Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #21
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What kind of vax reations have your kids had?

Hunter had hives, fever and seizures. Sometimes more than 1 seizure in a day, like less than 12 hours a part. We have not vaccinated Liev, don't know if we will, but if we do it will be delayed and selective. Hunter will not recieve any more vaccines unless he really needs to for some medical reason.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #22
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my oldest is the only one we ever had a reaction with and it was the chicken pox shot- which in my opinion is a stupid one anyway- she wound up getting a fever that wouldn't break and got dehydrated and by the time we left the hospital she had the chicken pox.. needless to say we passed on the booster and on getting that one for my other children- I would rather have the chicken pox as a kid than shingles as an adult anyway.
amanda_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS just got DTap today- nothing else and has had fever, burning up, cranky, crying, wanting to nurse non stop. I feel horrible. He has had other doses of this vaccine but today was just awful.
I forgot to add that he was listless and just limp in my arms- not him at all he is always on the go. That was what was really scary to me. I actually felt better when he started screaming and was cranky tonight- at least he was able to move around then!

Last edited by flynnsmom; 08-12-2010 at 08:43 PM.
flynnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #24
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

DD had the extreme sleepiness immediately after her shots at 2 & 4 months. I never made the connection of screaming for hours on end for months, but it's possible that it started then? We stopped vaxxing @ 4 months with the mindset of wanting to research first then decide. We could catch up if needed, but couldn't take them back if that wad our decision. We haven't given any since.

In 7th grade I received the MMR with most of my classmates as well as the 11th graders, all single file in the HS gym. Not sure why those two ages, but I can't find a ~1997 vaccine req. chart. Not long after, I also needed a tetanus shot for stepping on a rusty nail. Not long after, I developed odd symptoms on the right side of my body. They were sporadic, I thought I was a freak so I never mentioned it. After a couple months, They were gone.

[Had a vaccine for something in 11th or 12th grade. Don't remember because we didn't question anything like that.] During my senior year they returned. Stronger, longer, more often. When I would have what was later diagnosed as a hemi-dystonic seizure, my right thigh muscles tensed & I wobbled/walked with a limp that felt like I was dragging my leg. The right side of my tongue drew back so I slurred, badly, tripping over my own tongue like it was too big for my mouth. My right forearm & hand did the same thing, so my handwriting looked like chickenscratch & I dropped anything & everything. It took months of tests to get a diagnosis that was just called an idiopathic hemi-dystonia, meaning they had no idea why it happened. The more I read, the more I think it could be vaccine related. Or I could just be really weird. Who knows. Thought it may be worth sharing though, since I never told one single classmate. Heck, it was months before I told my mom to start making appointments where I could get answers. anti-seizure meds almost got complete rid of it.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #25
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_rocks View Post
my oldest is the only one we ever had a reaction with and it was the chicken pox shot- which in my opinion is a stupid one anyway- she wound up getting a fever that wouldn't break and got dehydrated and by the time we left the hospital she had the chicken pox.. needless to say we passed on the booster and on getting that one for my other children- I would rather have the chicken pox as a kid than shingles as an adult anyway.
Actually, having chickenpox as a child is what gives an adult the ability to have shingles. If you've never had chickenpox you can't get shingles. If you've never had chickenpox but contact the bodily fluid of someone with shingles, you can only get chickenpox (if you have no immunity). I had to ask our Ped. to explain last Christmas when my great uncle had shingles.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #26
jlcohen
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS never had a reaction other than some minor irritability.

DD has had at least 1 (if not more) febrile seizure after every vaccine since she was 9 months old. After the MMR shot, she had 2 febrile seizures within 12 hours of the shot. She also lost her appetite, was very clingy, stopped STTN and became very irritable for almost 3 weeks. We decided to delay vaccines after she ended up with pneumonia at her 15 month vaccines from the chicken pox vaccine. Her reactions at the 12 and 15 month shots were serious enough to be admitted to the hospital for a few days.

co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, extended rear-facing, cloth diapering, delayed vaccinating, part-time working mama of three sweet peas
jlcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

The only child who has ever reacted poorly to a vax is DS3. He was on liquid Zantac and his morning dose was right before his 2m appointment. He had his appointment, got the Rototeq, and for the next three days his stomach was HUGE, bloated, and hard. He had a mild fever. By day three I had enough, took him into the doc, and they admitted him to the hospital. He was HUGE by then, and dehydrated, so they pumped him full of fluids and wouldn't let him nurse for 24h. He hadn't pooed since the vax so they listed off 100 things it could be. Just before he was discharged, he pooped... And it had THAT smell. The ped wrote it up as a reaction to the vax and we found that babies on liquid antacids for reflux are NOT supposed to receive the vax because the stomach acid needs to be at full force to absorb and fight it off.

The day before the vax

In the hospital

They said they've only seen one other kid ever do that. No more Rotovirus anything for this baby.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #28
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first 4 kids didn't really have much aside from the usual fussiness and low-grade fever. Nothing out of the ordinary. DS3 got a few chicken pox from that vax at 12-15mos. I only remember b/c his DCP freaked out and that started a series of events that led to us no longer going there. For the best really!
But... #5 is when I really started paying close attn and not liking what I saw. I don't know if it's because he had dairy and citrus allergies (which none of the others had) and he's just "different" in many ways, but I remember his 6mos shots being really hard on him. He was so super fussy. Nothing would calm him. I had just purchased a swing and he was just so fussy he was even crying in his sleep. At his 18mos appt he got his 5th DTAP and reacted horribly to it. He was super fussy, major fever and he could hardly walk on his right leg. He also got the flu shot and something else so I went back to the Ped 2 days later and showed them and asked which vax went where and it was the DTAP. They said it's pretty common and that it's a reaction to the aluminum in the vax which doesn't often appear until the 5th dose and would probably be worse with the 6th. UGH! This is what it looked like...

It was super hot and mottled looking for awhile. After that I started doing more research on vax's and realized I really didn't want to subject my DS to that again. I filed for an exemption on that dose and the 2nd HepA dose as well. We don't do the flu shot anymore either. My Ped kinda pushed me to do the H1N1 vax this last year and while I wasn't "bullied" into it, because I had been dead set against it until that second, but he did use some scare tactics like "Could you live with yourself if one of your kids died from this after you declined the vax?" We had all been sick for a week and we didn't think it was H1N1, but then a few weeks later the Ped looked at everyone's symptoms and said he thought it was H1N1 although I was the only one who hadn't been treated with abx and my test came out negative. I had been sick for like 4wks at that point so he said it probably would be anyway.
I really like my Ped and he's always been super great until that day and while I still trust his opinion and skills, I'm still a little irked that he put me in that position that day and all my kids & I ended up getting H1N1 anyway! But now I'm even more committed to not getting further vax's and not letting a dr bully me into it.

eta- I forgot to mention that I also had pretty nasty reactions to my Kindergarten booster shots. That was 26yrs ago and I STILL remember the pain I was in. My arm swelled up and was horribly painful and hot.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 08-13-2010 at 10:55 AM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #29
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

A little red spot at the site of injection... pain for about a minute (how long he cried for).

no fever or anything.

He was cranky two days after his 6month dtap but that could have been teething or growth spurt.

DD (now two) cried really bad after her first set at 3 wks and had a low fever one week after MMR.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #30
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

My two dds are fully vaxed besides flu vaccination. Oldest always gets mild fever (even with her older kid shots). Other dd has never had a reaction.
My ds is on a select/delay schedule and he's had the most reactions, even getting less shots! Mild to high fever (104 was highest), swelling/redness at injection site for several days, and horrible crankiness/loss of sleep for days. We're going through the Hep B and A series right now and then I think we'll be done till he's ready for kindergarten (has not had the MMR yet).

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 08-13-2010 at 01:06 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote