Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
.sweetdreams.
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pressure/contractions? Lasting 6 hours today...

I just went to my 26wk appt yesterday and mentioned the contractions and pressure I had last week . My doctor told me that since its my third pregnancy its normal for me to feel that way. She said i did the right thing in drinking lots of water and walking to see if they got more intense and closer together. Since they stopped, she said I shouldnt be alarmed or worried about early labor. She did offer to check me for dilation even though they dont like to do so this early (risk of infection and 'stiring things up'). I declined because I agreed with them on the reasons not to. I have to go every 2wks for appts now anyway (due to being on beta blockers) and get NST's and U\S's done every week.

I feel alot better now about the situation and am relieved! I was worried that it wasnt normal. now that i know it is, and that I can call them 24-7 even for something silly, I feel 100% better about it.

Advertisement

.sweetdreams. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #22
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

wow..... glad its normal! I'm on my 3rd also, so maybe thats what mine is too...

last night, i started having contractions at 5, and they began to come 3 minutes apart! For an hour!! After that, they slowed to every 10 mins unless i got up to go pee, then they sped up to about every 5 minutes. they began lasting 20 seconds, then lengthened to about 35. i called the dr. he said if they get worse, call again. They finally quite at 10:30....5.5 hours later!! I was relaly really kind of scared ....i'm not a fan of all of this stuff! I will be 29 weeks tomorrow, and the nearest nicu is an hour away...

I'm taking it really easy today, and my MIL has offered to take the kids, so fine with me..i really want a day to try to keep these contractions at bay.

Katie, Wife to my WONDERFUL Hubby, Roger, (7/01/06) SAHM to Christopher (7/25/07) and to Patrick (3/3/09), and Little Miss Maggie Jo (10/3/2010)
howmanykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #23
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My fetal fibronectin came back negative, which is good, but they told me not to "run around" and take it easy. Ok, I'll try not to run around!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
.sweetdreams.
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it is normal but also better to be safe then sorry. Thats why I mentioned it at my appiontment. I kinda did want to get checked for dilation but I was thinking that if I did dilate that them checking me could cause me to possibly dilate more.

I plan on calling if it happens again. I know mine were not closer together then 10 minutes. The pressure was intense and was in my pelvic area and started to radiate into my legs. at first I wanted to panic because I got scared but I knew if I did that DH would really panic! So I forced myself to calm down and walk and drink water and go from there.

We have a really good NICU at the hospital I am delivering in thankfully and its only about 15mins away. I already have to have them evaluate the baby when she's born because of the medications I am on. Theres a small risk I could go into preterm labor from those medications but they reassured me at my last appt that they dont think I'll deliver before 37wks.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #25
.sweetdreams.
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is anyone else dealing with any pregnancy issues or are on any medications that make them worry that these contractions\pressure is preterm labor?

Just wondering if I am alone or not. I havent come across anyone so far dealing with the same issues as me and it makes me feel kind of alone I was told women with diabetes and hypertension have to go through the same testing and risks as me though so I assume there has to be a few people out there that worry like me.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #26
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sweetdreams. View Post
Is anyone else dealing with any pregnancy issues or are on any medications that make them worry that these contractions\pressure is preterm labor?

Just wondering if I am alone or not. I havent come across anyone so far dealing with the same issues as me and it makes me feel kind of alone I was told women with diabetes and hypertension have to go through the same testing and risks as me though so I assume there has to be a few people out there that worry like me.
What meds are they? I'm on a bunch of meds this pregnancy (where as my last ones I never took medicine unless I was sick). I'm on a lot of asthma/allergy drugs and hypothyroid meds this time and I do admit to being very worried about this little one early on. I never considered anything to do with ptl, though.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #27
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not on an meds, but they found a fibroid tumor in with the baby that measured about 10 cm....it can def. cause preterm labor...dr, was more concerned, but since it has quit growing, he's not as conerned as he was. don't know.....glad i'm not on an meds, but am really glad that you get to deliver near a NICU!!!

Katie, Wife to my WONDERFUL Hubby, Roger, (7/01/06) SAHM to Christopher (7/25/07) and to Patrick (3/3/09), and Little Miss Maggie Jo (10/3/2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #28
.sweetdreams.
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm on a Beta blocker, Propranolol. I was sent to a neurologist for severe miagraines because they started with the pregnancy and were severe. Vomiting all the time, no weight gain, couldnt even go outside in the light and heat, was bothered by smells,lights,sounds,touch, etc. I was miserable but also in pain and was told the pain is actually worse because without the meds it would raise my blood pressure and also cause me to start contracting. I was told that another beta blocker is used all the time in pregnancies for women who start contracting early to stop their contractions. But the one I am on is rarely ever used. My neuro has been doing his pratice for 30yrs and said he never had a case as bad as mine where he had to prescribe Propranolol even though he heard of it. My OB office had to look up guidelines and future testing precedures because they have never dealt with someone being on that beta blocker either. I have to be montiored for the babys growth and heartrate stabilty with NSTS every week and U\S every 4wks starting next week(28wks).

Needless to say, DH and I were stressed and worried. I felt extremely selfish as well that I am on these meds which can possibly harm our baby. Our last appt was far more reassuring though which really lifted my mood. The dr said these are all just precautions and alot of women with pregnancy related hypertenison and diabetes who take insulin are going through the same testing. It doesnt ness. mean preterm labor. The testing is to catch and stop that from happening. Its just that I feel extremely lonely not having anyone else to talk to who is on the same meds. I cant seem to find much online that is more informative or has other women on this specific med

I will say that being on this site helps alot because so many women share their stories and have diffrent issues they are going through. It makes me remember to stay postive and feel blessed that at least my babys health is doing well right now, even if I am not. alot of people are going through so much worse situations right now and it puts things in prespective for me.
Stephanie Wife to Tom(3\18\06) ,SAHM to Sarah(5\10\06) and Julianna(3\16\09)Expecting Baby#3 (11\24\10)
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
.sweetdreams.
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howmanykids View Post
I'm not on an meds, but they found a fibroid tumor in with the baby that measured about 10 cm....it can def. cause preterm labor...dr, was more concerned, but since it has quit growing, he's not as conerned as he was. don't know.....glad i'm not on an meds, but am really glad that you get to deliver near a NICU!!!
wow, i am glad it has stopped growing! I have never had a fibroid tumor but I know people who have, just not while pregnant. I hope everything goes well for you and you dont go into PML because of it.

I was never on any meds my previous pregnancies. I had no idea the journey I would be going through this time around! lol. Not only am I on a beta blocker which requires more montioring but they put me on Zoloft to ward of extreme PPD, which I went through with both previous pregnancies. My youngest is 17 mons so I was basically still going through PPD with her when I got pregnant and my OB thought it outweighed any risk to put me on it during my 2nd trimester and keep me on it after delivery. Both medications require the NICU to be present at the birth but they are one of the best (besides hersey med. center) in our area. So that is somewhat reasurring for DH and I.
Stephanie Wife to Tom(3\18\06) ,SAHM to Sarah(5\10\06) and Julianna(3\16\09)Expecting Baby#3 (11\24\10)
Old 08-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wish I could help you! I was on Propanolol before I was pregnant with ds1. We decided that it wasn't helping, so I quit using it before I was pregnant. I have some crazy issues where i pass out. WE have found out more of what is causing it, and so i am avoiding those things, and it has helped more than the meds ever did. I HATE that you have migraines like that! THat is just horrible! and, i have actually heard of quite a few mamas on Zoloft, and their babes were just fine! Keep us updated, k?