Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
What kind of vax reations have your kids had?

Whether "normal" reactions or not.

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What kind of vax reations have your kids had?

Beyond extreme exhaustion, redness and a bump at the injection site, each DTaP shot he received, he screamed bloody murder the rest of the day and throughout the night. It was a blood curdling scream, too. It makes me shiver just trying to replay it in my mind. I knew something wasn't right with that, but it wasn't until after his second dose (& repeat symptom) that I began to delve into the vaccination research. I refused his third dose of DTaP at his 6 month appointment, and by 9 months we were no longer vaccinating.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Normal rxns that both kids have had: pain at site, fussiness, bump at site, low grade fever, sleepiness

DD - Hib - 104*+ fever for 3-4 days - could not be controlled with tylenol or motrin - had to give both (tylenol every 4 hrs and motrin every 6 hrs) to keep the fever down around 102-103* - had 1 febrile seizure

DD - 2 mth shots (don't know which one or ones did it, but peds I've talked to suspect Roto or GSK DTaP) - screaming uncontrollably & inconsolably for 15 min-3 hrs while arching her back - 15 min-1 hr break btw screaming fits - screaming fits lasted for 3 wks (needless to say I got no sleep during this time b/c there was nothing I could do to comfort her, so I just held her as she screamed for days on end), then slowly decreased in freq and duration during 1 more wk - diminished appetite during that time

ETA: I no longer give Roto (DD got the one dose at 2 mths, DS has never had any) or GSK DTaP (only give Daptacel) and DD's rxn to her 2 mth shots are the reason we now selective/delay. Her rxn to Hib (and the doc office's choice to blame it on a flare up of the cold she had when she got the shot) is the reason my kids do not get shots if they have so much as a sniffle.

FWIW - Her (then) doc refused to investigate the cause of the screaming and by the time I found one who would, she wasn't doing it anymore. As for Hib, her following shots had the same rxn (so it wasn't the cold); the doc's office blew me off each time. None of my DD's rxns have been reported to VAERS.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 08-11-2010 at 07:41 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

I only vax'ed #1. Like Brandi's son, she screamed all night long. In the months following she screamed every evening all evening- usually from 3pm until about 11pm. She also had only once weekly bowel movements. I had her to her ped. and to the ER and was repeatedly told that there was nothing to be concerned about. Things started to taper out a little, she begun having more regular poops and things began to normalize...until we went for her booster. It went to hell in a hand-basket again. The doctor shrugged off the correlation between the screaming, no-pooping and the DTaP but I decided at that point that there was more to these shots than he was informing me. I stopped and haven't looked back for any of my children.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS got rotovirus from the three part vax...ped tried telling me it wasn't possible and it was just severe diarrhea, then he saw him after getting the second part of the vax and said "okay, maybe it is possible" and we stopped the series. Most others he ran a low-grade fever for a couple days, nothing else major. He got his MMR shot at 15 months (because he was sick at his one year appointment) and we only did the MMR at that particular appointment because I was concerned about reactions from it and didn't want them to be able to try to pin it to another vaccination or anything else. Within a couple days of getting the MMR, he stopped sleeping at night and would wake up screaming (loud enough that it woke our neighbors and they came over to see if he was okay on one occasion), he started banging his head on walls & the floor, and he started having stomach issues. We started seeing a major decline in speech & other developmental areas as well. He was enrolled into speech therapy & developmental therapy pretty quickly and they originally told us "oh, well it was probably a reaction to the MMR vax"...then when all the stuff came out saying that the MMR vax couldn't cause autism, they started telling us that it was impossible for the reactions he had to have been related to the MMR vax. Personally...I feel they were related to it and they're not going to convince me otherwise.

DD got rotovirus from the vaccine--it was a three part vax at our peds office and after she got the first one & got rotovirus, we decided not to finish the series. First couple series of scheduled vaccinations she spiked 103-104 degree fevers for 3-4 days, non-stop crying, diarrhea, vomiting...pretty much all the standard "normal" reactions. We started a delayed schedule after that with one vax every 6-8 weeks...no reactions at all except to the MMR at 2 years...she got measles after having that one She got the DTaP at 32 months (just because of the way our delayed schedule and missed vaccination appointments due to illness had it falling age-wise)...she was fine for about an hour after the appointment, never had any redness, but she spiked a 104 fever that went down within fifteen minutes of getting tylenol, then spent the next 3 hours screaming like crazy (like that horrible blood curling scream) and banging her head on the walls and floor...I took her to the ER after that started, she promptly fell asleep as soon as we finally got into a room, and woke up fine. They said it must have just given her a headache and to follow up with our ped, we went in the next morning and he promptly reported a reaction with VAERS over that one.
ETA: Maybe the rotavirus vax was a two dose?? I could have swore it was a three dose one, but I can't find the kids' vax booklets now to look up the name and I can't find a three-dose one mentioned anywhere online

Last edited by smashncakes; 05-16-2011 at 07:09 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS got a low grade fever after one set of vaccines. I attributed it to PCV since the info sheet said it was a very common reaction. He never had any reactions, even crankiness, after his other vaccinations.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kearnan never had anything worse than tenderness at the injection sight with his first vaccines. It wasn't until his MMR vaccine that he reacted, and badly. I know I have told his story here before so I will try to make this short. He had his MMR at 18months because that is when it was done at the time at his pedi. Afterward he stopped sleeping at night, he stopped talking, he stopped making eye contact, he stopped eating. He would just scream, all day, every day. It was a horrible sound, not just screaming but wailing. He cut his diet down to plain pasta, bread, and chicken nuggets and even then he hardly ate. An MRI revealed evidence of brain damage from encephalitis. A known reaction to MMR vaccine. Later gastro testing showed he had no healthy bacteria in his intestines but he did have a nasty strain usually only seen in hospitals. He also has chronic measels in his intestines. He was diagnosed with low functioning PDD NOS, SPD and speech delay at 3 but with treatment (traditional and not so traditional) he has made great progress. He is eating again, and finally gaining weight. His growth is far behind and now he sees an endocrinologist to try to figure out why. We will probably never know if the two are related or not. He is now considered high functioning and the junk in his intestines is cleared out. He does still have chronic measles that can flare from time to time, and it is very obvious when it does. We try to keep his immune system healthy and his stress down to prevent flares.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I know that myself and both siblings had reactions to the MMR that my Mom remembers to this day. My brother refused to walk at all for almost a week after that one.

My DS had no issue with DTaP at 6 months but was EXTREMELY fussy and sleepless for 2 weeks after getting HiB and Pc at 7 months. He was supposed to get 2nd DTaP at 9 months but he has not yet. We will get it soon but I think the HiB and Pc I am going to give at separate times since I do not know which he reacted to.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

2 month shots were no big deal - just a bit fussy (but for him if I told you all fussy you'd look at me like I was crazy) and tired for about a day. We gave tylenol after not before as no one told us which was a mistake - give before - helps a lot - right before the shot, bring it with you. Generic of course. Legs tender.

6 month shots were harder - fussy, tired - slept much more than normal and had some fevering on and off - it last about 4 days and just as we were going to get an appt. with the doc he bounced back. Legs were very sore (same with two month but worse).
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS - nothing at all, maybe had longer naps on those days

Twins - 2 month - Abbie small fever 24 hours later and it was gone with one dose of tylenol
4 month - a little redness and bump at one of the two injection sites on both girls