Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Age for First Words?

At what age did your LOs say their first word and understand what they were saying?

My 6 1/2 month for the last few days has been saying "mama" and "bubba." At first I didn't know if she for sure was saying it, but she for sure can say it especially mama. We were in the car driving home from New Jersey and she was crying because she hates the car and she was sobbing going "mama mama" and then would keep crying. My DH was like I think she wants you.. I just can't believe that she is saying it and knows what it means Isn't that slightly too young for that? My mom thinks that she is just putting sounds together but sometimes as I said it baffles me when she will say mama and put her arms up to me lately and then when she sees her bottle she says bubba?

Could she actually understand what she is saying?!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Age for First Words?

that sounds about right for the first few words- my first and 3rd talked and walked early like that- my middle one was on her own schedule and we begged her to talk forever- now we beg her to shut up- she knows- especially if you are referred to as mama- it makes sense.
amanda_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
mrdhollins
Registered Users
Formerly: snowbabymama
seller

My Mood:

my DD is about a month older than yours and at about 6 months she started saying "Hi!" whenever someone new walked into the room. The folks at daycare thought it was hysterical. She would say it and raise her hand in the air, EVERY TIME...

Then about 2 weeks after that started, she started saying Da-Da and reaching for my DH. Or, if he wasn't in the room, she would say Da-Da? and hold up her hands in a questioning fashion.

Finally, earlier this week, I was holding her and she (hand to God) said: I loovooo (I love you) and then kissed me on the lips. Which is exactly what I do to her a few times each day. I called my mom and was like, could this be real? She said that she didn't doubt it since she's been so verbal (babbling) since she was less than 3 months.

So, I absolutely think your LO is smart like mine!

Last edited by mrdhollins; 08-14-2010 at 09:49 AM.
mrdhollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Zandersmommy09
Registered Users
seller

Zander has been saying words since a little over 6m and he is now putting 2words togeter started it at 8 months
Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hope she knows what she is saying it was so exciting to hear her say it.. we were all surprised
Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Henry has always had a lot to say. He could say a handful of clear, recognizable words by 8 months, and he was talking in complete sentences by the time his first birthday rolled around.

Not something I ever advertise, because it sounds too much like bragging, but yeah... that was normal for my kid. He's 3.5 now, and still has a LOT to say. He's just a talker. And, a grammatically correct one at that.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
At what age did your LOs say their first word and understand what they were saying?
DD was about 5 1/2-6 months when she started saying "buppa," which is what she called my ex's dad. She was about 7-7 1/2 months when she started saying "mama." "Baby and Bye" followed almost immediately after.

I remember at her 9 month check up (which was around 8 1/2 months, really), she was staring into a mirror while we were talking to the pediatrician and she said "hi, baby" and kissed the mirror.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote