifs and Strays by Charles De Lint, then I will probably loan it to my dad. He is the one who introduced me to Charles De Lint when I was a kid. Whenever I find a new one of his books I always pass it on. Page count 6,568 pages so far.

Reading along on Bunnicula Strikes Again with the boys. I am hoping to get the Bunnicula books done soon because I would like to have at least started re-reading Harry Potter with them before the next movie is released. I would also like to read Cat Wings with them, but that is a much shorter book series so it won't take long.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the love of reading group - Aug 9 - 31

I changed the thread to go through the end of the month, rather than starting a new one. Did we lose everyone on the original group (other than me and Shannon)??

I finished my contract work (yeah!!) and so now I can finally get back to reading. I have Moloka'i by Alan Brennert to read this week. It's due back at the library by Friday and there's a hold on it, so I can't renew. So that is top priority for me. I'm also near the end of my audiobook, Day After Night by Anita Diamant.

How's everyone else doing? Shannon?