View Poll Results: Do you smoke around your kids?
yes 3 2.42%
no 116 93.55%
sometimes 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
tinytoeskidstore
Registered Users

My Mood:
Do you smoke around your kids?

I own a kids store and i get things in about 75% of the time they reak of cigarette smoke. Carseats that smell so bad you cant breath, clothes, toys and so much more. That got me thinking, how many people smoke around their kids? If you do whats your reason? Im not being harsh in any way i guess i just thought alot less would not smoke around kids and im just curious.

Advertisement

tinytoeskidstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
n_kragh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you smoke around your kids?

I had my first daughter when I was 18 and I did smoke around her, not in the house, but in the car. I quit after my second daughter was born and haven't smoked or let anyone else smoke anywhere near them

SAH, Daycare Provider, Homeschooling, Mommy to Kaylee (11) Brooklyn (7) Emerson (5) Tatum (3) and Reece Addison (April 2012)
n_kragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:

I used to smoke around my 1st. I really regret it. It was stupid and selfish. I quit to get pregnant with my second and don't let anyone smoke around them. There dad does smoke, but not around them, however he does have two dedicated seats in his car and he does sometimes smoke in the car with the seats there when the kids aren't there. I don't even like that, but it's a concession I have to make I guess.
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Neither of us has ever smoked and we do not allow other people to smoke around our children. We also stay away from smoke ourselves. MIL and SIL are the only ones that smoke in our family and they understand how we fell so it is not a problem.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I only smoke when I have a few drinks, so I never smoke around DS. Taylor smokes outside only, so if DS is outside he comes around it a little bit, but he never smokes with Josh in the car and definitely not inside. ever. I think it is important for parents to know that just because they go outside though doesn't mean that you aren't exposing your children to secondhand smoke. If anyone that lives in your house or is around your children at all they can be exposed to at least SOME of the secondhand smoke, even if it is very very minimal. I mean just think, have you ever wiped your eye after you smoked a cigarette? It burns doesn't it? or is that just me?

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't smoke but SO does (minimally, tho'). He only smokes outside and nothing ever smells like smoke in our house. He is even grossed out by it but can't quite kick it yet!
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
eapoosmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

quit smoking in 1989. that would be a no.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
tinytoeskidstore
Registered Users

My Mood:

Maybe its my area? Im not sure....haha, there was one lady in my store last week and she was talking to me saying when her kids turn 18 then they can make the decision to be around her smoking or not. Until then they will have to deal with it. She smokes in the house, in the car....wherever she wants witht he kids. It just made my stomach turn. YUCK! I dont see a problem with smoking outside, but WHY would you smoke in the house or in the car with kids?!

Thanks everyone for the responses!
tinytoeskidstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

I do not smoke around my two daughters. I did in the car (never in the home) with my 1st, but when I quit to get pregnant with DD2 I wouldn't let anyone smoke in my car anymore. I did end up smoking again after DD2 was born, but we do not smoke inside or in the car, and I prefer not to smoke around my kids outside (I make ODD walk into the yard and she knows to stay away from me, DD2 is a 10 m. old and rarely comes outside). I completely regret smoking in the car around ODD, she had back to back ear infections til she had tubes inserted and between daycare sicknesses and me smoking around her I know it's mostly my fault.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't smoke and I do not allow other people to smoke around my children. I also stay away from smoke myself. I get really agitated when I am at a kids part of a park and adults are smoking. Personally it is unacceptable if you want those toxins in your body fine but the rest of us shouldn't have to ask you to not smoke around them it is common courtesy.