Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just curious - solids

Both our pediatricians (previously in California and now in Arkansas) have said to start 4-6 months. We started both our kids with cereal at 5 months.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaAnn View Post
I started my DD on rice cereal at 3 1/2 months and veggie jars at 4 month. Will do the next with this baby. My pedi told me not til 6 months, but I honestly really didn't care what she thougth lol She is now 18 months old, eats great, is healthy, no allergies, and is a smart, active little thing.
3 1/2 mo is WAY to young!!! Your ped is right on this one! The reason they say not to start is because the earlier you start the higher the risk of your LO developing food allergies to soooo many things! Their digestive system is still not developed at 3 1/2 mo old.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsatia23 View Post
Both our pediatricians (previously in California and now in Arkansas) have said to start 4-6 months. We started both our kids with cereal at 5 months.

We started ODS at 5 mo too and YDS we started at 7-ish. YDS was a different baby. ODS was grabbing food off my plate at 5mo old!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
MelissaAnn
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=Crew&West;11006328]3 1/2 mo is WAY to young!!! Your ped is right on this one! The reason they say not to start is because the earlier you start the higher the risk of your LO developing food allergies to soooo many things! Their digestive system is still not developed at 3 1/2 mo old.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp

Sorry I don't like Dr. Sears and won't read anything about him, so thanks for the link but I don't care what it says. I don't really care who thinks 3 1/2 months is too young. My daughter is fine, so if you don't want to start your kid until 6 months or later, that's fine. But my next baby will start just as early as well. She has absolutely NO digestive issues, NEVER once spit up as a baby, HAS NEVER been sick, is not allergic to anything, and is thriving.
MelissaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Out of curiosity, MelissaAnn, where did you get the idea that she should eat solids so early? We know it's not from her doctor since you said that you ignored his advice.

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Since I asked, I suppose I should say what I did.

We started on the dot of 6 months with my first. Fed him rice cereal and he had no interest in it. Still had a bit of a gag reflex, so we tried intermittently and then after about a month, I stopped trying the cereals and switched to avacado that I mashed up fresh. From that point we worked our way through the veggies and fruits giving them to him fresh or steamed and mashed with a little bit of breastmilk or the cooking water.

Our 2nd, we started a week or so before 6 months - he was one big hungry curious kid and gave many more signs of readiness than DS#1. We started him with avacado and never did the whole cereal thing.

DD started closer to 7 months - she showed no signs of interest and it was a lot easier to wait. And, her first food was also avacado and we did the same as with the boys and worked our way through the veggies and fruits and then eventually moved onto meats and grains.

I did recently read a study that delaying potential allergens may actually increase the incidence of allergies (as in don't wait until 3 to give peanut butter and strawberries, etc.). But, I don't recall it recommending starting solids any younger.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that under 1 is still early enough to avoid potential allergens. But I could see waiting until 3 or 4 being something that could increase allergies to something like strawberries or PB.

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DD we waited until 6 months. She wants nothing to do with purees, so we skipped that, and she gets 'our' food. She's 7 months and still just dabbles; no set meals.

From my perspective on the new research that delaying allergens could lead to allergens.. that's not saying to start solids EARLIER than the recommended age.. just not to wait until after a year old to introduce allergens. Common sense, eh?

& IMO saying "I started my child on solids at x age and she's just fine" is equivalent to saying "I didn't ride in a car seat when I was a baby and I'm just fine".

Research shows that a child's digestive system is NOT ready for solids before 4-6 months. Ignoring the facts just because so & so did so and turned out okay is pretty irresponsible, IMO. & just because my parents did so and I'm okay doesn't fly, either. Our generation, and our parents', as a whole, is ridiculously unhealthy. Obesity, diabetes, allergies, etc.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
pcjs
Registered Users

We were told 4 months was fine by our ped GI but our son was ready..(we have a reflux baby too)... at 11 months he's a good/happy eater. I think it depends on the parents and the baby... some parents are ready, some aren't... some babies are ready... some aren't.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
isaacsmum
Registered Users

As far as I know, the official AAP recommendations say generally to start between 4 and 6 months, though their recommendations on breastfeeding say exclusive bf until 6 months is recommended. So I'd guess that means the recommendation may be different if you're doing formula vs breastmilk, and that there is a lot of room for interpretation. At his 4 month appt, DS's ped said we could start rice cereal if we wanted to, but that there was no benefit and she'd rather see us wait.

We held off on solids until after he was 6 months. I'd say we did BLW - gave finger foods and followed cues, but the truth is that DS was showing the 'standard' signs of being ready for solids before 6 months - i.e. sitting unsupported, no tongue thrust, interest in food, pincer grasp. We waited anyway, and skipped the cereal and purees when he did start solids. I felt that exclusive bf for the first 6 months was more important.

Last edited by isaacsmum; 08-18-2010 at 11:33 AM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
(as in don't wait until 3 to give peanut butter and strawberries, etc.)
Apparently I didn't get the memo that strawberries were as bad as peanuts... my 8 m/o has been eating them for months! :-)
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote