Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
abaigeal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! What would you do?

I start back to work in a week and DD is still not taking a bottle. We have tried a lot of different ones even a sippy cup. She is 5 months old and will be 6 when I go back. I am a teacher so I will not be home till 4. Her routine has been eat around 6:30am sleep till 9 get up and eat a little play and then she nurses to sleep again around 11 and can sleep till 1/2. Then she will eat again. I won't be home for 3 feedings and I worry she won't eat.

So I was thinking of starting her on baby food or cereal with bm while I am at work so she will get something in her tummy. When I have worked a couple days before DH has brought her to me at lunch or she refused bottle and slept all day and nursed all evening.

Any suggestions for me what to do? I have to work...it'sw not a choice and I will pump while I'm there I just feel super guilty for leaving her knowing she might not eat for DH.

Advertisement

Wildtree consultant-feed your family healthier
http://www.mywildtree.com/abbycravillion/
abaigeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
alexsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! What would you do?

I took care of a little girl (mom is a teacher, too) who REFUSED all bottles, cups, eye droppers - can you tell we were desperate? She was 6 months when she started here. She also nursed to sleep. She only ate baby food for me after about 8 months.
It was tough - I think more for her Mom and I than her.

She would start to fuss at the times she usually nursed. I would offer a bottle, she would refuse, but would calm down - she never took more than 1/2 oz. She eventually became a swing addict at nap time - we actually had to wean her off the white noise, then the swing at 14 months!

Mom would nurse her as soon as she came through the door and she cluster fed all night long.

We made it through. After we stopped offering the bottle at every whimper (that just made her mad) and only offered at her regular feeding times we came to an understanding. I would not make her drink it and she would not scream at me
She's now a happy, healthy 2 1/2 year old who eats everything in site. It wasn't what I thought she needed or what her mom thought she needed, but she never lost weight. In fact, she was always bigger than my son who is 2 months older. It might be hard, but everyone will survive!

Last edited by alexsmom; 08-19-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: forgot something!
alexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
tonimk19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd see if your DH or someone else can offer a bottle without you being in the room (unless you've tried that. even then it may take a while). It took DD many different bottles and attempts before she'd take anything and even then it was 1-2 oz max (all teh way until I weaned from pumping at work when she was 13 months). I'd try a cup (without sippy), spoon, or dropper and keep trying the bottle. Hopefully she'll catch on if she wants to eat. Though she will be fussy/ frustrated. Who wants a bottle if you got the boob? Nurse her up to the very last second you leave for work and the second you pick her up. I wouldn't start solids just yet.

She may reverse cycle and start nursing more at night instead of during the day to make it for it. That's normal. Good luck on your first day back at work Mama!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
abaigeal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have tried feeding her when I was out of the room and not at home. She just hates it. I even joked with DH that he needed to start pumping so he would lactate and feed her. Ya he didn't think that was funny. I guess if it's really bad he may have to drive to school 10 min away from home at lunch for me to feed her.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimk19 View Post
I'd see if your DH or someone else can offer a bottle without you being in the room (unless you've tried that. even then it may take a while). It took DD many different bottles and attempts before she'd take anything and even then it was 1-2 oz max (all teh way until I weaned from pumping at work when she was 13 months). I'd try a cup (without sippy), spoon, or dropper and keep trying the bottle. Hopefully she'll catch on if she wants to eat. Though she will be fussy/ frustrated. Who wants a bottle if you got the boob? Nurse her up to the very last second you leave for work and the second you pick her up. I wouldn't start solids just yet.

She may reverse cycle and start nursing more at night instead of during the day to make it for it. That's normal. Good luck on your first day back at work Mama!
Right on, I second this! Even if you just go outside so she sees you leave to have your DH try and feed her with a bottle or cup. If she knows your home she will just want you, once she believes you are not home then she may be more apt to trying something else but it may take a few hours or fussing screaming crying. Don't worry she is not going to starve we all have survival instincts even as babies she will eat once she is hungry enough and knows mommy's breast is not readily available. For dd I had to squeeze some of the breast milk onto the outside of the bottles nipple and drip it in her mouth to let her taste it and recognize it was mommy's milk just different containment. I had to do it because I was and still am a single mommy so I didn't have a dh/so to work with her on this. Granted I returned to work when she was only 6 weeks old but even at that age they know something is different.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
animegeekmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worked full-time for a few months when DS3 was 3 mo - 6 mo (until DH got a raise so I can stay home now) and DS3 REFUSED the bottle. He would take maybe 1/2 oz. I was soooo worried. But he would feed a lot when I got home, and all thru the night. Some babies adjust themselves and feed more at night. Or you could try to go right to a sippy. The Nuby cup is great b/c the spout is so soft. DS3 would take this a little bit. He would gnaw on the spout instead of suck and get a little pumped milk from that. He still to this day wont really take a sippy :P GL mama! Try a Nuby!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried a regular cup? My daughter is fascinated with cups and LOVES to drink water from a cup. She was about 6 months when she could drink from one and hold it (now she's almost 7 months). Have you tried that?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
abaigeal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have tried a cup she does like it however my DH does not have the patience for that. He's home with both nof them. I will keep working on that though cause he's gonna need to do something

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Have you tried a dropper (like you give liquid medicine with)? My DD will not drink from a bottle or sippy cup for anything or anyone but she will swallow it if I pump a bottle and DH drops it in her mouth with a dropper. Sure does take a loooong time though.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
abaigeal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have suggested the dropper to DH but she has such a strong gag reflex that she gags and pukes when giving her meds so we haven't tried. I can though.

how many ounces at a feeding should a 6 mo get?