Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
laurangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need sleep help for a 1 year old

I read parts of it, and it really frustrated me! We already have a DETAILED, REGULAR routine. I guess why I got so frustrated is bc she says that most babies will have more than one way that they will fall asleep. Well, Lily doesn't. She can ONLY go to bed if she's breastfeeding. IDK, maybe I should go back and revisit it? I read it back when Lily was 6 months old or so, and waking up 4-7 times a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveprek View Post
The no cry sleep solution by elizabeth pantly is such a lifesaver. She has steps to gently get them to that point, with no tears. My son was waking EVERY HOUR still at like 1 and I did her strategies and slowly but surely it started working. Withing a month or so, he was sttn!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
laurangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's definately worse when she's cutting a tooth, but she only has two teeth still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daisies View Post
Just about every time my DD starts waking several times a night out of the blue, I usually discover she's cutting a tooth. Just a thought.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Olivias Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you thought about cosleeping? Its been a lifesaver for us

YARN DESTASH here
Olivias Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
laurangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We coslept for the first month. I'm a really light sleeper, and I was basically not getting any sleep. I'll sometimes bring her to bed with me when she wakes up in the middle of the night, and she acts like it's a party. She just wants to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivias Momma View Post
Have you thought about cosleeping? Its been a lifesaver for us
Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
cathrynapple
Registered Users

It's ok for dad to pick her up and comfort her...
cathrynapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurangel View Post
I read parts of it, and it really frustrated me! We already have a DETAILED, REGULAR routine. I guess why I got so frustrated is bc she says that most babies will have more than one way that they will fall asleep. Well, Lily doesn't. She can ONLY go to bed if she's breastfeeding. IDK, maybe I should go back and revisit it? I read it back when Lily was 6 months old or so, and waking up 4-7 times a night.
Well, all I really did from it was when Conner was about to fall asleep, I'd remove the nipple. If he freaked out, I put it back in. I'd count to 5 or 10, then take it out again. Sometimes I repeated 90 times, sometimes not at all. Eventually he realized he didn't need to be nursing to fall asleep and would nurse, then lay down and be cuddled as he totally drifted off to sleep. Then, after that, he started sleeping more. Then I started trying water and a pat first, and if that didn't work, milk. Pretty soon he just stopped waking up, or if he did, he'd ask for water. Nursing was the only thing he knew too (as in nursing to sleep)
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #17
laurangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

iOh yeah! The PPO! Hehe - I forgot about that. And 90 times?! I obviously didn't give it a good go then! I'll start giving this a go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveprek View Post
Well, all I really did from it was when Conner was about to fall asleep, I'd remove the nipple. If he freaked out, I put it back in. I'd count to 5 or 10, then take it out again. Sometimes I repeated 90 times, sometimes not at all. Eventually he realized he didn't need to be nursing to fall asleep and would nurse, then lay down and be cuddled as he totally drifted off to sleep. Then, after that, he started sleeping more. Then I started trying water and a pat first, and if that didn't work, milk. Pretty soon he just stopped waking up, or if he did, he'd ask for water. Nursing was the only thing he knew too (as in nursing to sleep)
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #18
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

I don't have to much advice - just that I'm in the exact same boat and I know how you feel. My boy's almost 13 months. He did just recently get worse after getting a little better - I do think that it's teeth related. He has a really really hard time falling back to sleep deep enough to be lied down. Co-sleeping was the same for us. He and I are both really light sleepers. We did it for almost 3 months, but he woke up every 20-40 minutes the whole time - then had to nurse. We were both too exhausted and he's slept in a crib right by the bed since then. We still don't sleep much, but more than the first 3 months!

What we do which has helped limit the nursings at night - and have daddy help more... He's never been good at falling asleep while nursing in bed. He finishes, wakes up and screams or want to play. So we actually have to get up - sit in the rocking chair or walk around for a while. Sometimes a long while BUT - about a month or possibly a little more ago - in the hope it would help him not wake up as often, I started to not nurse him every time he woke up. Instead I pick him up, we usually go downstairs and rock and sing. Doing this has made it so that Daddy can do the same. So - on those night when he's up more a lot we trade off. This has helped me enormously be able to function better. What I do now is try to find the silliest - most entertaining thing I can find on the internet. I put the computer right in front of the rocking chair - and watch it while he wakes up in the middle o the night. It helps me stay awake

Hope it gets better soon. I know SOOO Many who've had really difficult sleepers that do get dramatically better at 18 months to 2 years. Hang in there - for me the key has been getting daddy to help so I'm as healthy as possible. Can't take proper care of the babe if I'm falling over all day!
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #19
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
we did jay gordon's night weaning. But you need a partner on board to help. The thing about night weaning, it doesn't always mean they will STTN. Now at 28 months, ds only wakes once (and can go back to sleep with a little hug and reassurance), but he was every 3 hours until we night weaned at 18 months.
THIS!!

My dd still gets up at least once most nights ( and she is 2!) but all she needs is a quick hug and tucked back in and she is set. I think some lo's are light sleepers and what better way to fall back alseep then Mom's Diner

Good luck!! I so feel your pain.
CarolinaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #20
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

Oh and the No Cry Sleep Solution did nothing but help me further obsess about the sleep I was NOT getting!!! Although I do still have the log book I kept when she was 6/7 months. It is proof that she was a HORRIBLE sleeper. It is going in her baby book, for sure!
CarolinaMama is offline   Reply With Quote