View Poll Results: Bringing lunch from home for a 6th grader
Get a plain lunchbox and an ice pack 17 73.91%
Just brown bag it, he can throw it all away 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Holy lunch spending Batman!

I would ask him what the other kids do.

At the school I teach at, a lunch box would get you made fun of. We are an 80% free lunch school and yesterday, I only saw 2 kids with home packed lunches. Your school may be different, but at the middle school I teach at, the kids also aren't allowed to go to their lockers before lunch. So the kid would have to carry the lunch around for 2 periods before lunch.

But I would definitely put him on a $2 a day limit. I would personally hand him $2 instead of putting it on his account so there is no question how much he is spending.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

His locker is on the other side of the school, so it wouldn't be feasible for him to go back to his locker. He'd have to grab his lunch after 4th hour, leave it in the locker room while he's at PE, and then go to lunch from there. I'll have to double check exactly how his schedule is; they go to lunch with their 5th hour, but that could be before 5th hour starts, during 5th, or just at the end of 5th . We are very likely to end up with free lunches, but even then, I'm not crazy about him eating so much junk just because it's there and available.

I'm sure he'll get some comments and I'm certainly not trying to ostracize him, but I also can't stand over his shoulder while he's at school and make sure he's making fairly healthy choices (a large muffin AND two cookies, on top of lunch? Not healthy). So hopefully, once he gets over the initial mild embarrassment of bringing lunch, bringing things that he really likes to eat and having the occasional option of eating the school's option will balance out.

He's the class-clown with an intellectual alter-ego type student; he's going to be well known at school eventually
Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Middle school where I live is 5th and 6th grade. I homeschooled my daughter for 5th grade then decided to put her in public school for 6th grade. I wanted to buy her a reusable lunch bag but was worried about her being made fun of if it wasn't a brown paper sack (like what I used to take to school.) It's such a fine line, you know? I wanted to teach her to be proud of her choices but at the same time not wanting to ostracize her in school. Anyway, it turned out that of the kids who bring their lunch from home, they were using an un-obvious (made up word, lol!) reusable lunch bag. And even now in the 8th grade in jr. high, it's still the same way. Yay for somewhat crunchy NW Arkansas!

Last edited by Psychomom; 08-15-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

My little sisters are going in to 7th grade and 4th grade and bring their own lunch every day. They each have a soft lunchbox and it holds a water bottle and a few small containers of food. Plenty for them to feel full enough. But their school does not offer lunch like that. They just choose from a menu, there are no extras. They don't really like school food, so they always bring their own.

I think you should pop in at lunch sometime, or ask his teacher what would be a good option as far as lunchbox vs. bag (though I would get a reusable one). You could put a small "treat" in his lunchbox every other day or so if you wanted, and I highly doubt the kids would pick on him. Lots of kids don't like school lunches.