Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any one have positive stories about a broken sac? *Sad update 9.1*

A girl in my higher order multiples group is 24 weeks pregnant with triplets. They admitted her to the hospital b/c they discovered baby A's sac is broken and the baby has virtually no fluid around it:-( They are very concerned about her getting an infection, her going in to extremely premature labor and the risks if they would have to deliver her babies this early.

Any one have any positive stories that I can pass on to her in this very difficult time? And if you could keep her and her little boys in your thoughts I am sure she would greatly appreciate it

update: the babies were just born at 26 weeks....The identical twins were 1LB 12oz. and the third baby was 1LB 10oz.
they are trying to get them stabilized so please keep these babies and their parents in your thoughts please.

just found out one of them has a level 2 brain bleed....any positive stories??

9.1:
baby a passed away yesterday....please please keep this mama and her babies in your thoughts today...the prognosis is uncertain for her other 2 boys as well

Advertisement

Last edited by kristinc; 09-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
MamaStick
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Any one have positive stories about broken sac?

I don't know about multiples, but a good friend of mine had to deliver early, around 24-25 weeks. Her son was so, so tiny. He had a rough time but today he is doing well- walking, talking, and in general good health.

He has some problems common to preemies and considering he was as small as a typical TV remote when he was born...those issues are tiny in comparison to what could have happened.

Humans fight for life from conception and infants are stronger than they appear. I am sorry she is going through this and I wish her the best.
MamaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

momma4of6 had her water break at 17(?) weeks and delivered about 10 weeks later. David is home and doing great
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of my dearest friends had her water break at around 16 weeks. It wasn't just a trickle, it was a gush and she made a puddle on the floor. She leaked more after that as well. She even had some bleeding, and passed some tissue. That was at least 2 months ago. The situation (whatever it was, we still aren't sure) resolved, the baby is fine and she hasn't had any more leakage or bleeding.

Praying for your friend!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
MommaJello
Registered Users

My Mood:

I work as an RN and see this quite often, and most of the time, things turn out OK. She may deliver early, but thank heavens for the technology we have nowadays to care for the little ones. My thoughts and prayers are with her!
I don't know any history about her, but encourage her to do everything she can to protect those babies! Do what she's encouraged in the hospital, no smoking, eat right so she stays healthy, encourage any visitors to wash, wash, wash those hands so she doesn't get ill, that kind of thing!
MommaJello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
momma4of6 had her water break at 17(?) weeks and delivered about 10 weeks later. David is home and doing great
oh yeah...i remember reading her and her sons story hmmm....off to find links
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #7
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any one have positive stories about a broken sac?

i guess i would say she should do her very best to stay hydrated/overly hydrated since amniotic fluid replenishes itself constantly...and perhaps the sac will heal itself as can happen.

here's hoping she will get some much needed time to grow those babies.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From personal experience, all I can say is that my egg donor twins (born via a surro) were born at 25w1d and though they spent many months in the nicu and were TINY and had typical micropreemie issues, they are now 3yo and super healthy with no health concerns! so there is hope even if she delivers soon.

From hearsay and my limited medical background, I know that PROM is not always cause for delivery. If they can keep her pregnant (by stopping labor if it has started, though you didn't mention if the rupture caused contractions to begin or just loss of fluid) and prevent infection, she may be able to continue on for quite some time - though I imagine on bedrest.. (if she weren't already)

The more she stays hydrated (oral or iv), the better the amniotic fluid can replenish itself.

Avoid all internal exams (even with gloves), to help prevent/delay any possibility of infection which could cause the need for delivery. Same for baths (showers are ok).
Nothing in the vagina whatsoever.

Sorry I cannot be of more help/info but I will keep her and her babies in my thoughts. Hopefully she will be able to remain pregnant, without infection, and well hydrated.. For several more weeks at least! If not, I hope her babies all are healthy and do as well as possible.

Last edited by LilOutlaws; 08-12-2010 at 02:02 AM.
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
mandyhoward
Registered Users

My water broke at 20 weeks (gush, not a trickle) and my ds was born at 30 weeks. His lungs had a hard time at first, but once they got going they did great. He's a big guy about to go to Kindy now.

Tell her to check out http://www.kanalen.org/prom for lots of stories about pPROM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I worked with a family and the moms water broke at 19 weeks. She was not giving up and keep him in until 30 weeks. He is a healthy 3 yo. He had medical issues the first 18 months but is fine. She stayed at home on bedrest and did all measures she could to prevent baby from coming to early. I will be praying for your friend.