Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

How many kids is "too many?"

I was reading an article on Nadya Suleman and the writer was pondering when she crossed the line with the number of children she tried to have. I have always had the mentality that you can have as many as you want as long as I don't have to support them. As long as they are all loved and being taken care of physically and emotionally, I don't judge.

But I was kind of surprised at the comments on the article. An overwhelming amount of people said that more than 2 is too many, and is socially and environmentally irresponsible. The reasoning was that the world is overpopulated and to achieve zero population growth, no one should have more than 2. My thought was that a lot of people have none, or have only one, so I am so terrible that I want 3?

AND, there are a lot of people that I wish wouldn't breed at all, so the world needs people like us to balance out the population.

I know that most of the people on this board are environmentally conscious, and also a lot of people that have several children. Do you consider the environmental impact when you plan your family? How many is too many?

Advertisement

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Whoamama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How many kids is "too many?"

I not an eviromentaly concious person *bag over head* but 3 is that number in my head thats enough for us....working on #3...when #3 gets to be 3..then Ill know if Im done
Whoamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a very personal decision. Some parents can barely handle 1, while others can take on a dozen.

My biggest issue with "octo-mom" is the whole 8 at once thing. People are not meant to have litters, and (IMO) she did a stupid thing risking her health and the health of her babes.

People comment all the time on how big a family we have, and we just have 4 - which to me isn't that large at all...

ETA: From the environmental aspect, I think that depends on your family's lifestyle more often than how many kids you have. Have you seen that show "Wasted"? DH was watching it the other day - and the people only had 2 or 3 kids and had a HUGE footprint - much larger I'm sure than some of the crunchier DS moms with 8 kids...
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.

Last edited by nrsenadenos; 06-21-2010 at 07:38 AM.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

this is hard for me. i really admire and support large families. BUT the environmental part of me has to take a pause and wonder if that's responsible. I personally feel that my 3 are all I can handle. A 4th or 5th child thrown into the mix in our 900sqft 2bedroom house is overwhelming and loud and really throws off the peaceful balance of our home. And I've felt since I got pregnant with the youngest(now 2 1/2) that she was the last. I've never wavered. 3 feels right. I don't know what's environmentally responsible and I don't think it would be fair of me to inflict upon other families my opinion. I do know that personally 3 feels right and feels sustainable . I don't think my opinion really matters much to your ovaries or someone else's.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree with you - as long as you can support them and theyre all loved then go at it and have as many as you please. but overpopulation/environmental issues dont really go into play for me, i think when people start to bash others for overpopulation its just crossing the line and way over the top, but thats just my opinion.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
I think it's a very personal decision. Some parents can barely handle 1, while others can take on a dozen.

My biggest issue with "octo-mom" is the whole 8 at once thing. People are not meant to have litters, and (IMO) she did a stupid thing risking her health and the health of her babes.

People comment all the time on how big a family we have, and we just have 4 - which to me isn't that large at all...

ETA: From the environmental aspect, I think that depends on your family's lifestyle more often than how many kids you have. Have you seen that show "Wasted"? DH was watching it the other day - and the people only had 2 or 3 kids and had a HUGE footprint - much larger I'm sure than some of the crunchier DS moms with 8 kids...
I agree with this. I think that some people with 1 kid can be extremely wasteful and teach those same habits to their child, whereas someone with several kids can teach about recycling, saving energy and using CLOTH, and leave less of a carbon footprint.

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I"m in the camp of "The most kids you should have is what you can afford to care for financially, physically and emotionally"

For us, that number is 2, with DSD there will be 3 kids. As for the zero growth...eh, there's a lot of people who never have kids. I don't get hung up on that as much.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

i think that's totally right in that some people with 1 or 2 kids can leave a massive carbon footprint and be "wasteful" iwth resources and some with 10 can be much smaller. But just for the sake of debate, what about food and oter overpopulation issues? Part of the reason(from what I understand it) we have all these factory farms is because of the massive amt of people overburdening our planet. Smaller scale farmers just cannot provide enough to feed us all. So even if a large family with a small personal carbon footprint eats locally, they still contribute to the need for factory farms and take up space on our planet. So is that still responsible and okay? I don't have an opinion, I'm just asking a question because I want to see certain people's responses to this. I think it'll be an interesting debate. I am not that well-versed on this subject so I just have personal opinions and no facts.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
2boysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do think about how the number of children I have or want to have effects the rest of the planet. I have 3 which some may argue is 1 to many, but #3 was a totally unplanned surprise and we didn't get a say so . Plus my brother does not and will not have any kids, so he said I could have 1 of his.
I just think about places like China that are horribly over poplulated, and think that if the United States ever got like that I would be miserable. I don't know how they do it.

I do however feel like we are still at a point were people can comfortably have bigger families, but at some point that's going to change. Thankfully not in my lifetime. So for now, if you can support them financially and love and care for them like you should... go for it.
2boysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think, within reason, the "have as many as you can care for" argument stands. There does come a point where it's just irresponsible from an environmental standpoint. The Duggars completely disgust me. They practically need their own landfill just for all the disposable diapers they've used on their nearly 20 children, not to mention the fact that they drive around in a bus, eat cheap crap from factory farms, and don't appear to recycle (have you ever seen a recycling bin anywhere near their house?). Living like that is incredibly irresponsible, especially if you have tons of kids.

At the same time, I can definitely see how a family with 8 kids, who lives on an organic farm (therefore, growing a lot of their own food), uses cloth diapers, recycles, composts, and all that, may be a lot better for the environment than the family in which mommy of two thinks she needs a gas guzzling SUV just because she has a couple kids, who are laden down with plastic crap toys, and of course, churning Huggies out into the landfill like it's their God-Given purpose.

I don't think 2 kids is the magic number for zero population growth. I think there is plenty of room for many within our society to have 3. This is, of course, for the obvious reasons of a lot of people choosing to have one or none. I think anyone who has 3 kids can think of someone in their family who had none, who they're balancing out, in theory. In our family, it's my husband's oldest brother, who will not have biological children (he's gay). Middle bro has 3 kids, we have 2, so if we have a 3rd, we've only balanced out oldest bro's non-reproduction. I think 3 seems sustainable for a lot of people. More than that? Probably not, generally speaking.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote