Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Snacks for DS who has allergies for preschool

My DS starts preschool in a few weeks now, and with his allergies I need to send his own snacks along. They drink milk with their snack too, so I have to send along his rice milk too. Do I send a big jug or small boxes or just a thermos daily?

My biggest issue though is that I need to figure out what kinds of stuff to send in. I want them to have a variety of choices in the classroom for him, so they can pick something for him that is similar to what the other kids are eating. I don't want him to feel left out or picked on at all. What kinds of stuff should I send? Any ideas? He can have a little bit of dairy, but we really try to avoid anymore than a small bit of soy, since he gets quite ill from it.

Also I need to figure out sweets and treats to send for when they hand out suckers, candy bars, and etc. on holidays. Especially like Halloween and etc. which aer coming up soon.

Help! I am new to this, so any advice I can get would be great.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Snacks for DS who has allergies for preschool

I don't know about how to send the milk or what snacks would be good - just letting you know that our daycare has a menu that cycles through every 8 weeks.

You could probably call them and see if they have a menu/schedule so that you can plan "non-allergen" alternatives to what everyone else is having.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is dairy and soy the extent of his allergies?
I make most of my snacks so I can keep track of the ingredients, so I'm not sure if store-bought snacks would be similar or not, but these are just ideas

Crackers (graham, Ritz-type, cheddar bunnies/goldfish)
Nuts (almonds, peanuts, cashews)
Granola (I make a crockpot PB and choc. chip that is good)
Coconut yogurt (yummy, but pricey)
Dried fruit (raisins, craisins, apples, pineapple, banana chips)
Freeze-dried fruit (mango, strawberry, blueberry, banana, apple, peach, pear)
Fresh fruit/veggies (but these would probably have to be sent in on the particular day)
Pretzels/baked chips

I also have snacks on the weekly menu posts on my blog (not all would work, but it might give you some extra ideas).
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
RobynJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What are his allergies? Me and DS are in the same situation. I am going to try and mirror their normal snacks as closely as possible.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Is dairy and soy the extent of his allergies?
I make most of my snacks so I can keep track of the ingredients, so I'm not sure if store-bought snacks would be similar or not, but these are just ideas

Crackers (graham, Ritz-type, cheddar bunnies/goldfish)
Nuts (almonds, peanuts, cashews)
Granola (I make a crockpot PB and choc. chip that is good)
Coconut yogurt (yummy, but pricey)
Dried fruit (raisins, craisins, apples, pineapple, banana chips)
Freeze-dried fruit (mango, strawberry, blueberry, banana, apple, peach, pear)
Fresh fruit/veggies (but these would probably have to be sent in on the particular day)
Pretzels/baked chips

I also have snacks on the weekly menu posts on my blog (not all would work, but it might give you some extra ideas).
You make youyr own Ritz-type and cheddar goldfish-type crackers? I'd love a recipe if you're willing!

And to the OP, DD is also in the same boat and we've tried it every which way... one childcare provider was willing to cook and accomodate her allergies (DD loved having the same thing as the others), one place I just sent whatever I wanted from home regardless of what the others were having (DD loved having something special from home) and, for a bit, I tried to send something like what the others were having but that was safe for her (this was DDs least fave since it was never exactly the same). Just try and see what works for your family.
As for holidays, DD and I alwas bake some special cookies or cupcakes together to share and make or buy something little to pass out (ie made mini I-spy bags once, bought stickers once...). Her childcare providers have always gotten her some cute little non-food treats to have and have just passed out their giveaways at the end of the day so as to not draw attention to the fact that the others were getting somethibg different.
Sorry for typos, nak.
Koolio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolio11 View Post
You make youyr own Ritz-type and cheddar goldfish-type crackers? I'd love a recipe if you're willing!

And to the OP, DD is also in the same boat and we've tried it every which way... one childcare provider was willing to cook and accomodate her allergies (DD loved having the same thing as the others), one place I just sent whatever I wanted from home regardless of what the others were having (DD loved having something special from home) and, for a bit, I tried to send something like what the others were having but that was safe for her (this was DDs least fave since it was never exactly the same). Just try and see what works for your family.
As for holidays, DD and I alwas bake some special cookies or cupcakes together to share and make or buy something little to pass out (ie made mini I-spy bags once, bought stickers once...). Her childcare providers have always gotten her some cute little non-food treats to have and have just passed out their giveaways at the end of the day so as to not draw attention to the fact that the others were getting somethibg different.
Sorry for typos, nak.
This is my cheddar cracker recipe. It has a good flavor, but I've had trouble getting them thin enough to get crispy, so it's a work in progress. As for Ritz, I give up. I buy the Aldi's knock off "snack" crackers.

If anyone is interested, this is my graham cracker recipe. The whole wheat is too much for my family, so I made a batch that was half white/half wheat flour and then are spot-on. I needed to divide the batch into 2 to make them the right thickness though. Oh well, there's always next time.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well DS gets sick from dairy and soy. We had him off gluten for 7 months then gradually put him back on it since he was sneaking it and not getting sick. LOL! He now does ok on it we think, but need to test him for celiacs possibly once he is a bit older again. (Tested once when was off gluten for 2 weeks beforehand and it was negative.) Dairy and soy give him tummy aches, diarrhea, and make him just plain not himself. We do allow him a bite here and there with these things, but only due to not being able to find alternatives to his favorite foods AKA 5 goldfish crackers for a treat (anymore than this and we are in trouble).

I like the allergy free crackers like ritz, gluten free/allergy free cookies, and etc. but they are SO costly. I might get a few boxes of these to send to the class for him only, but I just know I need to make some things to save money. I have a great allergy free chocolate chip cookie recipe which I might have some fun making for him soon. In the class he is going to the parents each send 1 large box of something simple like a box of goldfish crackers, a pack of cookies, etc. then each day the teachers pull out 1 box and give each child some. Does this make sense? I don't want him to be completely different so he gets made fun of, yet I want him to know that he is special in some way. KWIM? Oh the decisions.

Keep the ideas coming mamas. I would love more ideas. It is SO good to know I'm not alone in this.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would talk to his teachers about how to present his allergy to the class. I have had a few day care kids that have allergies and while I'm very conscientious about fixing food without those allergens, occasionally there are conflicts and those kids were served something different than everyone else. For a long time, no one said anything and when someone asked, we had a conversation then about certain food's make ___'s tummy hurt and have really bad poops (I deal with 2's and 3's, so they certainly understood that language! LOL!). Then I explained that we have to make sure ___ stays healthy and feels good in our school. The other kids agreed and any time he is served something different, someone always makes a comment about how we need all of our friends to be healthy and happy. So, my point is (sorry that was long-winded), that if it is presented in a positive way, no one should be making fun of your DS, even if he has a different snack.

You could make also mini muffins, cookies, small pb & j sandwiches and send them in frozen and they could just pull out a serving and let it thaw a few minutes before snack time (I think they thaw in about 15 minutes or so-or they could be put in the microwave for a few seconds to rewarm).

Good subs for butter in baking are oil (canola or coconut), applesauce, and mashed banana.

The only time soy came into play in what I make/made was when I used to use margarine that was dairy free. But now, the little boy I watch can tolerate cooked dairy, so I use real butter.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As a preschool teacher I have had many children with allergies in my classes. I have had parents send in boxes or snack size packages of the snacks the child can eat and give them to the child each day. I have had parents send in the snacks each day also. I have not had any issues with children poking fun at a child with allergies eating something different. We also talk to the children about not sharing foods so the child does not get sick. For special treats we had the parent send in special treats (cupcakes/cookies) and kept them in the freezer for birthday parties and special treake we kept, just in case, we had a special treat.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelgurl137 View Post
I like the allergy free crackers like ritz, gluten free/allergy free cookies, and etc. but they are SO costly. I might get a few boxes of these to send to the class for him only, but I just know I need to make some things to save money. I have a great allergy free chocolate chip cookie recipe which I might have some fun making for him soon. In the class he is going to the parents each send 1 large box of something simple like a box of goldfish crackers, a pack of cookies, etc. then each day the teachers pull out 1 box and give each child some.
Yes, it is very costly to purchase allergy-friendly premade foods. They also aren't very nutritious usually. It is really quite easy to deal with allergies when you home cook everything. Even though I am a fullt-ime WAHM, I NEED to cook everything for DD. We've found 2 restaurants that are willing to deal with her allergies. Even if we travel, I bring her food. It's quite easy once you get used to it. I almost never buy any true substitutes, I just know that I can use oil for butter, pumpkin or flax seed or vinegar or Salba for eggs,etc. You will get used to it and it will become second-nature.
I am surprised that a preschool serves prepackaged snacks every day anyhow. Perhaps your son's allergies will become a mixed blessing for them too!
Koolio11 is offline   Reply With Quote