Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
laurangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need sleep help for a 1 year old

My Lily just turned one last week. She's always been a terrible sleeper, but it's gotten worse lately. She's waking up 2-3 times a night now, and she always needs to be breastfed back to sleep. I'd like to be able to just put her in bed and have her fall asleep, but I have no idea how to go about doing that! I've tried all kinds of things, but the fact is that as soon as she wakes up, she stands up and cries until I come get her. Following my pediatrician's advice, I tried to let her cry if she wakes up more than twice in a night. This did absolutely nothing to get her back to sleep (she cried for an hour still standing up the entire time,) except make both of us very upset. I've tried putting her in bed and rubbing her back as my mother suggested, and I can't even get her to stay laying down to get a couple of pats in! It seems that if she's awake in bed, she's standing up waiting for me to take her out. The ONLY other way she's ever fallen asleep is in her carseat, and that only started 2 months ago.

I really need my sleep - it's been a year now - and I obviously need help getting there. Any advice is appreciated!

Advertisement

Last edited by laurangel; 08-11-2010 at 07:27 PM.
laurangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
cathrynapple
Registered Users

Re: Need sleep help for a 1 year old

Is dad in the picture? What happens if he tries? I have the same situation, but dad stepped in and started putting her back to sleep about half the time. It was difficult at first, but now she knows it's ok for Daddy to rock and pat her. She rejects this from me.
cathrynapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The no cry sleep solution by elizabeth pantly is such a lifesaver. She has steps to gently get them to that point, with no tears. My son was waking EVERY HOUR still at like 1 and I did her strategies and slowly but surely it started working. Withing a month or so, he was sttn!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama, I have a reluctant sleeper, too.

Everything that I've read says that this is a developmental milestone that most kids hit sometime between 18mo-2years. She is still a baby and still does need you in the middle of the night.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
3Daisies
Registered Users

Just about every time my DD starts waking several times a night out of the blue, I usually discover she's cutting a tooth. Just a thought.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
Oh mama, I have a reluctant sleeper, too.

Everything that I've read says that this is a developmental milestone that most kids hit sometime between 18mo-2years. She is still a baby and still does need you in the middle of the night.
This. It's probably a growth spurt and also the first year molars could be sprouting.

If it makes you feel any better I haven't STTN myself for 3.5 years! [My oldest is 3.5]. He started STTN around 18 months and then my second was born a month later! He just turned 2 in June and is just not slowing down to 1-2x a night to nurse. But his second year molars are coming in so it's been quite a bit more.

The good thing though is that now he just latches on without me knowing many times so I'm still sleeping!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
g&g
Registered Users

My Mood:

What does your DH do? When I was having issues with DD getting up 2-4 times a night to eat at about 7 months, but ped told me she was doing it out of habit and to let her CIO. I said no way, since I don't believe in CIO. Well, I thought about it, and told DH when we got home that the ped said it was a habit to nurse at night and that she said when I came in it made her want to eat, so HE had to start getting up with her at night. And he bought it all...started that night going in, soothing her, giving her the binkie and within 2 weeks she was sleeping 8+ hours...and now she is 15 months and sleeps anywhere from 11-13 hours a night straight. Good luck!
Katy, outnumbered Marine wife/mom/geologist to a spunky Hoo, a sweet Pipes, with #3 due in Aug, and 2 crazy wiener dogs, Graben and Gabi.

g&g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we did jay gordon's night weaning. But you need a partner on board to help. The thing about night weaning, it doesn't always mean they will STTN. Now at 28 months, ds only wakes once (and can go back to sleep with a little hug and reassurance), but he was every 3 hours until we night weaned at 18 months.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also, i know sleep deprivation sucks, but the waking you describes sounds normal to me, so don't think you are doing anything wrong.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
laurangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, Daddy's in the picture, but she gets hysterical if I don't come in to BF her to sleep! He's tried to sit next to the crib and pat her, but she just keeps standing up wanting to be held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathrynapple View Post
Is dad in the picture? What happens if he tries? I have the same situation, but dad stepped in and started putting her back to sleep about half the time. It was difficult at first, but now she knows it's ok for Daddy to rock and pat her. She rejects this from me.