Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dh agreed not to circ, but says

Dh agreed not to circ our son, but says that if he wants to be circed when he's older, he will take him to have it done immediately. Do you mamas think this is anything to worry about? I kind of hope dh just forgets about it after years of not seeing ds naked, and what teenager wants a part of his penis cut off?

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dh agreed not to circ, but says

I highly doubt any teenage boy wants a piece of his penis cut off, so it's not something I think you'll have to worry about. DH and I agree that once our son is of legal adult age to make his own medical choices, if he wants to be circumcised, he can go right ahead. However, as it is a cosmetic procedure without specific medical need, we won't use our insurance (if he's still covered) for it, just as we wouldn't let an 18 year old daughter get a boob job on our insurance. If our kids want to make cosmetic surgery a part of their lives, they can do it when they're both of legal age to make the choice and of financial stability to pay for it.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually been thinking about this. If my ds came to me when he was a boy or young teen and said he wanted to be circumcised I would arm him with all the research I have about the foreskins functions and the myths associated with being intact. I would ask why he feels that way and address that. I wouldn't consent for the procedure if he was under age because I would not let peer pressure cause such a permanent alteration that will affect his future sex life. I would hope I can help him not feel embarrased by it.

I don't think this will come up and I don't think this locker room talk goes on very often but if it did I wouldn't want to have him want to alter himself to fit in. I would have a problem with my dh bringing him the first sign he says anything. I doubt it would come up but you never know. When he is an adult he free to do what he wants but I want him to know what exactly he doing. I can't imagine him wanting to cut off the part of his penis with the most nerve endings.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
AmandaR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well isn't it his (your son) choice?? I'm not sure if this is going to come across in a rude way (I certainly don't mean it that way) but isn't the entire argument against circ that it's your son's body, so NOT YOUR decision?
Find Me On Facebook and Twitter
AmandaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

My opinion is "his body, his choice". If I have a son and he decides he wants to be circ'd, I'm fine with that. I would make sure that he had proper information, was making an informed decision, and was over the age of 18. After that, he is free to choose circumcision, or any other cosmetic surgery. Personally, I'm against circing newborns not because I think circumcision is inherently evil, but because I feel it is a choice that must be left to the owner of the anatomy in question.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the chances of him wanting to have it done, no matter how he feels about not being circ'ed, are slim. I have a family member who is insisting that his baby boys be circumcised because he isn't and he has always felt self-conscious about it. But still, as strongly as he feels, he's never gone out and had it done to himself. I'm trying to stay out of the conversation with them since I don't have (and wont be having) any boys. This guy's dad is a pediatrician and told him straight up "There's no point to circumcision. Doctors just do it to get your money." It's kind of bugging me that he is willing to ignore that advice over something that clearly doesn't matter that much.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Fusion
Registered Users

My Mood:

My brothers were not circed and my parents always told them that if they wanted it done then they would pay for it. My little brother came to my mom as a teenager and talked about it with her some more and she reiterated that and told him she would fully support him on whatever decision he made. He went and talked to his girlfriend about it (now his wife) and never came back to ask to have it done. I will be raising my son(s) that way as well. His body, his choice, but if he chooses to be circed later, I would not shame him for it.

Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
His body, his choice, but if he chooses to be circed later, I would not shame him for it.
Yeah, exactly.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never shame my child for circing, and I do believe it is his choice, but I don't approve of elective cosmetic surgery chosen by a 13yo (procedures to correct cosmetic problems aside). My cousin had a lovely nose but her parents let her get a nose job at 14. I found that problematic. I guess I'm just concerned dh would not consider discussing with our son his options and the reasons he wasn't circed and just take him for surgery. I just wanted to hear what others have experienced with their reluctantly agreeing husbands.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Once he is 18 he can cut, pierce, tattoo or alter whatever he wants, but before that all discussions will be theoretical.
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote