Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tae Kwon Do or other Martial Arts for Kids?

My DS is starting kindergarten in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide what to do for before/after school care. He's been in the same licensed in home daycare for about 3 years, but it's not near enough to our elementary school so it's time for a change.

There is a Tae Kwon Do school that has a before/after school program for around the same cost as a traditional daycare center. They have an hour class before school, provide transportation (just a few blocks) and then after school provide a snack, some free time and then another class. I spoke to them on the phone today for quite a while and it sounds like a great program with A LOT more structure than my little guy is used to, but it sounds like it would be really good for him. They do a lot of fun activities, but all of it is focused around Tae Kwon Do and the discipline of it.

Any thoughts on starting kids in martial arts this young? What about a program like this that has 2 daily classes? Any experiences?

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: Tae Kwon Do or other Martial Arts for Kids?

I started Tae Kwon Do when I was 5. I strongly recommend it. It'll teach discipline, self-control and respect. Your DS will also get some great exercise and self-defense is always something good to learn.

I never did a program like yours- my mom always just drove me to the children's class.

Martial Arts is a great family activity if the rest of your family is interested.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

That sounds really cool...I think the worst thing that can happen is that it just isn't a good fit for your son and/or family and you end up having to find another option. I don't think its too young to start though, DS is 4 and he's starting martial arts here in the next month or two.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds great to me. The biggest concern would be how much pressure there is in this class, and what they are teaching. If they are focusing on the discipline of Taekwondo or just the physical activity of it. We just enrolled Kearnan in Taekwondo when he was 8.5 and it is amazing. I had a hard time finding a good dojo though. Most I found were like Winkids. They focus on learning martial arts as a sport vs a discipline and I was not just wanting him to learn how to do the motions, I wanted him to learn the principles of martial arts. I love this dojo, the instructors are amazing. They do not take kids under 5 or Tharen would already be enrolled. He will start right around his 5th birthday, I may or may not start at the same time since it will cost the same (family plan). Dh started when Kearnan did. There are quite a few kids in their dojo who have been participating since they were 5-6 and are in the higher belts now. They go 4 days a week right now for an hour each day since it is a class not a care program. Dh will sometimes stay for up to 2 hours per day though they can do a full 3 hours 5 days a week if they choose. I don't think Kearnan could manage a full 2hour class let alone 3hours, but he is also ASD. Like the PP I say give it a try. At worst he won't be in to it or it won't be what you are looking for and you will have to find a different program, but it sounds really great.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote