Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
nikiahunt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Red face Diabetic Cooking Help?

So, I have been invited to a family reunion by my maternal grandmother. She requests that I bring either a dessert or a salad to the affair, which is outdoors at a park.
She is diabetic, and I know a lot of the guests won't be taking this into account. Therefore, I have decided to make my dish something diabetic friendly.
She loves pecan pie, and I have found several recipes for diabetic pecan pie online, but I am not familiar enough with diabetes to figure out how much sugar is per serving in such a dish so I can let her know.
So, does anyone have a diabetic pecan pie recipe with this information and that has little sugar per serving?
And if not, any suggestions on a salad or dessert that is diabetic friendly?
I would love some ideas, it doesn't have to have anything to do with pecan pie! TIA!!

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diabetic Cooking Help?

I can't help with the pecan pie. I made one for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago (my mom is diabetic) and it was TERRIBLE! I think there are some things that just don't translate well to sugar-free versions. I don't know what types of things she likes, but I've got a couple that are pretty good. Also, depending on how touchy her blood sugar is, chances are, if you are consciously making something low in sugar, she'll be okay. And probably aware that she'll need to not overindulge anyway. Just my experience with diabetics though.

This one is SUPER good-it's a fruit dip (you can serve with any type of fresh fruit-which will have natural sugar, but the body absorbs it differently); mix one container of sugar free cool whip with one packet of sugar free white chocolate instant pudding mix and one large container of sugar free (lite) strawberry yogurt. You can also freeze it and eat it like ice cream.

Another one is a strawberry cake:
Mix 2 large packets of sugar free strawberry jell-o mix with 2 cups boiling water. Add in 2 containers of sliced frozen strawberries with splenda (thawed). In a 9x13 pan tear 2 sugar free angel food cakes (found in the bakery at the supermarket) into bite size pieces and place in the pan. Pour the jell-o mixture over the cake. Pack down lightly with a spoon. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Serve with sugar free cool-whip.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
nikiahunt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mmm, I'll have to keep looking for that pecan pie, maybe try a couple recipes and hope for the best.
And I'll have your delicious sounding cake to fall back on!
Thank you!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
ladymeag
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ex-husband is diabetic. I also never found a good substitute pecan pie recipe - there's just no way to get that flavor, I think.

I've got some great peanut butter cookie, cheesecake, black forest cherry cake and some other recipes.

Remember, with diabetes the sugar is not the only consideration - you need to take fat, salt, over all carbohydrates and artificial ingredients (some can mess with insulin levels) into account.

HTH!