Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Rebeldream
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Has anyone else ever done this? (Written phone number on kids?)

We're getting ready for a trip to the zoo tomorrow so this was on my mind today and I thought I'd see if I was the only person who does it...

When we're going to be somewhere where my kids could get separated from me (especially when I'm alone with them, without DH or my mom), I write my cell phone number somewhere on their skin out of site, but easily accessable. (Like on their shoulder just under their shirt sleeve or on their thigh just under their shorts, etc.)

I've taught them that if they can't find me, that they should NOT wander around looking for me; they should stay put and turn around in a circle and look for a mommy (a woman with a baby or small children in a stroller). They should politely tell her that they are lost and would she please call their mommy, then show her the phone number.

We've never had to implement this, thank goodness, but the idea that I could be contacted almost immediately upon them being separated from me eases my mind a bit. We go over the plan before we get where we're going, then as I'm writing my number on them before we leave the vehicle so it's fresh in their minds.

I have no idea where I got this from, other than when DD was little I wrote my info on a business-sized card and put in her back pocket, only to realize when we got home that it wasn't there so it must have fallen out at some point, making it totally useless. I wanted something that would stay with them at all times just in case.

Advertisement

Swagbucks Pre-PL'ing Diaper Stash My Love of Cloth Rebel MCloth Tutorial
Rebeldream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone else ever done this? (Written phone number on kids?)

I have never heard of this,but it seems like a good idea,as long as no one knows it's there. My only concern would be if it was easy to see someone could trace the number to where you live and then they would know where the child is,but if it hidden that a good idea.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, i think that is a good idea.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
ForeverInLove
Registered Users

I had gotten these 'tattoos' as a free sample in the mail... my son ruined them already. he ripped the back plastic off and got them full of cat hair BUT

They said something to the effect of, "If I am lost, please all xxx-xxx-xxxx" After you applied the tattoo, you used a pen or sharpie marker to write your number on them.
ForeverInLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

I took my little sisters to Sea World a few years ago and I put our name and phone number on a piece of paper inside their shoes. I actually laced it into their sneakers. It was SUPER busy there and though we did not need to use the system we drilled it into their heads on the car trip there and again right before arriving.

Only I told them to go into one of the little stores or find someone w/ a name tag that said Sea World on it and tell them they were lost. My littlest sis was 5 at the time and a bit spacey, so I was mostly worried about her.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We haven't written on our kids but they have used the business card with our cell # in the back pocket every year when we go to the fair here and they stay put. We haven't had to use them but now I am worried because it can happen and if the card gets lost then I'd have to hope my kid listens not to go looking for me and stays put.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
NotOnMyBaby
Registered Users
seller

Never done it- dont have a LO old enough to worry yet. But I think it is a smart idea!
NotOnMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My family has skiied since we were very young(I learned when I was 2, as the baby so they didnt have to find a babysitter for me! lol) We always had a something zippered into our coat, as well as usually a necklace that held a small container that contained our name/address/health issues. It's so easy to get lost on a mountain, especially if you hvae such extreme difference in levels of skiiers.

We usually set up a meeting point as well in case anyone was lost that our parents could check pretty frequently(it's not quite as simple to just stay where you are on a mountain).
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Mobrevic
Registered Users
seller

Location: In the wonderful Black Hills....if you like that sort of thing. Me I perfer the beach.
My Mood:

I have plastic name tag holders that they wear as a necklace. It has a "CHAD" sticker that we get from our local fire department (like for carseats) I put all their important info on it. My name and number dads name and number emergancy contact and their dr name and number....that way also if they are hurt someone knows their info say they were unable to communicate with them. It is also good in the event something were to happen to me. All my kids and daycare kids have them and wear them everytime we go anywhere. Not to mention I just put them in the glove box when we are not using them.
Mobrevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

that's a really really good idea. my oldest is 10 and knows my phone number and the 5 year old is learning but sometimes forgets. i think on a child maybe 6 and younger, this is a great idea. they don't have to remember a thing other than where the spot is.