Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What are you teaching your child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Thank you for your replies, ladies. This was actually suggested to me as a solution to the amount of work DS1 is required to do in lieu of an IEP that would reduce the amount of work he is assigned. Apparently an IEP is some sort of evil buggaboo that labels you for life and cripples your ability to function as a person. I had to end the conversation after that as I thought I might lose it.
If that's what they're telling you, it's not for your sake. School districts and principals (and some teachers) HATE IEPs b/c it means they HAVE to make accommodations for you child. That generally costs money/time and it LEGALLY enforceable (you can take action if they don't follow the iep). I was a teacher and my DH still is. Our district would do just about ANYTHING to keep a child from getting on an IEP. It drove me CRAZY. I don't know your situation and I don't know if your child needs an IEP, but if the school district told you that, I would ignore it. They are looking out for themselves, not your child.

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I don't subscribe to the idea that kids should be doing homework during family time anyway, so I have a fundamental problem with it entirely. Having said that, I don't do things that my kids can do for themselves.

Love music, need trumpet???
Look here: http://stores.ebay.com/Kalamazoo-Brass
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
If that's what they're telling you, it's not for your sake. School districts and principals (and some teachers) HATE IEPs b/c it means they HAVE to make accommodations for you child. That generally costs money/time and it LEGALLY enforceable (you can take action if they don't follow the iep). I was a teacher and my DH still is. Our district would do just about ANYTHING to keep a child from getting on an IEP. It drove me CRAZY. I don't know your situation and I don't know if your child needs an IEP, but if the school district told you that, I would ignore it. They are looking out for themselves, not your child.
That would make a lot of sense. I fought for over a year with one school district to get my son a 504/IEP, and they refused to test him. It wasn't until I told them I would pull him and homeschool him that they finally sent me the paperwork to BEGIN the process (after a year of insisting that he needed it). They didn't want to do the IEP, but they didn't want to lose the funding either. Their brilliant solution was for me to homeschool him on their curriculum and report back to them. Brilliant for them; they get to keep the money and I do all the work. No thank you. We homeschool now as well.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Legally, from the date you verbally request testing, they have 60 days. So if they are violating it, they need to be reported to the state DOE! They also have to provide you with the laws for special education and the procedures and safeguards when the process is started so you know your rights.

My local school district was just charged and fined for not providing procedures and safeguards packets (it is about a 1cm thick document here in Indiana) to families. If I wasn't a teacher, I wouldn't have even known I was supposed to get it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Legally, from the date you verbally request testing, they have 60 days. So if they are violating it, they need to be reported to the state DOE! They also have to provide you with the laws for special education and the procedures and safeguards when the process is started so you know your rights.

My local school district was just charged and fined for not providing procedures and safeguards packets (it is about a 1cm thick document here in Indiana) to families. If I wasn't a teacher, I wouldn't have even known I was supposed to get it.
In CA, you have to request it in writing OR you have to verbally threaten to sue if they don't test your kid. Even in writing, you have to explicitly state "I want my child, (name), to be tested for special education services". If you state it in a wishy-washy way (ex "I'm not sure why my kid isn't doing well and I'd like you to find out why"), they won't test the kid. They try everything they can to get out of that IEP.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #16
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Melissa: Sorry you are having to go through this. If you feel that your child needs an IEP I hope you are able to get it for him. Your child deserves the right to a positive learning environment that meets his unique needs. Good luck, thinking of you.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post

I was in the office at least three times a week for a year trying to educate them on Asperger's. I was specifically highlighting the points that he needed help with (such as the organizational components, heirachy of power, etc.) Many times I stated plainy that he needed accommodations.

I apologize for highjacking the thread...but when I pulled him out it was because we had missed the first few days of school for a funeral. When he started school, there were immediate problems because he was in the 7th grade with all new teachers and a new set of rules that he did not receive (having not been to the first day of school). Long story short, every time there was an incident, they sent him home...indefinitely. After two months, he had only been at school for a sum total of about 3-4 days. Every time they sent him home they would "call me when they figured out what to do with him", then I wouldn't hear from them for weeks. I finally started being a pain, asking them what their plan was. They had none. After hounding them about not meeting his needs, I finally told them that I was going to homeschool him. The principal told me, flat out, that I was not allowed to because "he has to meet benchmarks". I demanded to know how she thinks he was being taught anything by them since he was home with me all of the time. He was already home with me, so I was going to assume his education. I assured her that, in the state of Michigan, I absolutely DO have the right to homeschool my children.

That's when they brought on the brilliant idea of me homeschooling with their curriculum but reporting back to them. They get the money, I do the work and have to bow to them. No way. Then I get a phone call one day to "stop by and sign some paperwork". I refused to sign anything until they provided the paperwork for me to review IN ADVANCE. The paperwork was the initiation paperwork for the IEP review a full year after I told them it was needed and only AFTER I told them I was pulling him from the district. There was no explanation about the process, no discussion, no nothing. Just "come in and sign some papers". I was beyond miffed at this point. I made it very clear that there was NO information given to me and I was not going to blindly sign the papers. I had absolutely no say in the process.

The entire process was ridiculous. They must have thought I was a moron or something. Special education in that school definitely was not special.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

For the original question, it would be teaching kids that someone else will do their work for them. That they don't have to do what they are supposed to do, etc. (Actually, that sounds like the boss and isn't that pretty much what all of us want to be when we grow up? )

As for my opinions, I see no reason why kids should have to bring much if any work home if they finished what was required of them in school. And I thoroughly object to busy work and have no problem letting my children know that this is just busy work. However, busy work is part of the job sometimes out there in the real world, and it must be done and done correctly, so I make sure my children do all their own homework and that it is done neatly and correctly, whether it is busy work or not and whether it is excessive or not.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
crazykerry
Registered Users

As a teacher, I do not assign homework. However, anything that you as the student did not finish in class, it is expected to be done at home. Now with that being said, if 90% of the class didn't finish it in class, then I as the teacher did not give them enough time and it is not homework. If only a few (usually those who have issues with talking) did not get it done, then it is expected to be done for homework.
The rule in my board is that students should expect 10 minutes of homework per grade. I.E. grade 1 = 10 minutes, grade 2 = 20 minutes, etc. This homework usually comes in the area of reading or writing.
crazykerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #20
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well to answer ops question I think you are teaching the child that homework is useless cr*p and I stand by that lesson
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote