Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What age did your lo's stop napping?

My 22 month old is making me crazy. On average she wakes up around 8:00am. If she takes a nap it is usually around 1:00 until 3:00. But if she naps then I cant get her to go to bed at night until about 10:00pm. By then I am ready for bed too and dont get to get anything done in the evening or spend any time alone with DH. If she skips her nap (some days she wont go to sleep and some days we are out and get home to late for a nap) then she will go to sleep around 8:30. Today I thought well maybe if I get her up in the morning a little earlier I can bump up her nap and bedtime. Well that backfired. I got her up a little before 7am, she took her nap from 12:00 to 3:00. So instead of a 2 hour nap it was a 3 hour nap. I tried waking her from 2 until 3. DD1 and I were being loud, I kept the bedroom door open so she could hear us playing. I had to pick her up and walk around and sit in front of the tv to get her to wake up. So this evening she did not go to bed until 11:00. Anyone else working against their lo's schedule? I usually dont schedule my kids like this but her schedule is making things hard. But, I can't imagine a barely 2 yr old not napping. At what age did your lo stop napping? DD1 stopped right around 3 yrs old. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Last edited by CarrieAnn0413; 08-13-2010 at 10:39 PM.
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: What age did your lo's stop napping?

Ds was 13months, and stopped napping except once in a while on a longer car ride. But by 2yrs he wouldnt even nap in the car. From 12months - 2.5 he slept around 12 hours a day and at 3yrs he sleeps around 10 hours a night, through the night and no naps.

And he is constantly going going going all day long.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
Ds was 13months, and stopped napping except once in a while on a longer car ride. But by 2yrs he wouldnt even nap in the car. From 12months - 2.5 he slept around 12 hours a day and at 3yrs he sleeps around 10 hours a night, through the night and no naps.

And he is constantly going going going all day long.
Wow 13 months. Thanks for sharing. I have never known a lo who stopped napping before 3 yrs so I thought I was wrong to not try and get her to nap most days. I guess every child is different. So I believe it is recommended at this age that they get 12 hours total. I may try and skip the nap (maybe replace it with some quiet story time with DD1 too) and put her to bed a little earlier at night to try and get around 12 hours. I have been hesitant to try that because when she was younger and didn't nap I tried putting her to bed earlier and she would wake up 2 hours later (7-9pm) as if it was a nap and be wide awake and ready to play until at least midnight. I guess I won't know how she'll do now if I don't try it out. Thanks again.

Anyone else have a young "no-napper"?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd was 5 and my ds was 21 months. I wish he would have made it to 5 as well but no such luck.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Right around the time she turned 2. She rarely naps now, doesn't really get cranky or anything before it's bedtime. One day she just became impossible to get to sleep at naptime, and then she started going to bed at 8 and sleeping for 12+ hours, so that's what we've been doing ever since.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD stopped around 2 unless she was in the car or you literally held her down in her bed.

We do a quiet time every afternoon, though. Either we put on a movie, or she goes in her room with the gate up and plays quietly for 2 hours.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 12 and 9 year olds nap on weekends if we let them LOL and my 2 1/2 year old still naps everyday- she wakes in the morning around 7:30 and naps around lunch time for 2 hours and is in bed at 8 everynight. I wish I could sleep as much as her.
amanda_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I was done with naps by the time I was 18 months old. None of my kids have been done that early, but one was done with regular naps at 2, one at 5, and one is 3 and is just screwy. DH deployed and before he deployed she was working her way out of naps, but now the kids and I are at the in-law's house she is back to napping pretty much every day for a variety of reasons.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine nap on a consistent basis until they are between 4-5 years old. My oldest is 6 1/2 and she occassionally still takes a nap.....maybe once a week. Depending on how active/busy we are I know their body needs the extra rest.

Mine take 2 naps a day until about 16-18 months and then drop down to 1 nap a day.

My 4 1/2 year old still naps and will until she goes to K next fall.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
Ds was 13months, and stopped napping except once in a while on a longer car ride.
WOW! All of mine still take 2 naps a day at 13 months, lol.....and sleep 10-12 hours at night!